ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So I want a new router

Bus w**ker
I've been running a D-Link DIR-655 for a couple of years now and it's always been great, but it's getting on now - it's only single band and has quite a low throughput for starters - so I've decided that it's time to upgrade. Ideally I'd like to future proof as much as possible, within a reasonable budget as this is only for a home network, and I'm thinking dual band and IP6V wouldn't be bad things to have.

So is anyone running anything that fits this criteria that they can recommend?

From the digging I've done and reviews I've read the Cisco Linksys E4200 v2 (can't find it for sale in the UK ATM) and Netgear N900 seem to come out on top.

For the majority of the time it's going to be supporting a wired PC, NAS, Xbox360 and Vodafone Sure Signal v2 along with over wireless iPhone4 and iPad (3rd gen). There is another PC in the house, a netbook, PS3 and god know what else but most of that stuff just sits gathering dust. Oh and it's all connecting to the net through cable (60Mb now I think, although I'm not too sure on that).

Thanks.

Tesla MP3 2021
I have the NETGEAR N900 and it's a superb router, its never put a foot wrong (touch wood)!

AK

M240i
I'll give you this Draytek router my flatmate keeps trying to wire up. LOL.

Also, iPad 3? Good boy.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Two of my friends have this router and have flashed it with DD-WRT, it seems to be pretty good.

Bus w**ker
I have the NETGEAR N900 and it's a superb router, its never put a foot wrong (touch wood)!

I've been doing some more reading about and it's looking like the N900 is going to be the winner, although that is because the Cisco isn't on sale in the UK any time soon lol.

I'll give you this Draytek router my flatmate keeps trying to wire up. LOL.

Also, iPad 3? Good boy.

Draywho? lol I'm gonna pass on that thanks.

And of course, 64Gb wifi in black (because white is for gayers).

Two of my friends have this router and have flashed it with DD-WRT, it seems to be pretty good.

I'll have a look in to that now, looks interesting though and the Netgear firmware does seem to be a common complaint in all the reviews - I remember it sucked years ago when I had a Netgear router.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
  Bus w**ker
I was just about to post to say the N900 isn't supported lol. Ta, I'll check out the reviews for that one.

SQ5
I can't believe you've never heard of Draytek Symon?

Brilliant routers, it's all we install and not silly prices either.

AK

M240i
He's stuck one in without giving me any login details other than the wireless password, FFS.

No consideration to my NAS needing ports forwarded or Dyndns set-up.

f**king bawbag.

Bus w**ker
I'll route you, you soft northeren cnut. x
Promises, promises. But I'm a Midlander FFS :mad:.
I can't believe you've never heard of Draytek Symon?
No mate, never heard of them or even seen one. We're purely Cisco in our infrastructure so outside of that I have limited knowledge so tend to stick to the big name brands that reviews recommend.
He's stuck one in without giving me any login details other than the wireless password, FFS.

No consideration to my NAS needing ports forwarded or Dyndns set-up.

f**king bawbag.
FLOL PWND. But why does your NAS need port forwarding? Apart from possibly the port for your torrents I'd have thought everything else you'd need would have been open by default.

I have the Cisco E4200, although I don't think it's v2.

So far I am amazed with it. Rock solid at everything. Streams 1080p and DTS with impunity from my NAS over Wi-Fi. Great build quality. Looks great. The best router I have ever owned.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
To be fair the TP-Link one i suggested is just as good as the cisco one if not better in some respects, I would love that Cisco one in my house though but not at that price when the TP-Link one is just as good.

Tesla MP3 2021
To be fair the TP-Link one i suggested is just as good as the cisco one if not better in some respects, I would love that Cisco one in my house though but not at that price when the TP-Link one is just as good.

Better in what way?

Just having a quick look in comparison the wireless spec on the TP-Link is no where near as good as the Linksys.

Bus w**ker
Yeah I have to agree the TP doesn't have anywhere near the spec of either the Cisco or Netgear routers I'm looking at, it's single band with a lower throughput for a start. It's a decent spec router but no better than the D-link I'm looking to replace really.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio