ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped Rear Caliper Bolt :( Help

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Fitted my new brakes today, one issue:

20120729_174616.jpg

What the f**k can I do about that?? :(

drill a small hole in the centre of the bolt, (doesnt have to be extremely deep)

hit a allen key bit into the hole you made, then use mole grips to twist the allen key until the bolt is out...

you may have to re-thread the hole if it has cross threaded, use a tap and dye set for this :)

hope this helps fella :D

182 Cup
Could also do the above but use a stud extractor (if you buy one ofc) where you tap the extractor into the hole, then try to undo as per normal. The Allen key method is worth a go at first to save cost :)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Thank you for the reply guys!

Ive just been on the phone to a mate who have a spare 182 rear hub so I think I'm just going to swap them over, might be easier.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
drill a small hole in the centre of the bolt, (doesnt have to be extremely deep)

hit a allen key bit into the hole you made, then use mole grips to twist the allen key until the bolt is out...

you may have to re-thread the hole if it has cross threaded, use a tap and dye set for this :)

hope this helps fella :D

May try this though first

182cup & 172 racecar
Shouldn't be that tight really, unlucky.

If it's that tight, I doubt banging a allen key in a hole will do the job, but worth a try I guess.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Shouldn't be that tight really, unlucky.

If it's that tight, I doubt banging a allen key in a hole will do the job, but worth a try I guess.

The other side was super tight to, even getting the disks off was a massive b*****d of a job, they were on there good and proper.

Sometimes you got to tighten to loosen ;). cleans the thread as it goes just for future reference.

I would get some easy outs as Danny has said try your local places like Screwfix, Toolstation, Halfords etc so you get them tomorrow.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Sometimes you got to tighten to loosen ;). cleans the thread as it goes just for future reference.

I would get some easy outs as Danny has said try your local places like Screwfix, Toolstation, Halfords etc so you get them tomorrow.

Yeah that's my plan, even if I don't end up using it and just swapping my rear caliper it will still come in handy.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
impact guns are so much safer for removing bolts, hanging off a bar puts a nasty constant stretching force on. Always try and use a jerking motion to crack off tight nuts and bolts. Being a steel bolt into aluminium really doesn't give you a good chance from the start. Bi-metallic corrosion is so hard to solve

182cup & 172 racecar
As I said though Dan, the service kit from Renault comes with new bolts, and they have that thread lock stuff already on them.

I wouldn't think that the torque setting for these is very high.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
impact guns are so much safer for removing bolts, hanging off a bar puts a nasty constant stretching force on. Always try and use a jerking motion to crack off tight nuts and bolts. Being a steel bolt into aluminium really doesn't give you a good chance from the start. Bi-metallic corrosion is so hard to solve

Thank you for the tip. It was very tight with the ratchet so I attached my giant costco jack handle pole and used it as a breaker bar, always works a treat but it just snapped :( Lesson learnt.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
No luck so far trying to drill it out. Put the Allen key in and tried to turn but it keeps spinning inside the whole.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Doesnt have to be an allen key, have you got an old torx bit or old screwdriver bit you can knock into the hole ?
Or if you can add a bit of heat but be carefull not to boil the brake fluid though

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Doesnt have to be an allen key, have you got an old torx bit or old screwdriver bit you can knock into the hole ?
Or if you can add a bit of heat but be carefull not to boil the brake fluid though

Tried all of those methods mate and no luck, its proper tight in there so I'd have to use proper force to get it out, everything I try just spins in the hole I've made. Probably going to wait for my mate to bring the caliper round later.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Someone suggested sawing a line across it and using a flathead to turn it out but I think its to tight for that personally. Thank you, hoping to have it sorted this evening.

I would cut a slot in the head if it was sticking out enough, then heat it up a few times being careful of the brake line (not sure weather that would be safe though tbh) and on the last heat get a large flat object in the slot, try and smack it loose and then twist out.

I might get one of those stud extractor sets, look handy!

I'd just keep upping the drill size till the outer walls of the bolt were thin enough that you can push them inwards with a screwdriver.

Keep it perfectly straight to preserve the threads though.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I'd just keep upping the drill size till the outer walls of the bolt were thin enough that you can push them inwards with a screwdriver.

Keep it perfectly straight to preserve the threads though.

Yeah was thinking that, alot of drilling though :(

172 cup, Impreza P1
FFS, easy outs or a stud extractor cost a few £ and would have this out no problem. :S

Having the right tools for the job makes life much easier and when they cost not much more than a pint of beer it makes even more sense.

E30 325i & 172 Cup
IMO drill it out, starting with a 1 or 2mm drill and working your way up. Use some drilling/cutting oil as it speeds thing up a lot. You could try an extractor, but by the looks of it, its not gona move so the extractor will probably just slip or snap.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I've picked up an extractor today, turned out my mate doesn't have the correct calipers :( Gonna have a crack at it tomorrow after work. FML!!!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Right, I give up with this bloody thing now! Had the caliper completely off, drilled into it, turned the extractor into the hole (second to largest one) started to try and turn it and snap! The extractor has now snapped in the hole ffs!! Luckily, my mate has just phoned to say he has just found a 182 rear drivers side caliper and I can have it on Friday morning, so I'm just going to swap it over then, much easier and saves me wasting more time!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Got it all sorted now, swapped calipers over, jobs a gooden! Thanks for the help chaps.

20120803_100720.jpg