ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Socket A vs Socket 939 CPU cooling

Currently got a Socket A AthlonXP along with water cooling.

If I was to upgrade to an Athlon64 (obvy with new motherboard) then are the clips for the CPU cooler still the same or will I need a new CPU cooler block?

Thnx

Lee

BMW M2C
Very different. Socket 939 coolers have a different clip system which hooks onto the plastic socket surrond.

The cooler AMD supply these days is really good. I installed one on a new X2 4800 yesterday and the fan didn't even need to start spinning for the first 5 minutes of operation. They are nice heatpipe ones.

Obviously you'll want more if you are overclocking.

it has a 12cm fan on the other side of it. its the first btx pc i have been inside
heatsink.JPG

Revels Mum & Sister
I have a watercooled 939, I had to remove the plastic mounting bracket from the board and it slipped through the holes beneath

I thought the Socket A boards had very similar holes! Check out the Waterchill kits, it will say what CPU they support, I am sure mine supported Socket A as well!

Monaro VXR
Its that big because thats the newer BTX system meant for better more silent cooling.

I have one of the zalman fatality heatsinks in mine pretty quite and rather big good enough for overclocking my cpu anyways. Water might get me a little higher but not much.

Monaro VXR
Thats the point puts airflow in a straighter line having the cpu get the most cool air etc.

Most computers will go btx over the next few years just not a mad rush for it right now. Really isnt that big a deal.