ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped cam follower killed my cup!

3 x Renaults + Lexus
Dude I feel for you its sucks when cars go wrong.. This went on my pals clio but he had more miles and drove like a nut case

But Renault (or any manufacturer) wont do anything despite the low miles. Think it is 3 years or 60K which ever is sooner. Then ZERO becusae its over 3 years even if you had done 10K miles still you wont have a chance. Goodwill is doubtful I spent 70K with Renault in the last 3 years and they would not even give me a free hire car when the brakes failed and the vehicle was 2 weeks over 1 year old.

My pal had a 7.0 Cobra engine that died with under 2000 miles on the clock http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXDbfWrWlzs a work of art that ended up in the bin

Had to change the whole engine the rebuild cost was a joke so now he only has a 6.4L being run in http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y2hmk-B1W0I

MY10 R35 GTR
not good mate, engine internals are expensive bits to get replaced.

If you had the money mite be a good time to stick aftermarket cams in?

Golf R/Leon FR
gutted fella,

i recently had all my belts changed and hydraulic lifters changed cost me best part of £600 and the labour cost more than parts.

as said i would speak to josh @ clio spares, or matt black and get a new engine

Black Gold Trophy
havent read all the comments, but if someone hasn't already said it.. You'd probably be better off getting a second hand engine and fitting that as it will keep the labour costs down, a lot less hassle than messing around rebuilding the old one

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
havent read all the comments, but if someone hasn't already said it.. You'd probably be better off getting a second hand engine and fitting that as it will keep the labour costs down, a lot less hassle than messing around rebuilding the old one

I've been offered a second hand one on 70k but to me it just spells more hassle later down the line. I'd rather pay the extra and keep mine which is on 38k.

Whats bothering me is the fact that the garage don't know how its happened! cam belt is fine and timing is too!!!!! argh

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
Ever ran it low on oil or something?

nope, oil levels have always been good, however it was probably due a change but even so i didnt even have any warning lights or anything before it happened. The only thing the garage could think of was over-revving! but i rarely boot it about and when i do i always change before 7k

Black Gold Trophy
I've been offered a second hand one on 70k but to me it just spells more hassle later down the line. I'd rather pay the extra and keep mine which is on 38k.

Whats bothering me is the fact that the garage don't know how its happened! cam belt is fine and timing is too!!!!! argh

Yeah I wouldn't bother with one thats done 70k, you get the odd one come up on ebay that has done 29,000 miles but unless you can view the car that it has come out of and match the engine number against the VIN and confirm the mileage then no real way of telling.

I suppose if you got your current engine rebuilt then atleast you have piece of mind that the engine is in good order.
Make sure you get a reputable firm to do the rebuild as it is a delicate process.

tiTTy & SV650
nightmare, the engines are usually the best things about french hot hatches. First time I've heard of an RS engine failing in a long time tbh.

Iceberg 172 Cup
damn this happened to me, i've got a box full of engine internals you can have for a very cheap price. out of a 182 with 15k on the clock. it had bottom end failure.

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
i can get u a cup engine with 30k for £700 collected mate!

cheers for the offer but the labour is still going to be £600 so still gonna be around £1300, i've given the bloke the go ahead to fix it.

Paul6, r u sure its the same thing? My engine was still running until i was stationery then it died! I hope for your sake its not the same as what happened to me!!!

LY 182
you need to think about whats going on here before giving them the go ahead

is the bottom end definately ok?

cant see how that can happen (and how ALL 16valves have bent) if the timings not slipped

infact it cant, its physically imposible

only a few cam followers are snapped,, all the valves would only bend if all of them did....

only thing i can really think of is maybe if big end bearings are completely knackered the pistons have come up too far and smashed the valves/broke the followers

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Mmmm renault will pay a controbution after 3 yrs it maybe 10% it may be 50%. they normally pay something. sorry to here this mate.