ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snaking Under Braking

172 Ph2 Flamer
I've had a search on the forum and couldn't find what I was after, so...

I've had my 172 Ph2 for about a week now, so I'm still finding things out about it.

There is one thing that is a bit odd about it though. When ever I brake firmly (not as hard as I can and with no ABS intrusion) the rear snakes quite violently, almost as if theres very little pressure going to the back, is this normal? Oh and the all the discs and pads seem to be in good nick, its done 55k so I guess the rears are original from whats been said on here.

I know that you can't adjust the bias on ABS equipped clios, so what if anything could I do?

This is my 1st post so sorry for it being long, and go easy on me! :eek:

172 ph1
I had this, the rear was noticeably loose under hard braking on track, solved it by replacing the front steering arm ball joints which were very worn

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The majority of the braking is to the front wheels,even under hard braking unless the car is carrying extra weight in the back. You really dont want a large amount of braking to the rear or you'll find yourself spinning off the road into a ditch or worse.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has it had new springs fitted before you bought it? They can take a few weeks to settle in. Mine 'snaked' noticably twice within a few days of having the Eibachs fitted. Feels fine now - I've even tested that on the same section of road where it felt a little dodgy before.

D.

172 Ph2 Flamer
Its got stock everything, I've checked the track rods ends and the pressures are all 30psi, so I guess it may just be how they handle. Suppose I need to drive it more carefully! ;)

172 ph1
Its got stock everything, I've checked the track rods ends and the pressures are all 30psi, so I guess it may just be how they handle. Suppose I need to drive it more carefully! ;)
how did you check them?

they may look fine but might still need to be changed...

172 ph1
Constructive much? :rasp:

How did you realise yours where badly worn?
after my Renault garage offered to change my steering rack for 1000 Euros, I went to a tire place, and the guy told me it's most likely the track rod ends, as that's where most of the wear should occur, he changed them for 90 Euros, and solved the problem