ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

so... anyone got a 172, and regrets it?

on the look out
lol what a drive :D id never drove a 172 until the day i phoned up about one on fleabay and went to look at it and bought it (172 cup) there and then . the bit that done it for me was when the cam kicks in loved it . just couldnt leave without it . then sold it for a derv van and miss every thing about it and now cant wait til i buy a 182ff or trophy hopefully next few weeks enjoy it

Iceberg 172
Love it when it's flying along a favourite road - nothing better for the money, simple as that.

The niggling faults do dull the ownership experience though - nothing major, just all the little things that are 'common problems' (exhaust needs adjusting, headlamp washer leaks, CD player reads 'ERR', hazard switch broke etc - today the heater fan's stopped working....) It's frustrating knowing that there's a great car there underneath once all these things are sorted, but more things come along as fast as you can fix others!!

Still, I'm used to old Alfas so that nagging fault feeling is something I've learned to live with..... :)

But I don;t regret it in that there's nothing else I think I would have got instead if I had my time over again... :D

Suzuki Swift Sport
yea lol a few ppl when i say woohoo gettin clio on sat, they say why the hell u buying french, they have endless problems etc

Ive had 3 and not one problem, had a new mini and it was in the garage loads, also mates with vw's have had loads of problems. Its just down to luck in my opinion. I think the clio's are pretty reliable.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
You're 19 and your friends are driving about in 400bhp+ Japanese weapons?

And maybe you can afford to insure faster cars, but then saying that I would too if I was paying £2.5k on insurance tpft!

yeah most mates have imprezas, evos, theres an RX7, a skyline and a few type R hondas, clio costs half as much to run and just as fun! well nearly! hehe

ST
Ph1 172, awesome, 172 cup, awesome, normal 172 sport, gash IMO, 182 sport best all rounder, 182 cup, pointless, 182 trophy, leagues ahead of the rest...

197, hands down best of them all in terms of driving fun, comfort, looks and road presence IMO.

M2 / Golf GTI
When someone asks what car you have, you have two choices.

Say Clio - Take the shame of driving what everyone thinks is a girls car.

Say Clio 182 - Turn into a major g33k and they still probably wont know what it is!

Lose lose situation. But there good fun.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
regret buying the clio..... NO

regret using it to do mega miles...... YUP try doing 25k a year without racking up the bills. (although they were mostly fun miles) look after the clio and it will look after you.

if i had known i was going to be doing those sort of miles i would have got a diesel like i have now..

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ph1 172, awesome, 172 cup, awesome, normal 172 sport, gash IMO, 182 sport best all rounder, 182 cup, pointless, 182 trophy, leagues ahead of the rest...

197, hands down best of them all in terms of driving fun, comfort, looks and road presence IMO.

HAVE A WORD!!!

ph1 172 - Worst
172 - Normal - Ok
172 Cup - Best
182 cup - Not great
182 full fat - Ok
Trophy - 2nd best

197 More modern, looks fresher, but also flawed.

Tut Tut!

ST
HAVE A WORD!!!

ph1 172 - Worst
172 - Normal - Ok
172 Cup - Best
182 cup - Not great
182 full fat - Ok
Trophy - 2nd best

197 More modern, looks fresher, but also flawed.

Tut Tut!

Hang on a minute beavis..

You're old 172 was alright, you pretty much hate you're current one, granted neither are a V6 but the 197 is day and night compared with the MK2 with the exception of the trophy..

Horses for courses etc.

RIP cup, now 172ph1
100% dont regret buying the 172 cup loved it way more than i ever thought i would.. the second best car ive owned... next to my old toyota celica gt4 mind:D

however my newly purchased ph1 172 is abit less special to be honest but it still puts a smile on my face when driving enthusiastically shall we say!;)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The clio she has bought I get the impression the guy would have looked after it well, it was always immaculate so I don't think she'd need to worry there.

Sounds like it should be okay then:)
Unless you buy a complete shed then I don't think many people would regret having one. I certainly don't regret mine apart from the recent price drops but that's life. Can't wait for the better weather now tbh:evil:

White clique
the only thing i regretted about owning a 172 was that it wasnt a 182, when they became affordable i had to swap it, more due to badge snobbery really.

Pmsl @ the opening question, the car appears to be a minter (it is deffo one of the best on here) You could always take someone with you if your un-sure about it ?

Mk4 .:R32
nope not regretted it, i will regret selling it though lol.

only probs as people have said are rattles etc which are expected of a 5 year old renault!

The only techincal problem I've had in 2 years is the stop and oil light coming on for the oil pressure, replacing the switch tomorrow :) hope it gets well looked after at it's new home :'(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Hang on a minute beavis..

You're old 172 was alright, you pretty much hate you're current one, granted neither are a V6 but the 197 is day and night compared with the MK2 with the exception of the trophy..

Horses for courses etc.

No it's ok...

I agree the 197 is a better car now...But the seats(non leather), lack of spoiler, colour of wheels on R27, gearbox and s**t MPG for the same engine would annoy me...That said it's alot 'fresher'