ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something has broke on my top mounts!

BG 182 FF
Iv replaced my AST top mounts with a set of pure motor sport ones. The only reason I replaced was because the AST's fitted OE struts and I now have coilovers fitted.
My intention was to sell the ASTs however upon removal I noticed a ring from the bottom off the mount has snapped from the inner part where the unit allows adjustment. Will this effect the top mount in anyway? All seemed ok when driving before removal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374173989.122856.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374174002.273729.jpg

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Why couldn't the AST mounts have fitted your coils? The internal dia of the spherical bearing is the exact same as the Pure mounts/Rsport Bilstein mounts, just needs the spacer you pictured machining to the shaft dia so you can use the lower profile AST top hats.

If it's not chewed up the aluminium underneath can you not just replace the lower bush?

BG 182 FF
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. When we tried to install the coilovers we couldn't tighten down on the cup that sits on the top spring. There was a gap of about an inch if that makes sense?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Ok, bear with me as works server makes sorting images tricky...

I'm guessing you mean like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuew3S0SAiwX-xUYmBdAR8H1Egc--uG8T5X7GX6jJ2ONg79kcy.jpg

The spacer (your bit that's broke) may need to be machined out to the same dia as the shaft (on AST dampers the shaft dia is slightly thinner than OEM damper shafts). From what you're saying, it sounds like the the metal spacer/bush isn't big enough dia and so can't sit far enough down the shaft - hence the gap you were getting?

The top hat may also need machining too so that the Ast plastic bearing can locate in it - the plastic bearing has a little lip on the bottom to locate it in the top hat (guessing you don't have this plastic bearing?) and then the metal spacer/bush that you've pictured sits on top and located into the bottom of the spherical bearing in the top mount.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhlIibeyXTaujr_9s_chyhsOYxPdMdZb23OiU7Ws4XzmaKMkN2XA.jpg

So you should have the top hat, the plastic bearing, the metal spacer, the topmount and secured with the tapered nut.

Should all look like this one it's assembled:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKjWrmTenePAkGC0Ywr7aj3iJIoCK4xzCUJrKgB851rhwmUBpF.jpg

BG 182 FF
Well I wish I read this before I purchased new top mounts... I do have the plastic bearing yes. These are all the parts I have

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374225061.686430.jpg

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Sods law lol, but yep that should be all the bits you need - just seems that metal insert bush/spacer (the bit that broke) needs machining out slightly to suit the shaft on your new coils. Should all just slot together then.

Imagine if you were to contact Cooksport with the shaft dia I'm sure he could get you a replacement pair of the metal insert bushes/spacers ordered in ready machined to the correct internal diameter to suit your dampers.