ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped handbrake cable

ph1 172 Black
Snapped handbrake cable so got a QH one and it's inch and half too short! Got my money back tho. Anyone brought a non Renault one before? Mines a ph1 and spares place said thats the only one they do and where suprised it didn't fit.

Renault are generally the best place for consumables like clutch cables and handbrake cables - pattern parts never seem to be right (on the Mk1s anyway lol)

ph1 172 Black
Can anyone tell me the length of a ph1 handbrake cable. Been quoted 1360mm and 1415 from Eurocarparts but mine are longer. Mine are more like 1400 and 1500mm. Could someone look on dialogys or something?

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
i got quoted 38 quid for a n/s cable from renault, think im gonna have to pay it as cant find any place else to get the correct one

ph1 172 Black
Yeah I snapped one but other one looks ready so it's both. A motorfactor is supposed to be getting me some Monday after taking mine in. Even EuroCarParts ones are the short ones. Don't get it. Flamin French

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I have managed to snap mine too, the drivers side cable. I have removed the old one, I assume I just thread the new one though the outer sheath from the middle of car back, reconnect the tip and clip into the drum arm? Any tips ??

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I have managed to snap mine too, the drivers side cable. I have removed the old one, I assume I just thread the new one though the outer sheath from the middle of car back, reconnect the tip and clip into the drum arm? Any tips ??

Should come as a complete cable with the outer plastic casing already attached, best off slackening the adjuster off on the handbrake lever then put new cable in, I normally attach to rear brake assembly first and then into handbrake, finally adjusting handbrake to suit

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I got two genuine ones for my 182 recently for £54 including delivery.

Take of the central heatshield, slaken off the 13mm nut, take out the old cables, remove the white bit on the cable which goes into the bodyshell, some wiggling with mole grips helps. Unclip from the back of the caliper. Reverse steps to fit them.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I got 2 valeo ones from euro. they are ok. 1 is slightly longer than the other on the right hand side. they do strech a fair bit.
worked perfectly for me.

Clio 172
I got pagid cable from ECP for about £15 I think. It ended up being a bit too short but I couldn't see it causing any problems and money was tight with mot round the corner so fitted it and it's been fine. The compensator picks up the extra length in the original nicely.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Top tip I learned the hard way: Don't try to ghetto fit it by pulling the handbrake lever arm to the cable, they snap like cheese.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I have ordered a genuine one from Renault. Will fit it tomorrow, only ordered one side as too tight!!

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I fitted it today. Ordered from renault Wolverhampton £44 with next day. Fitting was straight forward once, exhaust was dropped down, two axle stands on the rear beam, rear wheel off gave better visibility but not necessary, centre heat shield off. the lefthand cable is slightly longer so the adjustment holder is uneven, will probably snap soon! I found a deep socket with an extender much easI hope the other one does not snap. Could do without shelling out for more car parts. It's MOT tomorrow, hope it's all fit after four full day track day hammering sessions in the past 12 months.