ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sorted my knocking under hard acceleration

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
well like i said ive had all 3 of my mounts changed and i still get the noise ive been under the car today and tightened all the bolts up in my sub-frame i looked up the touqe settings and they dint seem much think they were 67 front 105 rear but as i aint got a wench any more i just just did them all "fdt" aint had a drive yet but ill let you know if it cures my knocking will also be replacing a o/s track rod end finally its been in a few garages and even the mot tester have all told my the rack was on its way out not the track rod and there all mupets trying to rob me coz i ve been under andf pulled the boot back whilst getting some to rock the wheel side to side and theres no play in the rack at all just the track rod end is worn which is costing me £20 and the garage wanted £300 wtf where do these people get off! lol
exhaust maybe??

Ph1 172
I have a knock but I’m not sure where it’s coming from, I have looked at the mount under the battery tray and that looks mint, the car has only done 40k.
It only knocks under hard acceleration in 2nd and very occasionally 3rd all the other gears are fine. It's not just one knock either it’s a lot in fast succession (but the noise is irregular not regular).
I need to get this fixed but haven’t got the money to start changing things until it’s fixed. How can I tell if it’s the dog bone gearbox mount?
I’ve also read about strut top knocking washers, could someone elaborate on these?
Thanks - Tom B

Clio Sport xxx
Strut top washers cure the strut top cap knocking on the turret/boddy of the car when your on full lock and go over a bump. On turning lock, the whole strut assembly angles differently, and so the strut top cap gets close/touches the body - poor designing basically! This is a squeeky knock though and easilly identified. I had this problem... as well as a knocking generally described in this thread - it was only in 1st gear though and when the wheels would spin.

However, i went to fit the strut washers intending just to cure the strut top knocking at first.... but strangely it cure both knocks!! :)

Ph1 172
That sounds promising, where do I get these washers from??

Might have to just book it into a garage and say fix it, if that doesn't work though, its so frustrating not knowing what it is :dapprove:

Impreza STI v5
do you get poly bushes i know you get the dogbone one in poly but what about the other ones cos whats the point of replacing s**t with s**t i know its cheeper but is that not false econemy

do you get poly bushes i know you get the dogbone one in poly but what about the other ones cos whats the point of replacing s**t with s**t i know its cheeper but is that not false econemy

You cannot get the others realy as easyily as the dogbone one and there no point in polybushing any of them IMO. The stock mounts are the best.

172 cup
iv just had my lower engine mount replaced, there is no knocking or rubbing at all any more, i wish i did it months ago

RS RIP
Lowering my car has just about solved all of the knocking... less axle tramp ; so problem may still be still there but drasticly reduced by fitting harder/stiffer front shocks

ati

Clio Dynamique
hello all

a quick update on my engine knocking noise:

i took it to wakes service centre in northallerton with all the comments and pictures from the forum and asked em to read it during the diagnoses.

they diagnosed it and said it was the exahust manifold that connects the engine to the exahust system is too tight and knackered. baring in mind i just had a new O ring replaced by kwikfit.

they said basically it is not allowing the engine to resongate properly which causes the knocking. so they ordered geunuine renault manifold with O ring the entire exaust fittiing. put it and fitted for £50.00.

he told me its cured so i turned on the car with the driver door open and i couldnt spot it anymore i thought great but clumsy. so i shut the dorr and ready to drive it and guess what the same ole knocing is there. i asked him to come back and i said no the knocking is still there and he assured me that the noise is gone, i said to him listen its still there. he said thats renault for ya the knocing is totally normal and all that BS. at the point i was pissed i said look the noise is still here and thats why i got it here, anyway long argument which basically didnt fix my problem.

i asked him to check my mounts and he said they are all fine. i took it stright to renault and basically spent a bit more time with it and i said to also check the engine mounts which they said they are all in prestine condition i only done 35k so they still in ace condition.

the senior technician agrees there definatly a noise here but can find the source so he took it in and put it on the ramp with someone in it to rev it.

he came back later to me and said its coming from the engine he can just barely hear it from the outside thecar but definatly inside.

he said let it get worse at least on tick over and than briong it back. he said something about a small petrol flab inside the engine that could be causing it.

anyway pissed off at that point, so pissed iwas stalling the car every 20mins on the road.

Guys i need help with this, idont have the tools or expertise and every mechanic is trying to rip me off or talk BS, if anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful and would make it worth your while (no sexual favors lol) but if anyone can resolve this for me id be very greatfull.

or if anyone knows a reanault clio expert that knows about these issues and knows hoe to resolve em just let me know their contact details.

clio 172
I just bought my clio and within 20 miles i notice the knocking under hard acceleration and around left hand corners.

Alot of people said it would be one of the mounts, but someone said that this cannot be fixed now and again.

The garage i bought it from are looking at it now, hopefully they will find the problem, i did mention that it might be one of the mounts.

Does anyone have a rough idea to what mount it would be??

Would it be worth it to take it renault to have a look??

Thanks

Dan

The garage i bought it from are looking at it now, hopefully they will find the problem, i did mention that it might be one of the mounts.

Engine mounts are roughtly £40 each but some are £20 others £50.

Any decient garage could tell if ther worn just need to check for loose heatshields etc first.

clio 172

Engine mounts are roughtly £40 each but some are £20 others £50.

Any decient garage could tell if ther worn just need to check for loose heatshields etc first.

So do you reckon the problem can be solved because someone said to me that i might have to live with the knocking.

Would renault charge anything to look at it???

So do you reckon the problem can be solved because someone said to me that i might have to live with the knocking.

Would renault charge anything to look at it???
You shoulnd't have to put up with knokcing at all.

If the cars out of warently then yep they'll charge you after all the warently covers you for this no way they will do checks for free unless there a very nice garage as time is money to them.

Looking for something
I had exactly the same problem with my ph1 172, the top mount was completely knackered.... (Well I think it was the top mount, visible just to the back left hand side of the engine - I'm not very mechanically minded)

Got charged £80 or £90 for mount and fitting, I think I was robbed...

But there is still a slight knocking noise under hard acceleration in first gear and sometimes second or if the wheels spin.....

Car is going for new power steering pump in near future, so i'll see if Renault can see what it is when it is in there!

Got charged £80 or £90 for mount and fitting, I think I was robbed...

But there is still a slight knocking noise under hard acceleration in first gear and sometimes second or if the wheels spin.....

Car is going for new power steering pump in near future, so i'll see if Renault can see what it is when it is in there!

Thats not a bad price realy. £45 for the mount I think and say say 40 labour and diagnostics.

Make sure they chnage the aux belt when they remove it. IMO get the aux belt and tensioners chnaged at the same time and cambeltdone as well if it near needing it doing.

Looking for something
All belts etc have already been changed on the car by the previous owner only a few thousand miles ago....

RS 172
I just got quoted for all 3 mounts, i can't remember exactly which is which but the prices from a renault dealer near me were £33.07+VAT, £23.27+VAT and £56.22+VAT for the other!

Looking for something
I'll just be leaving it into the Renault garage, i'm sure they'll replace whatever needs to be replaced....

If something should not be retensioned, then i'm hoping/sure it won't!