ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sorry...but a little help with tyre choice please.

172 Cup CC
I know that this has been covered a million and one times, but I'm hoping for a bit of feedback about which tyres I should go for.

I have a 172 cup, it's my only car and I cover about 15k miles a year. I currently have T1r's on it, but they need replacing - ideally within the next week. Ideally I want something that is fairly durable, I don't want to be changing tyres more than once a year if I can help it, I do drive in a fairly spirited fashion (although proper play time is reserved for the motorbike) so the tyres have to provide good grip (in the wet and dry) and feedback.

I have narrowed the choice down to:
Another set of T1R's -I did like these, nice and cheap, but I feel that they went off relatively quickly
Michelin PS3 - I have no experience with these, but I know they were always a favourite on here - what sort of mileage can I expect?
Continental contisportcontact3 - have done quite a few miles on these in a different car (Skoda Octy Vrs - so not directly comparable) and I did like them
Pirelli P zero nero - again I have no experience of these.

Impreza Wagon
It all depends on your budget, if your wanting to keep the cost down go for some T1R's or Hankook V12's. I've got V12's on my 182 wheels and found them a great all round tyre. I currently have T1R's on my Turinis and found them to be a little soft to start with but they've bedded in a bit better, don't seem to have as much feel as the V12's imo.

My previous setup was Michelins on the front and Conti's on the rear, both came on the car when purchased and performed very well. The Michelins were pretty worn but I thought they worked very well, if my budget had let me I would purchase them again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Federal RSR are excellent for grip both wet and dry, might let you down a bit on the durability side though.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Pirelli Pzero Nero. Much better price than most others and just as much wet and dry grip as the PS3's.

I run the Pzeros and think for the money nothing comes close.

Obviously the road going track tyres such as AD08s or RSR's will be better in the dry but they will never last as long and in the wet wont be anywhere near as good.

So my recommendation are the Pirelli Pzeros.

Hankook V12s are good for what they cost but are imo not much harder than a T1R.

Contisports - by a country mile

Such an immense all-round tyre. Just expensive
2nd choice would be Uniroyal Rainsports as the wet grip they give is border-line insane

My personal choice is Contis, I've just changed from PZeros on the front to Contis and find them more confidence inspiring than the PZeros. The PZeros on the bumpy country lanes all around me felt like the side walls were too hard which made the car tramline more, much like Bridgestones I've run on other cars.

I'd personally stick with Contis as I like the feel of them and they are the OE tyre so the suspension is developed around them but it's all personal taste especially when you get to the high end tyres.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My personal choice is Contis, I've just changed from PZeros on the front to Contis and find them more confidence inspiring than the PZeros. The PZeros on the bumpy country lanes all around me felt like the side walls were too hard which made the car tramline more, much like Bridgestones I've run on other cars.

I'd personally stick with Contis as I like the feel of them and they are the OE tyre so the suspension is developed around them but it's all personal taste especially when you get to the high end tyres.

If they were tramlining i would say that is down to the tread being border line illegal or you have alignment issues. Ran Pzeros on plenty of cars now and I usually change them around 2.5-3mm mark and never had any issues with tramlining. And i do plenty of miles.

Also the OE tyre on Clio 1*2s was not Continentals.

They weren't on 172's - I think P-zero's were

Also he doesn't say anywhere he has 15" wheels - standard cup wheels are 16's lol

I ran conti sport contacts on my 16" wheels on the cup - and on my 16's on the 106 - such superb tyres in all weathers

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I thought the OE tyre on the 172 Cup was the Continental SportContact 2? And the SC3 is supposed to be MUCH better than the SC2.

Not sure never ran Contis myself, never been interested in them. Sport contact 5 is out now though.

172cup turbo & rx8
Don't think the conti 5's come in 15/16"

i personally prefare continentals over anything except a dedicated track tyre (rsr, 888 esc)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Im undecided on what to do next year. Just orded winter hankooks last night so ill be getting more rubber after winter.

Torn between rainsport 2s or AD08s...

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
My v12s feel great in the dry but find them terrible in the wet compared to conti sc2's. Anybody else found the v12's crap in the wet (very little turn in grip at slow speeds)?

My v12s feel great in the dry but find them terrible in the wet compared to conti sc2's. Anybody else found the v12's crap in the wet (very little turn in grip at slow speeds)?

I also find this! s**t tyre imo walls are very soft too.. Shall not be using them again.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Danny, are you being paid to advertise the RS2's?
Every comment you have mentioned them! Hah.

Anyone got experience with AD08s in the rain?

bg182ff
Im currently running p zero's and they are a good allround tyre i was put off of contis as with a few weeks of hard b roads playing with bigger boys they were shot on the outer edges i had canvase showing front and rear on inside and out side but middle was still a fair amount of tread (and yes preassures were at 34psi checked weekly) would have them again if conti atually put tread on the outside and inside id have them again not sure with the new sc5's if they are even avalible as brian said :/