ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So embrassed by my new scorpion exhaust sound :(

clio 182 FF + chipped
My standard exhaust was hanging by a thread and blowing so bad it was no use I had to replace it.

I'm a 32 years old and didn't want nothing loud and noisey. but after seeing Renault wanted £840 for a standard exhaust I looked at aftermarket stainless steel.

Saw I was still looking at £400 for a new exhaust. I listened to endless clips on YouTube of scorpion exhausts. And decided to buy one as they didn't sound too loud on clips I watched on YouTube.

How wrong was I?!!!! I went for the resonated scorpion as it said 'quieter'

My OH couldn't fit it straight he spent hours trying but as soon as I went round the block and came back it was sitting wonky again. So I took it to a garage which charged me £110. Who ended having to fit an extra bracket on to hold it straight.

When I got my car back and drove it home OMG the constant drone inside is AWFUL!! It's loud in idle, it loud in low revs, loud in high revs. I'm gutted!!! I've ruined my beloved car 😧

My son starts school September and I'm really not looking forward to pulling up in my car with this exhaust on 😧 I mean each to their own. It's not my cup of tea to have my ears ringing and headache from the drone.

I used to have a Clio 16v which had a louder exhaust on when I was younger but it didn't make this constant drone noise inside like this one does.

Is there anything I can do?!! I'd love to send it back but obv that isn't gonna happen now it's on the dam car.

Has anyone ever sound proofed the boot? Would that work I duno?

I realised that everyone on the YouTube clips that I had seen had a RS192. Mine isn't that one! I didn't realise they were different... I'm
Blonde...

clio 182 FF + chipped
Yeah :( the Srn019 I think it's called.

From now seeing YouTube clips I think it's the RS192 would of suited me down the ground.

I mean I don't mind the sound on the outside. It's just inside the car that's the problem.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I bought a 2.5" Piper stealth (named for irony) as it was the louder than God playing a tuba, when I drove it home my ears were ringing for a few hours afterwards, but as it coked up it got a lot quieter, it's still pretty droney but no where near as bad as it was when new, yours will quieten down a bit over time.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I put a scorpion 192 exhaust on my old dears and she's never noticed said a peep about it..

I think it's got the extra box on so its got a nice oe burble and then goes quiet when you pull away.

clio 182 FF + chipped
I was just thinking... My car is pretty low. So low that it's in fact sitting on the bump stops so I'm told as my lowering springs have got old and worn. Hitting a pot hole is like I've fallen down a ditch lol.

I'm wondering am I getting such a loud drone inside because it's sat so low? The bloke at garage also said the exhaust is sitting very close to the rear beam. Could it be vibrating?

I did think about calling scorpion but didn't think they would b able to help me. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Golf Gti edition 30
Ive had and been in numerous clio 182s with different exhausts and the scorpion rs192 is the quietest exhaust ive heard.Not too much louder than standard.

clio 182 FF + chipped
Btw I have bought a second hand set of standard springs I'm waiting for them to be delivered. Hoping there the CUP springs but I won't hold my breath I've bought the right ones lol.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The 192 sags at the cat joint, lining ups easy, after adjusting as best as possible with the clamps, I put a lever bar in the left pipe and stood on it till it was perfect.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
These won't be loud. There must be something wrong with it fitting wise or something.

Even decatted they're not too bad.

2003 Clio 172
I'm very thankful for threads like these or I'm sure I'd be in a similar situation as OP with a loud aftermarket system that drones.

Not fun buying another exhaust but have you had a look at Supersprint? They're supposed to be among the best albeit a bit pricey.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the RS192 is much quieter, if your cars sitting on the bump stops its probably rattling of the beam too! car must handle terrible too! stick a set of eibach springs on it with fresh dampers, as the dampers will be shot too from being so low!

clio 182 FF + chipped
I hope it is something to do with fitment. As I said my partner struggled to get it to sit properly so I took it to the garage I always use who also struggled and had to fit on an extra bracket. And the pipes still don't sit great out of the back. esp the left side pipe. Not good seeing it cost £404!

It will be interesting to see if changing the springs will make the noise inside more bearable.
The car still feels like it handles great although on the bump stops but then I may of been driving it round like that for so long that I've got used to it? it's the main reason I've kept this car so many years as I love the handling of it.

Is there anyone on here near to me in Chelmsford Essex who has the same exhaust fitted? Or the RS192 so I could have a listen what it's like inside to compare?

Thanks for all the replies

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Scorpion exhausts aren't that loud tbh, you say an extra bracket was fitted to get it straight, can you get pics of it? I reckon the exhaust is now mounted directly to the underside of the car with no damping. Hence the drone.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Springs will not quieten the exhaust, that's just being hopeful.
I bet its not sitting right somewhere. The backbox goes over the top of the rear beam so its always going to be close to it.
£800+ for a standard exhaust?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Springs will not quieten the exhaust, that's just being hopeful.
I bet its not sitting right somewhere. The backbox goes over the top of the rear beam so its always going to be close to it.
£800+ for a standard exhaust?
List price is nearly £2500 for a cat, middle section and back boxes!

FF Artic 182
SRN 019 D? the slash cut tips?

If so i have the same one with resonator and the cat in and its very quiet once warm, few pops and it burbles a bit when cold, just give it chance to bed in.
The noise isnt much louder than standard in my opinion, town or motorway use, regularly have a 3yr old in the back and can hear her fine over the exhaust (and the Frozen album soundtrack)

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Get some underside photos of it up here and lets have a look, suspect it may be fouling the rear beam, if not then you might have to get a centre box for it or resonator, or sell up cut your losses and get a Rs192 or exchange it somehow..

clio 182 FF + chipped
It's the SRN019 le manns resonated. exhaust tips aren't the slash ones no.

Thanks for the offer Scrooge. Tilbury is a bit far for me. But I may take u up on that tho after a week or two or deafness!

I will get some photos up of the underside ASAP and hopefully someone might be able to see if anything is wrong.

clio 182 FF + chipped
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just wanted to show some pics of how awful it's sitting. The left pipe sits out further than the right zoom in and u can see the left pipe u can see the tail of scorpion and space behind.. The left pipe u can't see the whole tail. Also both aren't sitting central in the holes but on the wonk diganogal to the left.

After inspection under the car my partner tells me there is no extra bracket at all. He called the bloke up who said 'no he hasn't put an extra bracket on. He said it needs an extra bracket if I want it sitting straight'.

He has checked over underneath and says there is nothing vibrating or knocking etc on any under the car. Nothing resting on anything etc.

Think I will have to get in contact with scorpion and speak to them as the noise inside the car is one thing but also having the exhaust sitting like that in not too happy about. :(

clio 182 FF + chipped
a garage who we have taken our cars to many years now and never had a problem. Here's some more pics so u can see everything underneath has been fitted properly and is straight underneath...I wish Derek could of fit it would of saved me £110.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Clio 182
The only way i got my pipes to fit better that that was to cut the centre box a little shorter and modify the mounts.
Also I had to manipulate the bumper a little on the brackets to bring one side out further.

The only cure is to get rid

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
See if you can pop out again and get a side on shot of this so you can see if the shiney pipe is sitting on top of the rear axle
urKDAqJ.png