ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony MDX-M690 questions

Apologies for any spelling mistakes, Im on a laptop!

Right, I am thinking of buying a Sony MDX-M690 headunit, its a minidisc one with a motorised flip down panel. Ive seen it on the net for 300 quid (think that was from MCS direct), whereas in Halfords it is 400 quid but it comes with free fitting.

Now I wont be able to fit this unit myself, so I will want someone to fit it for me. Halfords charge 35 quid to fit a unit, not sure if this applies to one you havent bought from their shop! Whereas Ive noticed that some other companies will charge £70 - £100 just to fit it.

I know that there is a lead available for this unit that enables you to continue using the display and stalk control (I have a facelift Clio, 2001). After looking in the Halfords flip books for the part number, there is an Autoleads one and a Sony/MES one which both do the same job? I dont have the part numbers to hand now though. Anyone had any experience of these two different cables? Do either of them stop any of the controls working on the stalk control? I read in a previous post on here that these leads stop you being able to use the Pause function, where you press the Up and Down volume control button at the same time, anyone know if this is true?

Also, final question, would I need to upgrade from my standard speakers, or will it be ok to keep them and still retain a good sound? I am looking to upgrade the speakers in the future but not yet. Also I dont want the hassle of running amps or subs etc. Id just like replacement front and rear speakers, any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

Buy from net, then get an independant ICE shop near u 2 fit it. My mates cost £30, dun well, im gonna got mine fitted ther too. Getting an alpine 9815, £499 in shops, 330 on net!!!

If ur just changing the HU, then I was told the standard speakers are fine buy 3 ICE shops. Is up 2 u really, if u dont like them when your head units fittef, then change them.

Autoleads will do the same job as the sony 1 , if theres not alot of difference in the price i would go for the sony 1 thou

Clare, you want a connects2 lead. This connects the radio to the display and the remote control. Easy for someone to fit etc, but not cheap. I had an auto lead one that just did the remote control, but then upgraded to the connects2 one, much better, in my opinion! lol