ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solidworks....

Focus ST
Any members on here use it?

If so, examples of your work?

I've been using this for just over 3 year, trained myself from a text book. Employed by a national commercial catering firm to design in 3 & 2D refurbs for uni's, football clubs and local authorities

Just be interesting to know if anyone else uses it?

Focus ST
Ever used solidworks? Mate of mine is a draughtsman using Autocad... i struggle with cad and he has no chance with Solidworks

I'll upload some examples later if im feeling extra geekish

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I design bespoke comercial furniture, reception desks etc...

Currently using Rhino 3D V4.0 and AutoCad 2009. Much prefer Rhino a lot quicker to model something up in 3d (in my opinion). I don't do visuals that often but to render I use flamingo photometric but have just got a copy of Vray for Rhino from America, from examples I've seen it certainly seems like a step up.

I have used Solidworks but never had much time on it, heard good things though.

Sorry the quality of the images had to be reduced quite a lot so they would load up.

Attachments

• Copy of 3.jpg
    Copy of 3.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 54
  • wc v1.jpg
    wc v1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Copy of 2.jpg
    Copy of 2.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
  Focus ST
That's some impressive sh!t there Eddt1

We don't do a great deal of rendering, don't have time tbh... today i've completed 3 jobs from scratch - what sort of timescale do you have on each project?

I'd imagine you have a large achive and you config most of the kit?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I have created my own archive with things like chairs, monitors, tv, doors etc everything else is modeled from scratch because every job is a 1 off.

It's hard to put a time scale on a project. The 1st and 5th visual on my last post are of the same room, there was a series of 6 presented to the client and from scratch that took me about 1.5 to 2 days. But generally designs are approves from 2d drawings and material samples. The most time consuming part to a project is creating material/cut lists and doing all the CNC programmes.

You havn't got a manual for solidworks as a pdf have you Tupps?

Focus ST
Erm, i'll have a scout about for it mate

We've just upgraded our solidworks, the old hardcopy manual is about a million pages

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Yeh I've got a similar one for Autocad (on paper), I can't see how anyone could fully understand it all.

Mini Cooper
I use Autocad and Solidworks but i hate autocad so awkward to use. solidworks is a brilliant program does have its setbacks though. I do alot sheet metal work and solidworks doesn't make it easy getting things correct.(still prefer it to autocad)
You can produce some great renders if you have the time to mess about with it.

I might be able to get an electronic manual for solidworks i'll have a go.

Focus ST
I'll stick examples up tomorrow of what i do, it's pretty basic as we don't have time to render everything

Mini Cooper
Yeah i don't get much time for rendering its usually pretty hectic but heres one i did a while ago. Wish i got more time for it tbh

[URL=http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dblmaxi5wh1.jpg]
[/URL]

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Thats looks really good ash, is that in Vray? How long did the raytrace take on that?

Mini Cooper
cheers
nah it was just done using the built in photoworks on solidworks, its ok i suppose considering its built its not great just have to play around with the lighting a lot to get what you want. 2009 has a new external one called photoview 360 but its really basic i dot like it, suppose its good if you need to do a quick render but im not keen on it.

ValverInBits
solidworks is the balls. Use it a bit, it's a peice of cake once you get a bit of experience and so quick

SLK 350
I'd hit that two times!

I use Maya myself when I render shizzle, though I wouldn't say I was too proficient at it.

raw striker
we use solid works here. mainly cause its just so quick and easy to do stuff with. in my experience quite a few companies use it as its fairly quick to train people up on. i used to use it at marcos also and quite allot of of suppliers have it/ use it.

some quick examples of things that it can be used to do...

plen5.jpg

bt5.jpg

combi20v.jpg

explodeview1.jpg

don't really get time to render things and not really necessary for what we need.
i find solid works is great for most things but its not to hot on doing more complex shapes such as bodywork ect.
used to use software called alias which is pretty much industry standard as far as auto styling goes, its a very capable bit of software but is a little more complex to learn compared to solid works. here are some examples of what it can do from back in my uni days. was rendered in alias as well so its not the best compared to using 3dmax or similar. but still looks reasonable imo

test8.jpg

test7.jpg

chassis2.jpg

chassis1.jpg

boot7.jpg

NEWRENDERWITHWHEELS.jpg

raptorsheet1.jpg