ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be new owner

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Just thought I'd say hello, and a thank you for the information on these boards :)

I'll be picking up an '02 172 on Friday and am really looking forward to it. I was out looking for a "sensible" car at the weekend and after trailing round numerous garages we eventually found this wee silver beastie lurking outside a garage in Stirling. Got the price down to £7500 which includes one years tax and insurance ..... not bad, but it has got 60K on the clock (will this cause me any problems?).

Test drive was brilliant and it far exceeded my expectations in terms of performance. Minor niggles include a slight pulling to the left (which is being investigated) and a whirring noise coming from the light in the ceiling (could this be the air-con unit?)

My first ever car was a '96 Renault Clio 1.4 RT, but this is just a different class. Throttle response is superb, and the steering weight just about spot on! Didn't really get a chance to see how it drove through the twisties, but that's not why I'm buying this car ...... :eek:

I currently drive a supercharged Mazda MX-5 (~200 bhp) which is great for rear wheel action, but I'm about to spend a few £K on it and would like to keep it for weekends/track.

Any comments on price, niggles, etc appreciated!

Cheers
Si

Cambelt change is due, make sure it gets done :)

Renault quote 72k miles or 5 years for cambelt, but this is rubbish.

I was told that the car was due a service and am going to attempt to get them to do it before I take delivery. I doubt that I'll be able to persuade them to change the cambelt though :(

Actual price of the car is £6700. Insurance is an additional £550, road tax £165, with the remaining coming from an extended 2 yr warranty I am taking out.

Does £6700 sound too much? The interior is mint, and the exterior, while not 100%perfect, is definately better than the average 60,000 milers that you see.

Is there much that goes wrong with these cars? (you can tell I've not really researched this .... the test drive was enough to convince me that they're great wee cars :D )

Cheers,
Si

VaVa
£6700 would be about right for a UK car I reckon, from a garage at least.

Whirring from the interior light is a small fan that blows air over the temperature sensor for the climate control. Very common problem.

The do tend to pull around a little. Get four wheel allignment and tracking checked anyway. Steering wheels also seem to sit sligty askew on most I've seen too.

Common faults include

Centre section of exhaust failing (symptoms are a resonance/rattle coming from the exhaust heatshield @ 4000rpm),

Suspension creaking/banging (known fault - renault carry out some kind of suspension top mount butchery.lol)

Failed engine mounts causing engine to move and make noise when on/off throttle.

That sounds high to me, mine is for sale for £5500 on autotrader with 56K on the clock and the car is in mint condition!!

What can I say.... this car is just superb!! Picked it up on Saturday and love it already.

It's a very nimble car and drives like it should've cost a lot more. Despite the mileage it still feels like a tight car and there are no annoying rattles/squeaks from inside.

Dealer fixed most of the bodywork damage (couple of dents on passenger door, and a very scuffed fog lamp and case), and also replaced the front pads AND discs! When I saw it the first time I thought the discs looked ok and was astounded when I was told they'd been done.

Just need to learn how to drive FWD cars again and I'll be sorted :D

Si

Cooper S
Adie said:
That sounds high to me, mine is for sale for £5500 on autotrader with 56K on the clock and the car is in mint condition!!

Is that a Silver 1 by any chance!

**Sorry i'm lurking as may be in market for 1 of these in next month**