ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Socket / Tool Sets?

FF Orange Clio 182
Hi Guys,

I've had to do a few bits to the Clio and it's a pain in the arse getting the right tools to get it done. My Dad has a few sets with bits missing and loads of rusted / dirty stuff and I end up spending more time finding the right bits than fixing things. I've been looking at getting a set of my own tools for this reason.

Could do with having new everything (not limited to sockets, but it's a start) and I'm not sure if I should splash out on a "proper set" like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007258T4U/?tag=cliospnet01-21. It's a hefty price for the odd job (I'm certainly not born to be a mechanic) and there's more than I'll ever need but at least is there if I need it and some of the bits look handy to get into the tight spaces and save time instead of taking things out / moving things. It looks like it'll certainly last a lifetime.

What do you guys think?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Seems a decent price for what it is mate
I use a similar bahco set at work and I cannot fault it.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I really like Bahco hand tools, everything I've got Bahco wise has been reliable and nicely designed. Most of my automotive tools are Facom (love my Facom stuff) and also the massive 200 piece Halfords set ( great set, no issues) with some other odds and ends I've picked up etc. Stanley, Britool and some old Kasama stuff.

To be honest never had an issue with any of my tools as I treat them well and look after them. I'm not the kind of person that welds a 4 foot steel pole onto a 1/4" ratchet to undo a hub nut then complain when the ratchet breaks.

Bahco set will be excellent and do you justice I'm sure, or like others have said if you can get a hold of the Halfords set then it's a bargain for what you get.

Bahco is definitely a solid choice, my main tools are always Bahco and car tools are halfords pro. They did replace my case for me as they are a bit cheaply made, no tools have any issues yet.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Halfords pro lokk to be the same as Sears I think, and none of my Sears stuff has ever let me down. Bahco set from the title appears to have Imperial stuff as well, only useful on American cars and British cars from the 70's and earlier(for which you will need gallons of PB Blaster as well!).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Another vote for the halfords stuff, especially as they now replace the ratchets under warranty too.

The only thing it's missing is some reducers, which are always handy.

I basically survive with my halfords sets and odds and sods bag for things like ball joint splitters etc.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The 200piece set has drive adaptors, which as Rob says are always handy.

There's a few people on eBay selling various bits of halfords advanced stuff if you don't want to buy a full set, or want to add bits to your collection

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The 200piece set has drive adaptors, which as Rob says are always handy.

There's a few people on eBay selling various bits of halfords advanced stuff if you don't want to buy a full set, or want to add bits to your collection
Oh really? I need an 18mm spanner since some prick @Luke never gave me mine back after I so kindly fitted him new wishbones etc.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My halfords set:
IMG_0071_zps0e02i0ct.jpg

Stanley tool box - full of a variety of Halfords/Draper/Sealey/VAG specific tools.
Green box - Boschmann impact gun. Another great way to spend £65!!
Percy Pig bag - mini specific tools.

I'm sure Bahco have some connection to Snap On.

May explain build quality.
For home use you can't go far wrong with Halfrauds sets with the lifetime guarantee.
And if you get money off with a Trade Card, it's win win [emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I started with the halfords £35 set which isn't advanced but still the same stuff. Have built up a big collection of their stuff over the years and it's all great.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
If you know someone with a Halfords trade card, then I'd definitely be going for the Halfords set.

Halfords pro all the way , i have a the full box top and bottom stuffed full of it !!

where else will replace a broken tool on a sunday ?

20140914_151449.jpg

all of it bought every time they have a half price offer , i must have 3 of the full 150 piece kits and numerous versions of the ratchet spanners including their lovely angled ones

whats not halfords pro is Beta in my box.

FF Orange Clio 182
I'm going to get the 200 piece Halfords set, thanks guys! The trade card doesn't work on discounted items.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the trade card never used to work on offers so it was worth trying it with and without the card if you get a friendly operator to find out which price works out the cheapest.

however its apparently changed and you now get trade discount on offer prices, I bought one of they socket sets a few weeks ago for a friend when it was on an offer and my trade card brought the offer price down further!

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
As if work bought you that!

I managed to nab one of those off eBay for £75 iirc. It's epic tbh.

And if you don't know, Wera offer a warrenty on all of their tools, you don't need a receipt, just ring up, say the tool is broke and they'll send you out a new one.

Work buy us whatever we tell them to buy us...

FF Orange Clio 182
the trade card never used to work on offers so it was worth trying it with and without the card if you get a friendly operator to find out which price works out the cheapest.

however its apparently changed and you now get trade discount on offer prices, I bought one of they socket sets a few weeks ago for a friend when it was on an offer and my trade card brought the offer price down further!

I phoned Halfords today and they said it didn't. What do you need to sign up for one? My Dad can't go down but I have access to the papers, can I set one up under his name for him?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'm after a quality screwdriver set.

I have a halfords pro selection but they're posidrive rather than straight philips. Halfords don't seem to sell many philips screwdrivers unless I'm mistaken?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I phoned Halfords today and they said it didn't. What do you need to sign up for one? My Dad can't go down but I have access to the papers, can I set one up under his name for him?
I got speaking to the store manager and said I bought tools there all the time a trade card would be handy and he signed me up for one, I work in a supermarket lol! possibly it was just a system issue but it definitely gave me trade discount on a promotion offer