ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoked by a 106 GTi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  MK1 Clio (soon to be V6)
Got beat by my mates 106 GTi this christmas... wasn't happy. He's on 17's, has a full interior and was carrying a passenger. My phase 1 Clio 16v is stripped of its interior, on lightweight 15's and was on my own. Both cars have no internal engine work, just an induction kit and a full de-cat system. He starting pulling away in 3rd gear ? ? ? ? ? Any ideas what the fook is goin on ere ? ? ? ? ?

PaStY ;)

These things seem to surprise a few people. They are quick. Think it's the fact it doesn't weight much. Same engine as a VTS I think.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
yep same engine as a VTS, my mates 106 GTI is quick and easily keeps up with my 172

shouldn't have pulled on you IMO! stripped out interior against a 106 with 2 people and on 17's.... something not right with your valver or he has mods he is not telling you about!!!

Clio 182 built in Sat Nav
exactly same as a VTS, 120bhp and 8.4 to 60.
but a clio 16v with one person in should have done him easy, maybe u screwed a gear change up or something!!! lol

Adam

VTS is lighter and a fair bit quicker to 60 than a GTi.

Although the I/K and de-cat zorst will do a lot more on them than on our 1.8s!

MKIII 138
R20GRC said:
yep same engine as a VTS, my mates 106 GTI is quick and easily keeps up with my 172

you must have one of the slower 172`s then as my cup passes them fairly easy. however a few tweaks and there v.quick for what they are as they weight nout. just ditch the back seats and get some buckets in the front + a few breathing mods and suspension and you have a pocket rocket.. even so i think it would need more power to keep with a cup or 182 tbh as ive passed a fair few without any real problems. sure low down light weight cars punch above their weight but just like a lotus elise will do 5.7 to 60 on only 120hp by the time it gets to 80mph the cup will sail by due to more grunt in the same way upto 115/120 a 172/182 will start to get passed by CTR`s

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Tom have you seen a white 106 GTI with 17" Chromes and tints going around Llandudno? its my mates, he's got a stupidly loud exhaust on it these days.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
mine pulls away a bit but not much, he's done a lot of mods to the engine though (cams, manifold, decat, stupidly loud straight through exhaust system, viper, etc, etc )

modifiedmadness said:
Got beat by my mates 106 GTi this christmas... wasn't happy. He's on 17's, has a full interior and was carrying a passenger. My phase 1 Clio 16v is stripped of its interior, on lightweight 15's and was on my own. Both cars have no internal engine work, just an induction kit and a full de-cat system. He starting pulling away in 3rd gear ? ? ? ? ? Any ideas what the fook is goin on ere ? ? ? ? ?

PaStY ;)

your car's broke... 17's and an extra passenger he had? you should have blown him into the weeds mate, especially if your stripped...

your open IK wont be helping though, it will lose you power throughout the rev range, but even then i'd have thought you'd be able to leave it for dead... unless of course his is highly modified and there's something he's not telling you...

Ian, what made you come to that conclusion? lol

MK1 Clio (soon to be V6)
Yeah, its musn't be running right... CANT BE! Thats why i was surprised, i know they are quick... but i should have killed him! :(

fao 'meggerman', its not a 172, i got a phase 1 16v.

Clio 172 mk2
I had trouble with a Suzuki Swift yesterday in my 172 (laughter).....there are times when I wish I'd gone for that evo!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive raced a valver or 2 in my time and also 106's.In my experience the 106's put up a better fight than the valvers ever did.They both seemed standard too

ian

Clio 172 mk2
My old 19 16v had a real lack of torque....not sure wether it's characterisic of the engine of wether it was the K&N ind kit though.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
you must have one of the slower 172`s then as my cup passes them fairly easy. however a few tweaks and there v.quick for what they are as they weight nout. just ditch the back seats and get some buckets in the front + a few breathing mods and suspension and you have a pocket rocket.. even so i think it would need more power to keep with a cup or 182 tbh as ive passed a fair few without any real problems. sure low down light weight cars punch above their weight but just like a lotus elise will do 5.7 to 60 on only 120hp by the time it gets to 80mph the cup will sail by due to more grunt in the same way upto 115/120 a 172/182 will start to get passed by CTR`s

Good comment meggerman

ian

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
VTS is lighter and a fair bit quicker to 60 than a GTi

Same car, same weight, same speed, manufacturers figures are different as pug test with a passenger and full tank of fuel and citroen with no passenger and hardly any fuel.

Evo tested 106 gti at 7.4 to 60. Decent ones push out 130bhp as standard (ive had two :D).

Light breathing mods, ie Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold, pugsport induction & exhaust will give good gains (i got 148bhp with them).

Excellent cars. But 172/182 is better from 80mph plus.

Golf 7R
106 gti was my previous car, very quick for what they are, and the handling is superb, not sure it should have pulled on your valver IMO but in my cup i play with them.

Vee dub
they seem relatively even tbh (106 gti and valver)

you get quick and slow ones.. my valver has some great tussles with my mates VTS.. no clear winner... ever!

1996 Valver
ian 182 said:
106 will beat a valver ,not by much but it will

ian

Had loads of races with GTI's as a good mate of my has one, Very similar to 60 then the valver always pulls through!!!!

Clio 172 mk2
Don't usually 'race' other cars on public roads prefer to leave boy racers with their 'race look' seatbelt pads and 'jap style' backboxes to roar/fart on past:D

Vee dub
^^^
Agreed.... I tend to do the same......

I do sometimes leave a few rep mobiles at the lights, but then reach the speed limit and stay there, letting him go past :approve:

RB 182 Cup
i chose to get a valver over a 106 Gti, for a few reasons, from what i had read on as many forums as i could find, a valver is faster, although i have not driven a 106 GTi, i would imagine this to be true. Reviews on parkers claim the 0-60 of a valver being 7.7secs and the same for a 106 GTI is 8.4. With this much different on a manufacturers specification i thought the difference would be noticeable? Another reason was that they are relitivly rare in comparison, especially down my way.

ian 182 said:
^^^^^^^^^
which is why it beat a valver jesus

ian

means nothing to me that, i'll only ever use what a magazine says as a 'rough' guide, as half the time it's a load of pish and the test conditions are never stipulated (like petrol, passenger, luggage etc etc). Plus their's usually an axe to grind or backhander... plus are the cars standard? excuse my cynicism, but when it comes to people and selling things there is no such thing as fair.

On the road, round the track and down the strip is where it counts and I can't see a 106GTI with 17's and virtually no mods leave a stripped out valver... no way. power to weight will be in the valvers favour... providing it's not knackered.

No one seems to realise that there's f**k all difference between a 'good' valver and even a 172 (actually, that should read no one wants to admit). Kirminators for example left Viscerals 172 on the way to paintball the other year and it's a 12 year old car... it's well over 100k but as mint as mint can be... it had a panel filter and a decat... so pretty much similar. Danny T's I would also imagine would leave most 106GTI's, again, it's rapid and mint... there could be a pattern here... well looked after valvers are quick.

VaVa
My 172 eats valvers/gtis/williams for breakfast.:clown: ;)

Happy New Year Jesus. Start as we mean to go on!!:approve: :D

Lux'd Glacier White R26
8.4 to 60 for a GTi? What is a Valver? I would of put my money on you beating him, especially as he had extra weight in the car, and sitting on 17's...

Tyson.

Ph1
Get the Valver booked in for a tune up.

You only had to see on Top Gear how much bhp those 2 old Ferrari and Lambo 's had lost over the years. Its not all about bhp and weight ''all'' the time !! :]

Not a Clio
Tyson-182 said:
8.4 to 60 for a GTi? What is a Valver? I would of put my money on you beating him, especially as he had extra weight in the car, and sitting on 17's...

Tyson.

Mk1 1.8 16v

lol at this thread. there aint much in any of these cars as we proved at the last airfield day. maybe you people should search back for the results

Lux'd Glacier White R26
_simon_ said:
Mk1 1.8 16v

^^^ I meant in 0-60 terms, but thanks for clarifying that too! I'm with "The Jesus" on this one. The Valver should of won presuming it isn't fecked...The power to weight is in the Valver's favour!

I'm assuming it was a straight line race (on a track ;))?

Tyson.

Disastra Coupe
I would have thought it'd be pretty much neck & neck? In a straight line... if your talking with corner's it also depends on driver skill, not saying your a bad driver. And handling of the car?

Not a Clio
Tyson-182 said:
^^^ I meant in 0-60 terms, but thanks for clarifying that too! I'm with "The Jesus" on this one. The Valver should of won presuming it isn't fecked...The power to weight is in the Valver's favour!

I'm assuming it was a straight line race (on a track ;))?

Tyson.

lol sorry

it's mid to high 7's around 7.7 ish

RB 182 Cup
yeah, i expect that 2 standard cars would be almost even, but a stripped out valver, should have easily taken an overweight 106 GTI.

Status
Not open for further replies.