ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] no valid ip configuration... local access only

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've googled this to death over the last few weeks, and I've tried everything, with no luck...

I'm running win7 32, wirelessly with an old sky netgear router, but with current f/w.

Windows troubleshooter tells me to reset the router and it then connects to the net... just works temporarily. I thought the prob was with the router, but I can ALWAYS get online using my iPhone with wifi, so it seems to be PC based...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Is the fault with talktalk, the router, my NIC........ It's doin me head in now!

Clio 182
Sounds like the connection is being interrupted. Open a command prompt (Start, type cmd in the search box) then type "ipconfig /all" when it works and when it stops working. Also a good test is to ping your default gateway.

ValverInBits
is it completely dropping off the network? or are you getting "limited or no connectivity"

I've had a play with the router settings on mine. Adjusted the DHCP range from .2 to .9, then set my computer to a static IP of .10 and set the router to reserve that address for me (although I think the last part is unessacary).

It's almost definitely the router or the network card in the PC - probably the router.

DCi
ipconfig /all sounds like a good start to me.

the other one i'd check is 'network connections' and make sure it your pc is set to obtain an ip address automatically (seeing as your iphone works)

1998 BMW e46 323i
Thanks for all of the replies.

I've tried all of the above, bar pinging (don't know what that is or how to) to no avail. Can't use a static IP cos of talktalk....

Sometimes our other laptop won't connect either, showing limited connectivity etc,.. which makes me think it's the router/ISP.

When it fooks up, I can't even log on to my router. annoying.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yes you can use a static IP. Just because your ISP gives you a dynamic IP address does not mean you can't use static IP's inside your network. The router will NAT your internal hosts so all web traffic appears to come from the router's external IP address. It changes the IP headers and makes the originating IP address completely unknown and irrelevant to the outside world. Set your computer to use an IP address outside of the DHCP range, set the same subnet mask that DHCP assigns (255.255.255.0 probably) and the default gateway to the IP address of your router.

A good test to see whether your network connection is dropping out is to open a command prompt and type:

ping -t [ip.of.default.gateway]

Without the square brackets, and press Enter.
If your network connection drops out instead of saying "Reply from...." it'll say "Destination host unreachable".

Press CTRL + C or close the command prompt window to stop the constant pings.

182FF with cup packs
wirelessly with an old sky netgear router, but with current f/w.

You have your old router connected up to your new router? You probably have two DHCP servers active on your network and they are battling it out. Disable the one on your wireless and let your current firewall deal with assigning IP's