ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SORRY, but radar detectors again

i know weve been down this road before.

BUT: my dad got caught the other day doing 45mph in a 40 zone by a mobile speed trap.

hes soo pissed off and has asked me to ask u guys/gals what is the best detector for his budget.

£200 is his budget.

thanks in advance for any help

cheers

delboy

clio williams, Ph1 172

The one I got was £200 from Halfords. Snooper s715 or somethin. Its the middle of the range one

I got the snooper S5 for not much more than 200 quid online. To be honest i dont really rate them i would rather go for one of the fixed gps type detectors, too many false alarms.

On saying that it has saved me once in the last six months from a mobile tripod mounted camera.

Warren.

i work at halfords. and we fitted one of those snoopers the other day. the thing started beeping when it was connected. supposidly there was a gatso camera approaching. considering the nearest camera is about 20miles away, i really dont rate them. they might save you, but the beep all the time and are usually wrong. they just become annoying. in my opinion anyway

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

The GPS based ones are good, and you should be able to get one for £200, but thats not gonna help you with mobile traps. I think you need to go up about £50 to £100 extra and go for something like the Bel Euro 550, which in my experience is great. Yes, it does occasionally go off near electric doors, but has very few false alarms on the road. Saved my skin on a few occasions!

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive got an 815i which you should be able to pick up for £200 2nd hand EASY or maybe even new online

in city mode it NEVER goes off for lights etc.......for me anywayz

BMW 320d Sport

Ive got the same one Brun, sliding doors and pedestrian crossings make it go crazy, but the rest of the time its ok. Invaluable when cruising at !15 on the Queens highway and I wouldnt even think of doing that without one.

Yes it is very annoying when it keeps going off and giving you false alarms, which is why I turn it off around my way cos I know all the speed traps anyway and the mobile trap patrol areas as well. But as soon as I venture out of Essex, the detector stays on.

Hi guys ive got a Bell LR remote unit(un-detectable) and it works so well its not funny. has easily paid for itself in about six months of use.

mine is made up of four conponents. a dedicated sensor that goes next to your number plate for laser,two sensors that go on the windscreen and rear window for every other type of radar.and a small (2.2x2.0x0.6") display unit that hides away in the car (mines up on the trim above the interior mirror). ok it goes off at petrol stations or zebra crossings but it has a totally different sound for gatso and hand helds.

dont go for windscreen stick ons for 3 reasons. 1) the police can see it and tend to follow you waiting for you trip up(mines well hidden) 2) if you forget to remove it,some f**kers going to help himself and 3) its too high! most cameras etc are aimed at your number plate.

(one draw back with mine is that its hard wired to the car,so if you drive more than one car you cant swap it over like a windscreen one ).

but basically you pay for what you get.

ps:- if your doing 50 in a 40 zone and your detector goes off, youll have enough time to slow down (they give about 200-300 meters warning on a good day) ,but do 60+ forget it!

Skoda Fabia vRS

the hand held guns are aimed at your plate, but they still give off enough scatter to be detected

gatsos are aimed at there picture field, not your number plate