ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smashed the Cup

VW Potato

youre missing the point, boss - in your case, the forward deceleration was not enough to warrant their deployment. If you go to the NCAP crash test site, search for the Clio and see the damage done to the car; now, compare the front of your car, to that NCAP crash tested car, and youll see quite a difference.

g

You do NOT want an airbag going off in a 20 mph crash. Airbags arent some nice cumfy cushions to protect you in a minor shunt. They are an explosive device and are only necessary in life threatening crashes to prevent serious injury or death. They can even cause some injuries.

Your passenger probably hit his head on the side of the door not the windscreen or front a-pillar.

Volvo S60 T5

Hope you are ok mate, sorry to hear about what happened.

Get the car checked by the Vehicle Inspectorate (VOSA), they will provide a report for you.

As to the airbags the vehicle involved in an accident has to meet certain criteria before the airbag computer will deploy the airbags, sounds like yours spun out and was not a head on collision in which the airbags would have deployed for certain. The airbag computer has a piezo electric sensor inside that is designed to trigger under a certain amout of decelation, I expect the seatbelt pre-tensioners went off ok.

;)

2012 WRX Waggon

What a bummer - hope everything gets sorted for u.

Oh and BTW - Audi A4 1.8T - Wont pull the skin of a rice pudding!!

trust me I know ;)

This airbags not going off is obviously a generic clio problem, my mates 1.2 16v didnt go off either and it was a serious crash!

Tappd'd RS

sorry to hear of your mis-fortune mate :(

I get quite a rubbing noise when I let my car freewheel backwards down my drive way when I first start it up.

Is this normal?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I dont think any kind of rubbing is normal and should be treated as a problem.

B@llsie, Id get that looked at. Are you sure its not your brakes biting for the first time since the previous day? for the first hundred yards or so my cup breaks feel a bt weird but once warmed up they are fine.

check put the ABS post.. its interesting and everone has an opinion. i think ABS is the dogs when it comes to superslam ons.

phill*

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by ZZip on 30 October 2003

How do TVR drivers manage without it ?
Or Maclaren F1, Ferrari, Lotus, etc... drivers!

There are a LOT of cars without ABS

George

When my Cup was written off it was 6 months old. I had the replacement car if it was less than 12 months old. They paid me out at £12,300 as that was the price they could get a new one for but the delivery time was over 3 months and i could not be without a car for that long so they paid me out.

Suzuki SV1000S

That doesnt sound to bad. hopefully it will be soughted soon, a private company is still investigating the incident.

Then I shall be buying a lexus Altezza

Suzuki SV1000S

Yeah still waiting for investiagtion to end - madness nearly a month now. Spoke to the guy today who said they are waiting for license from the dvla or something - but he has written to me with a figure for the car - should be interesting eh!

The Altezza I am looking at is black and has a tiptronic gearbox.

It also has (get this) voice activated stereo, headlights and sat nav.

So cant wait to have a look at that beauty it also says it has 270bhp but the standard on the altezza is 210 so will be interesting to see what hes done.

I was however also thinking about kilmards clio 16v and then dumping the cup engine in it- oh decisions decisions

I think people should learn to drive before blaming the car for electrical probs which is quite frankly laughable.

Im sorry about your crash but when the red mist comes down people expect too much of their car, the laws of physics, forget road conditions etc and then blame the car.

Quote: Originally posted by christimson on 12 November 2003

I think people should learn to drive before blaming the car for electrical probs which is quite frankly laughable.

Im sorry about your crash but when the red mist comes down people expect too much of their car, the laws of physics, forget road conditions etc and then blame the car.
Get a grip! He has already said on several occations that he was following a Zafria doing 50 mph, which is certainly not going to out handle a cup! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!! not everyone out there is the boyracer type that cannot handle a car, and feel the need to hash it everywhere, some of us that have spent 10k plus on our cars donr really want to arrange it nicely round a tree.

If he says he was following another car and not going fast who the hell are you to question it?? Where you there? Was it you Zafira an you saw something?

FOOL.

Amen.

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 24 October 2003

Guys the airbags would ofcourse helped. The guy sitting in the front passenger seat had a massive bruise on the front of his head (ouch). Anyway only going on what the guy at the garage said. Anyway come on habing a head - on crash at 55mph, I would expect the airbags to come whether it be 55 or 20.
from the pictures .....i would strongly doubt thats a 55 mph impact...i see accident damaged cars nearly everyday from clios to mercs ............ there would be alot more damage than that ! its not head on which would explain why the airbags didnt deploy...looks like a deflection... id say it was more like 20-25mph ..(bearing in mind you must have braked) & everything happens in 10ths of a second...& it looks like youve gone through a barbed wire fence with all the scratches .... & i really dont think youll get anywhere trying to claim from renault.......ur dad is a solicitor......whoopy do !! renno have 100s of them, much higher paid & more experinced !!, from the look of the pictures & the discription given id say youve just joined the other 98% of road accidents which are a direct result of .....Driver Error !

main thing is you and anyone else involved are alive (even tho a little bruised & a deflated ego) cars can be replaced....people however cant !

and just to correct one thing.....its not a case of people expecting too much of their car............more a case of people not knowing the limitations & taking into consideration the given conditions (i.e dry/wet , type of road surface etc etc) & seriously over estimating their own capabilitys.

you may lose 17.5% of the value of the car due to tax plus a reduction for 4k miles of ware & tare. you should have got gap insurance for peace of mind. At least no-one was seriously hurt. Possibly your power steering pump may have failed, making steering very heavy and difficult to turn.

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 23 October 2003

Air bags dont do much anyway, they were invented for the USA market because ppl there dont wear seat belt as often, and in some states its not law. If your wearing a seat belt an airbag is pretty useless.
Wrong. National law.

Suzuki SV1000S

Christimson - you have really got to learn to read all the posts first.

FatherTed - Do you have something against me or what. Also you dont know me or my dad who actually is the highest paid solicitor in lincolns inn fields in london which is were all the main solicitors work *really pisses me off*. I mean I wasnt trying to say that because he is a solicitor that all will be ok but after the renault technician looked at the car and said that I should have a strong case I thought that it would be a goodm idea to ask my dad rather than going to another solicitor and paying someone else 2500 an hour would you not agree muppet man.

Also you may be right about the speed, but I have had 5 clios now and have been on numerous track days in my brothers cerbera and vanquish and so like to think that I do know how to handle a car. So if anyone else would like to mention driver error please dont bother posting.

Cheers Si and J13EOB for actually reading all the posts!

George,

Ive seen Cerbera and Vanquishs driven very badly too. The Cup is probably much quicker around twisty circuits and b roads than either of those barges.

Its just that everyone is quick to blame their tools as people think theyre the best driver in the world. Its human nature really. Perhaps some driver training and some basic understanding about car dynamics, steering and braking might be helpfull to you.

Maybe your dad could get you some lessons for christmas!

If everybody started suing manufacturers when they have a little bump, all we will get from them will be Volvos with 1 litre engines.

Take the lumps and consider yourself lucky. It sounds as if you can well afford a new car and higher insurance.

Just be thankful you werent driving the TVR or Aston Martin!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by paulous2k on 23 October 2003

Has anyone got a photo of this myserious spring on the brake? Just checked under my brand new Cup and cant see any spring on the rear brakes!
we have had a memo stating that the spring missing is normal although it does sound unsafe to me.your dealer might fit youone under warranty but you would have to take it up with them.