ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony P200 or Canon EOS 300/350

I know one is a compact and the others are SLR but ive narrowed down these cameras to what i like and can kinda afford.

The sony is a lot cheaper being compact, seems a decent size and photos are nice, and you can get extra lenses on top for wide angle etc...

However im drawn towards plumping up the money for an entry level SLR, simple fact is a like photography, looking at getting into it a lot more as i currently have a Trust 910 powercam which in all fairness rubbish compared to the three im looking at.

Basically i want to know am i worth getting the an entry level SLR over the highish end Compact? The money difference is nearly £150 - £200.

Also is there much difference between the EOS 300 and 350?

Any one got the above cameras that can give me there feedback on them, and if possible some sample pics to see the quality.

dk

911 GTS Cab
if you are serious about photography then 350D is a great start camera, if you just want a point and shoot then there are better sony's than the p200 for sure.

YOu already have a compact so why not go for the DSLR, I have both, they have different uses.

As said, don't bother with another compact.

If your going to upgrade at least go as far as a 'bridge camera' like the Canon S3 IS or a Panasonic Lumix. These are good all rounder with big zooms.

If your serious go for the 350D. The difference between the 300 and 350D is rather large so go for that if you can.

With a DSLR the quality will come down to how good the glass on the front is. Also remember that if you want big zoom or just good glass in general it costs.

Check this thread on POTN, its people posting pictures to show what a DSLR can do over a compact/bridge.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=269758

If you want links to reviews or places to buy etc just ask or PM....

And finally a gallery plug.. :D
http://pete-eos.deviantart.com/

Mk2 Golf GTI
I was loking at either a 350d or a 400d. Obviously the 350 is cheaper so would i be best to buy this and a different lens? MAx budget £500 so what lens would i get for that that would be better than the boggo 17-55?

I was loking at either a 350d or a 400d. Obviously the 350 is cheaper so would i be best to buy this and a different lens? MAx budget £500 so what lens would i get for that that would be better than the boggo 17-55?

Assume you mean 18-55, I'd check out the Sigma 17-70 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Might get the Tamron myself, fixed aperture zoom and f/2.8 is very appealing. Although its £280 but can be had from £180 if someone picks it up in Hong Kong for you... check eBay...

silver valver/hybrid
Check this thread on POTN, its people posting pictures to show what a DSLR can do over a compact/bridge.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=269758

wow! just checked out the photos on that site, i have a sony p200, i bought it purely for the fact it's very small and has some manual features so i can practise a bit, but no way will the p200 get photos like that! i will get an dslr this year but got mot/insurance/service + repairs :dapprove: soon for the clio so that comes first!
my advice if you just want to take the odd photo get a compact, if you are more serious and want to get into photograpghy a bit more depth then get the dslr, the p200 starts getting very grainy even at iso 200 and only has 2 f stop settings.

Sold the sport :(
me_crop.jpg

Heres a pic taken earlier on my 30D - DSLR everytime :)

Couple more here:

http://www.madsi.co.uk/clio/small_single_windmill.jpg
http://www.madsi.co.uk/clio/small_windmill_all.jpg

Si

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

I would look at the 350D with that sort of budget.

I recently purchased a 400D and am only a starter/newbie into the DSLR world. I have already ended up spending just over £1k with various bits and bobs to be able to do what i need.

Id suggest the 350D so you can spend on anythign extra you will need.....

(Some good bargains out there)

Better than yours. C*nt.
The 350D is a good camera - but without knowing what you're doing and playing with settings I can get near identical or better results with my Minolta D'Image A2 until the light gets low.

As far as a pure point and shoot camera goes, I love my Ixus 40 - it fits in any pocket and takes fantastic snaps for it's size, but if you're after something a bit bigger and can take good pics as most people have said the 350 is a good starting point. The trick Canon lens with stabilizer and funky focus mechanism is a good bit of kit, but costly - I've got one I use for indoor work and it's perfect.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
All that about a 2Gb Compact flash being worth £130 is a load of old nob, you can get a 4Gb card for £17.49

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=99857

i doubt the ones they're giving away are any better.
you'd want a nice fast one though for multiburst shooting.

Yup.

You also want something reliable and quick.

Sandisk Extreme & Ultra's are very good.

Ive tried cheaper brands like viking and you really suffer in speed and failures.

Better than yours. C*nt.
you'd want a nice fast one though for multiburst shooting.

Yup.

You also want something reliable and quick.

Sandisk Extreme & Ultra's are very good.

Ive tried cheaper brands like viking and you really suffer in speed and failures.

Yep - got an Extreme III and IV and the IV certainly goes as quick as the camera can shoot - fantastic bit of kit and when I get home I'll post a snap of what you can do with a 350D...