ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SMT6/STAND ALONE ECU group buy

There was a thread a few days ago about people who were interested in a group buy for SMT6 ECU re-mapping. If anyone is interested can you please put your name down here, you will need a deposit of 150 pounds and the whole system costs 600 pounds fitted/set up/RR time/VAT etc. IF we can get more then 5 people then it will bring it down to 500 pounds. SO far myself and Adams_16v are going ahead with it so only need 3 more people. Done lots of research on this topic and it seems to be the best option for tailor made re-mapping. Andy @ GDI will be carrying out the work, he has also said that he will include stand alone ECUs in the group buy if anyone is interested. look forward to your replies.

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=80786&PagePosition=12http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=80786&PagePosition=12

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Guys, since the SMT6 is made in South Africa Im pretty sure i can get the chip for you guys for a less than 150 pounds since here it costs that to get the chip + install + tune

Id have to check with my mate about actual prices, but shipping wont be too much.

Youd then just have to organise to have the thing fitted and tuned on the RR...maybe talk to Andy about doing that sort of deal.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive just read the other forum thread and I see some of you might be interested in the PRS8 which if Im not mistaken is about 250 pounds...but i might be wrong...at most it wont be more than 500 pounds, but remember, thats a standalone system

Oh...just occurred to me...my mate is the owner of a tuning shop (highly respected amongst the VW community here) and him and another mate did a deal directly with Perfect Power and had a modified SMT6 made for them which includes Closed-Lambda tuning as well as a few other options.

I could talk to them about a group buy too...lemme know

Trophy

what sort of timescale are we talking? We cant all go down on the same day!

At this moment in time i am not able to go ahead with it as my money is tied up elsewhere.

Mat.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

I am interested but was waiting for a few more miles on car before total engine rebuild. Have new cams, followers and getting hold of megane bottom end. Then headwork and SMT6 to finish off.

Not sure if a good idea to get the SMT6 on its own as it is only as good as the place that programmes it. Will such places be Ok with you just using their expertise on the set up and not buying the SMT6 off them.

GDI are very well respected company mate, best spekaing to them. Im looking to go ahead with this in about a month, but if people can get a 150 pound deposit sorted in the nest 2-3 weeks then im sure Andy will be able to fit you in whenever you want it doing.

Viceroy, it may be worth speaking to your mate?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

As I am interested but not needing fitting for a while, if cheap would go for the unit and then get fitted later. Only problem I can see is would someone be prepare to fit and set up when you havent bought it from them and also it may not work out much cheaper, depending on set up time and cost.

172 Cup

im interested to but i will not be needing it till later this year when my tuned williams lump is built and put in.

Paul

Quote: Originally posted by Matty on 26 April 2004

As I am interested but not needing fitting for a while, if cheap would go for the unit and then get fitted later. Only problem I can see is would someone be prepare to fit and set up when you havent bought it from them and also it may not work out much cheaper, depending on set up time and cost.
we probably wont be oing for the option of buying the Cgips ourselves as i dont see much of a saving to be had and gettign the correct chip may be difficult. All who are interested need to be able to put up a deposit of 150 pounds to secure their discounted price of 500 pounds ALL in (vat/fitting/RR time etc) you can tehn go ahead with the fitting whenever you wish, otherwise this sytem costs 600 quid

williams and trophy

def intrested in the standalone unit

how much with group buy??

mehdi mate, if more severe mods are comin i wudda thort ud av bin better off wi standalone rather than piggy back

cant see it getting past mild tuning for me mate, certainly not T/Bs anyway so im dead set on the SMT6. Spoke to Andy and he says he cant give a defo price on stand alone engine managment but with group disucount your looking at around 1200 pounds, massivley depending on application though, thats based on 5-8hours RR time at 50 quid an hour!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i would like to know what benefits the SMT6 has over the Dastek Unichip? My main reason there being price for me as im only a poor student!

Id so love to do this.

Still cant decide if i want to Piggyback a 10month old car. Or spend the £500.

Would gain a heck of a lot of power in my car though !!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Is the normal price for SMT6 and fitting/rr 600 then. If the all in price is 500 I would be very interested. Just wondering if I have SMT6 fitted then get head&cams later how much will it cost to set up again?

normal price is 600, group buy price is 500. all this depends on appication and is maximum prices, if you have a standard car and just want it chipping and not set up to cams, headwork etc maybe it is cheaper. Once fitted you pay for RR time for future mods, for example an hour of RR time costs 50 quid and should be enough for further mod set-up. Reason for POA is that alot of the cost is downt o RR time to set-up the chip, the more or less time you spend on the rollers, the difference in price! Can i just assure people that this is one of the best options available at the moment, and this price is awesome. I will be going ahead with SMT6 regardless of group discount or not not only because of how highly i rate the product, but quite simply i dont trust anyone else to carry out the work to the level that we expect from Andy and GDI. Can you imagine letting any old mechanic rev the tits off your car/test drive/cain it etc all in the name of setting it up? no thanks

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

2nd rolling road time martin would be about £200 ish or less..... might be as little as £150

Andy

GDI

172 cup TT

interested - but - already have a superchip... What immediate gains would i see in replaceing this with the SMT6? - it will be working along side the viper IK and full stainless powerflow.. Would i notice much or not really?..

thanks

FAO Andy,

Would i see any gains in the SMT6 over my current Hillpower Stage 1 ECU? If so what sort of performance gains would i be looking at?

Many thanks

James.

rockport, im pretty confident you will see gains, the hill power item is a noff the shelf chip, SMT6 is mapped to your car, taking into account your mods, engine age, mileage, use, fueletc. itsd mapped to over 100 points across the rev range, pretty impressive stuff!

172 Cup

i could proberly sort out the deposit as well and get it fitted later this year if thats ok with Andy?

Paul

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Maybe worth talking to Motorsport Developments in Blackpool people as Stu, the guy who owns that is regarded as 1 of the best.

172 cup TT

so if we get 5 @ 500 each.. what price could this go down too if we had 10?, 15? or even 20 orders???... a discount reflective of volume of bulk...

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

you will see gains over a stock chip.... they in some cases have actually reported loses in power!!!! However that is rare..

the main benefit is the flexability of the system as you can reprogram the unit if you decide later to have head word done etc...

also its mapped to YOUR car.... so each fuel point is set of the rollers for best power etc etc.... its interesting stuff to do.... also you can see where the stock map is lacking .... usually mid range.... thats where we usually have to put more fuel in...

Andy

p.s. if you wanted to buy more then yes we could drop the price....

Paul... yes deposit is fine and you can do the rest later in the year.

Andy

so come on guys, will pm everyone who has shown interest int his as we will be needing a final answer soon adn of course a depsoit. 150 quid will reserve you the cheaper price and you can go ahead whenever you are ready! Lets get this done rather then just talking about it as per usual!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Alright guys, Ive spoken to my mate and hes gonna give us the updated SMT6 chips for 70 pounds each provided you order 5 or more.

Ill see how much shipping comes to and let you all know

The new chip (FMR1) is basically a SMT6 but with the ability to do closed loop lambda tuning as well. There is software which will be provided so that the tuner (I presume Andy from GDI) can set them up.

the standalone units are going for 190 pounds (for the PRS2) and 240 pounds (for the PRS4)

If you need more info on the chips you can take a look at http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asphttp://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp for info on the SMT6

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/prs.asphttp://www.perfectpower.com/products/prs.asp for info on the PRS2/4 units

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 26 April 2004

andy, what does the SMT6 offer over a unichip?

The main advantages of the SMT6 over the Unichip is that the SMT6 have more mapping sites so tuning is a lot better to do, it also offers things like the ability to progressively control NOS etc

You can also store 2 maps which can be changed at the flick of a switch while driving, so you could have a good fuel consumption map and a racing map for power

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 28 April 2004

Alright guys, Ive spoken to my mate and hes gonna give us the updated SMT6 chips for 70 pounds each provided you order 5 or more.

Ill see how much shipping comes to and let you all know

The new chip (FMR1) is basically a SMT6 but with the ability to do closed loop lambda tuning as well. There is software which will be provided so that the tuner (I presume Andy from GDI) can set them up.

the standalone units are going for 190 pounds (for the PRS2) and 240 pounds (for the PRS4)

If you need more info on the chips you can take a look at http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asphttp://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp for info on the SMT6

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/prs.asphttp://www.perfectpower.com/products/prs.asp for info on the PRS2/4 units

With regards to this Viceroy, in have spoke to Andy and he can get the chips just as cheap, as im sure you will agree, the fitting/setting up/RR time is where the money is being charged in the process. Ordering them ourselves would cause too many problems with regards to obtaining the suitable chip etc. I dont think there are any major gains to be had by ordering the chips ourselves but thanks for checking anyway!

Right ive PM d everyone who showed interest, so far i have 2 people who are def. in, and a few who are almost there, please post your interest here and have deposits ready because as soon as we have 5 we will prob go ahead with this

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Not a problem...

Just thought you might be interested in the updated version of the SMT6 (FMRC1) which does allow extra features, and is only available thru my mate (since he helped develop it).

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 28 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 26 April 2004

andy, what does the SMT6 offer over a unichip?

The main advantages of the SMT6 over the Unichip is that the SMT6 have more mapping sites so tuning is a lot better to do, it also offers things like the ability to progressively control NOS etc

You can also store 2 maps which can be changed at the flick of a switch while driving, so you could have a good fuel consumption map and a racing map for power
the switchable map is a no no mate....i asked andy about this a while ago with switchable maps, an he said to run a dif map id have to take it back to him n get it remapped, if i wanna change it back .same again lol

Im afraid I cant give an answer at the moment, as i may be selling the car very soon.

There is a very good deal to be got here though.

up to 3 def. so far, bare in mind all you need is 150 wuid deposit to guarentee the discount price, you can have the rest of the work done when you can afford it or whenever your car is ready for it!

172 cup TT

As i already have a superchip fitted.. Could i sell this quite easily? then i can put that toward the SMT6... any comments on this?