ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony VAIO laptop owners

2003 1.2 16v Dynamique
I recently bought a VGNFS285E VAIO from the Sony center in Kingston. I had it for about a week and I left the room as you do, it was left on charge and still on, I came back 3 odd hours later to find that it is off and is now not working at all, it won't even turn on!

Anyone else have this kind of problem with theirs? Of any comptuer buffs who could shed some light on the situation?

Much appreiciated

dk

911 GTS Cab
possibly a faulty charger as if it wasn't working the battery would drain and die and even when plugged in would not charge it the charger is knackered.

thats my guess anyway

dk

911 GTS Cab
and the best way to test this is to find someone with a sony charger and try that, there are two types a 16v and 19.5v

2003 1.2 16v Dynamique
Tried running it straight through the ac with no battery in it and still no luck.

They have ordered me in a new one that is hopefully going to be in by the end of the week (tomorrow) but I very much doubt this will be the case but I have some hope as it did order it Tuesday night!

I bought Sony because I expected it to be better than other brands!!

R35 GTR
I havent had any probs with mine, battery still has a good few hours of charge as well after 6 months. Probably just unlucky mate.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Rory said:
Tried running it straight through the ac with no battery in it and still no luck.

They have ordered me in a new one that is hopefully going to be in by the end of the week (tomorrow) but I very much doubt this will be the case but I have some hope as it did order it Tuesday night!

I bought Sony because I expected it to be better than other brands!!
mate, like i said, its probably the charger, not the battery so you need to try a different charger, iy you tried the laptop on mains without the battery and no joy then it kind of proves my point

Elise/VX220/R26
have you got the green light on the charger? maybe a blown fuse in the charger but doubt it, more likely to be a dodgy connection or fault with the charger.

I've had my vio 18 months now and no probs to date I think they are lush

It could be static buildup (seriously, we get lots of laptops with this problem)

Try taking the battery out, and holding down the power button for 15 seconds. Put batter in and power her up.

may work, may not but fixes most of the ones we get. lol

It might be worth checking the battery connections to the laptop. Give them a clean if needed. My work Dell laptop used to pull the same trick, I cleaned the connections and all was good.

Elise/VX220/R26
it should work with no battery, I've never put the battery in mine its still wrapped in cellophane!

sounds like a vaio, imho there utter shite. i used to swear by sony as there and all round good company. my opionions have changed recently. especially with the portables. yes the look quite flashy and expensive but the flimzy/unreliable and just feel like there going to fall apart in you hands

dk

911 GTS Cab
well i totally disagree, my 17" vaio is as solid as a rock, it has a speacial chassis which is ultra strong, you can hold the laptop in the corner of the screen supporting the whole weight of the laptop with one little corner of the screen with one hand and it doesn't even flex and this is a 4.5kg 17" jobbie, not even the hinge moves from the weight, absolutely solid as a rock, better than any other laptop i have held.

A well built VW
[QUOTE
I bought Sony because I expected it to be better than other brands!![/QUOTE]

Yeah i thought the same and bought Compaq NEVER again 3 times it has been back to get the screen fixed and now its out of warranty and the screen is playing up again - customer service are sh*t too Sorry a bit of topic i'd take it back if its new and demand a replacement and not a fix

R35 GTR
dave182 : do you have the FS115B widescreen? I think mines got a magnesium chassis or something, they do feel solid.

dk

911 GTS Cab
no mate, I have the daddy, A417S, 2ghz centrino, 1gb ram, 100gb SATA hdd, 256mb graphics, 17" tft dvd+-RW dual layer.

i think its a magnesium alloy or something.

there isn't a brand you can buy that will not fail, it is impossible, to say you won't buy the same brand again because of certain problems is not what i would do, hell think about cars, how many of us have 182's and some get ones that never have a thing go wrong and others have nothing but trouble, we moan and say we won't buy renault again but all manufacturers suffer the same, the BMW mini is riddled with problems yet people perceive a BMW as being bullet proof.

As far as laptops go, sony have the best design, technology, spec whereas dell have the best price, HP have the best backup service (i'm talking corporate here, not consumer) and value for money and IBM the best brand as far as business machines go (no-one was ever fired for buying IBM!!!)

they all have their pro's and cons and such as anything, you either get a good one or a bad one, and the same goes for support, when you ring through, you either get a nice person who will help or an arsehole who won't do anything, call back and you will get someone else who may be willing to help, you just can't judge a manufacturer on one experience.

fUbAr said:
It could be static buildup (seriously, we get lots of laptops with this problem)

Try taking the battery out, and holding down the power button for 15 seconds. Put batter in and power her up.

may work, may not but fixes most of the ones we get. lol

2003 1.2 16v Dynamique
dave182 said:
mate, like i said, its probably the charger, not the battery so you need to try a different charger, iy you tried the laptop on mains without the battery and no joy then it kind of proves my point

The green light is on... thus charger working.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok, in that case it could be the charging connector int he laptop or maybe the motherboard, when you plug the charger in, is it getting warm as if it is supplying power to the laptop it will get warm, if it isn't and its simply the light on it will be cool

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
We've sold two Sony Vaio's in the last two months.....and they have both been back with hardware problems.

Infact one was the same problem as this - faulty power switch.

My view of them has gone right down hill. Infact Acers seem to be better build quality!

dk

911 GTS Cab
nothing wrong with acer amte, they are a massive company and very big in the US and have been for years, i was using a pc from them in 1994, they just haven't got the brand name over here.

2003 1.2 16v Dynamique
VAIO are rubbish! They still haven't got back to me 2 weeks after taking the b*****d thing in!

Thankfully I have access to another laptop at the moment so I can keep up with my uni course which has just started. If I didn't I'd be fucked!

Tossers

CTR EK9 turbo
I use my 0.8 kg Vaio X505VP on the toilet, because i can :p It's never let me down *touches carbon fibre outer panel*

dk

911 GTS Cab
Rory said:
VAIO are rubbish! They still haven't got back to me 2 weeks after taking the b*****d thing in!

Thankfully I have access to another laptop at the moment so I can keep up with my uni course which has just started. If I didn't I'd be fucked!

Tossers
where did you take it into???????

when i had had a problem in the past i just ring vaio link tech support, they pick it up following day by courier and have returned it to me within 5 days, no probs, thats how SOny like to do things, even if you buy one from PC World they still want you to send it back to SOny direct so i'm not sure where you took it back to but you would have been better sending to sony direct mate.