ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New laptop.... so slooooooow!!! Vista?

Folks, I got a new laptop a few days ago.. and my 2mb broadband aol internet connection is seriously slow! Its running at 120 Kbps!! :nono: I have had BT check the line connection and its all ok! and my signal is 4 green bars... full strength! Aol cant work out the problem... i have a new filter on the line... and now i am so pissed off its so slow! I spent all my money on this laptop after my last one died thinking i'll finally be up and running again... but thats not happened.

Any ideas? A BT engineer is coming out tommoz to check the line....but the lines ok....what the hell else is causing this? I am wondering if its anythinmg to do with VISTA PREMIUM? can this cause havok with wireless Netgear routers?

Just need some ideas before i shoot this thing!

I will take this back if its not sorted soon.

TA.

AOl actually are pretty good, really good in fact, only if you DO NOT user their software :)

is there anything that i can try to get the speed running as it should? its taking ages just to open a page here, unless u have this going on u dont know how annoying it is! :S I'm paying for BB so i want to get that service, hope its gets sorted or this laptop is going back to where i got it soon.

Rav4
I am not too sure, just remove all the crap.

I have a mac, and the webpages open quicker on a PC that they do on my mac which is well annoying.

Have you done some research on google on this ?

Have you got all the correct settings, firewall not being gay ? Things like that.

First of all, you need to find out if it is for definate, that your laptop is the issue here and not AOL.

An easy way to check this, is place another laptop, with the same wireless capabilities i.e bang G on the network, I would probably try XP and see if there is any difference :)

If there isn't, it's aol, if there is, then we can help you narrow down your problems.

Hope that's ok.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the problem with that is it relies on him having another laptop, or having XP.

Rav4
Nope, that's not a problem, I am sure he has a friend that will have one.

The problem is we do not know if it is the internet line or Vista having the issue.

So we need to eliminate as much as we can to find out what the issue is

I asked and the people that have laptops i could check have Vista, and my old laptop had XP but it got a NTFS fault and shuts down immediately which is why i got a new laptop. After a system restore it still made no difference.

The real annoying thing is.. I took this morning off to wait for BT to come out and check my line and they didnt arrive! They had to put it down as a No Show! :(

1.2 16v Dynamique
tbh, aol are a bit ghey on occasion but they are quite reliable if u need help

and if u mean u download at 120kb then thts fine for 2mb, altho if u juz upgrade to 8mb aol then its pro - thts wot im on but actually is 5mb and i download at only 300k so its fine if u ask me

I will give them another chance to get it sorted! They are saying its the BT line and not them at fault...(but it looks like a good strength signal to me) and the BT guy didnt arrive today! so now i gotta wait till Thursday if he turns up this time.

No mate (B1ling3r), I should be downloading at 2000kbps for 2mb, so 120kbps isnt good at all! It takes a year to open anything...and wont even play Youtube without stopping every 2 seconds for a break. If you have 8mb you should be faster than that.

Not a Clio
lol that's not how it works.

2 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
=2000 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
=0.25 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
=250 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second] <- Max download speed.

So yes you're slower than you should be but there is no way on earth you'd see 2000KB/sec download speed from a 2Mbps connection.

Last edited: