ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

so why a clio? whats peoples reasons for having one

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I drove my mams 1.2 8v ph2 clio, then my dads dci 65... And killed it. :eek:

i came to my first car and figured I know Clio's well enough so bought a 1.4 16v ph2 which I though at the time was the quickest I could go for the money.

then I signed up on here and got hooked on renaultsport.

My gf convinced me to buy an r27 rather than a ly 182 which I was going to get after my 1.4.

2010 Clio RS200 Grey
Because despite having a succession of more powerful german cars, I yearned for another old school hot hatch. Wanted something modern but the clio was the only one that interests me.

Took one for a test drive and I felt 18 again :D

Phase 2 clio 172
Because it has a dirty great big air filter so makes a lot of noise, goes like f**k on a cold morning and wheelspins everywhere when it's damp..

Everyone looks at sat me like I'm a prick while I'm having the best time ever haha!

+1 on quirky electrics

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Value for money.

1.2 is good value for money vs a bus.
182 is good value for money vs a 1.2, and most other sub 5k cars.
Caterham R500 is good value for money vs a 182.

I can't afford the Caterham (or the 182) yet.

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
I couldn't afford a type R (one of the other hot hatches I was tempted by)and wasn't sure if I wanted another E36 just yet. I needed to get this mini fascination out of my system and now I just want to improve it and keep it.
I also wanted a car to take on track and no Ford stacked up to it for the ££.

And if I drive gently it isn't too shabby on fuel which a type R cannot claim to be

As above the are great value for money. Surprisingly reliable and cheap to run considering.

My first car was a PH2 1.2 and i've always wanted a 182. I've owned 4 RS clio's and various other hot hatches etc, but i always have an itch to get back in a RS clio.

Renault Clio182 bean
Best bang per buck tbh in relation to handling and performance, they look nice and the FF versions have all the mod cons that are needed.

Clio 172
I wanted to get a new car, couldnt afford it but after a year most things are new on it now so basically got my new car....

Renault Clio MK4
My last car was a 2003 Clio Dynamique Billabong 1.2. The reason i bought that was because it was sporty and i loved the colour. I bought it for £1,250 after knocking the woman down from £1,500 easily, i realised that i really did get a bargain. I was the second owner from new (baring in mind the car was 9 years old), the woman who owned the car was a family woman so i knew it hadnt been ragged, it was one of the top spec models, it had automatic lights and wipers (which i didnt know comes pretty standard on them, at the time of purchase); the colour was rare(ish) and it was low on mileage.

1233411_10200645135594426_854367966_n.jpg

After having her for a year and a half, i decided i had to move onto a new car. I was looking at a Honda Civic and CR-Z but theyre a lot of money for what you get. So, knowing the new shape Clio had come out, i decided to go take a look at it in the showroom. I fell in love with it! Built-in sat nav, cruise control, automatic lights and wipers, 900cc turbo charged engine, no tax, no MOT for 3 years, sporty, big and spacious! I knew i had to have one! But what colour?!

I was originally going to have it in white (being tight, the colour was free). Until i test drove a yellow one! I had to have it in yellow instead. The car was soooooo nice to drive. So smooth and handles really well. Was nippy for a less than 1 litre engine with 90bhp! It was faster than my old clio too.

1534989_10201432734563908_751721910_o.jpg

Thats how i ended up having 2 Clios!

FF Artic 182
Upgrade from a 1.4 106.
Out of my friends im the only one without a turbo. Yet ive got the biggest smile when im driving. Cracking car and proper good fun on in the twists

Clio 172 Cup
I've had 3 Saxos, the Clio was pretty much the next step up from the Saxo VTS.

Compared to what i'm used to, it's solid, returns good mpg (38-40) and faaasst.

Plus all that engine bay space, i was surprised. Top engine mount was the easiest thing ever..!

Odyssey 172 phase 1
I used to own a nana 106 gti, which got scrapped because it had been involved in an accident in 2005 which got badly repaired by a previous owner to which i broke it as spares. Anyway I wanted a new car to replace and then found my odyssey phase 1 so bought it as I liked the shape, colour, and specs, its changed a bit since i bought it almost year ago, but i would say it just a bug that i caught which made me buy.

Clio 182
Nothing else comes close for the money, pretty much as simple as that for me.

They've got under my skin though, I'm on my second and I can't think of anything that I could replace it with which would be nearly as fun.

guess ;)
(182) my favourite car tbh...yes there's better cars... but they are very good looking, and full of character. the 2.0 vvt engine pulling a light body is like a man with with jetpacks:clown: so yeah a very awesome car. the v6 would be better if it had back seats tbf...:D

Last edited: