ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soundbar

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Never had a decent sound set up and have no idea what is good and what isn't manufacturer wise. Basically the TV I have while having good picture lacks decent sound quality with bass etc.

Can anyone advise me of any decent kits that will give a bit more sound quality, its a low budget at £300 but I don't need anything spectacular just something I know is worth its money and not likely to break in 6 months.

I like the look and certainly the price of this but will it be decent quality? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...s/samsung-hw-h355-sound-bar-22090264-pdt.html

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I think I have that Sammy sound bar you've posted. If not, its very similar. It's spot on for my house.

Listerine & Poledo
For that kind of budget, I'd be taking a trip to Richer sounds and getting a proper AV amp and some real speakers.
Maybe not necessarily all the components for 5.1 or whatever, but at least a good stereo pair.
That way, it's expandable and, likely, better quality.

Inferno 182 CUP
Not everyone has capacity for an AVR and separates ..

I have exactly that atm but my new house is having the new sound bar due to space and neatness

Listerine & Poledo
Each to their own. Budgets, needs, availability etc. are different for us all.

But if there's room for 2x bookshelf speakers somewhere near the TV, then that's all the extra room OP would need over a soundbar which will take up as much if not more room than an amp.
Example £300 set-up
AVR
a set of THESE
then some cables.
Then, if budget/needs ever allow, it can be upgraded with more speakers, a sub etc.
Also, if one part fails, you only replace/fix that part, as opposed to junking the whole lot.

Again, just an idea

Mito Sportiva 135
As no one has replied to my thread, does anyone in hear have any recommendations for center speakers / subs? I have a budget of about £500 in total.

To the original poster - I was originally looking at soundbars but whilst they sound OK, they'll never be as good as separates, so depends how serious you are about quality

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
How about the Cambridge audio minx sound plinth, parents have got one and for the price (around £150) it sounds mint!

Clio Trophy
As no one has replied to my thread, does anyone in hear have any recommendations for center speakers / subs? I have a budget of about £500 in total.

To the original poster - I was originally looking at soundbars but whilst they sound OK, they'll never be as good as separates, so depends how serious you are about quality
try the 2nd link i posted if you want separates

or if you want floor standers

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/onkyo_sksht728.shtml

Listerine & Poledo
Compared to the speakers found in most flatscreens, anything sounds better 😧
From my side, an old Arcam Delta 90 with Some Eltax monitors and switchable Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s. When/if I want to go full surround I've already got most of the speakers, just need a new AVR.
Separates - futureproofing each piece at a tme

Mito Sportiva 135
Hey thanks for the advice but I JUST want a center speaker and sub - I already have 2 x floor standers.
My total budget is about £500

Clio Trophy
well you will want to buy the same make and range as your floor standers then, it is advisable to keep everything matched

Inferno 182 CUP
Tbf the guy asked about soundbars, he may have a reason why not separates so thread is on a bit of a tangent ...

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ha yeah cheers for tips guys not had a chance to check links yet but will do shortly. I guess speakers aren't out of the question but I think I would prefer the look/neatness of the soundbar.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
iVE JUST HAD THE EXACT SAME DILEMMA AND SPENT HOURS IN CURRYS AND THE LIKES LISTENING TO EVERYTHING .. I SPENT £289 ON AN LG NB4540. iT HAD PRETTY GOOD REVIEWS FOR A SOUNDBAR ANS ITS RELATIVELY SIMPLE.

trusted reviews - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-nb4540-review&ei=AZhXVIu6GMzdsATCuoKYDg&usg=AFQjCNHaq2o7wnJO96DDOiJRo2BW99fZAQ&sig2=bRuTDXUGCvULjUWG49izPw&bvm=bv.78677474,d.cWc

av forums review - https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-nb4540-soundbar-review.10482

Sorry about caps ffs .. cba to type again!

I genuinely thought you were a spam bot there.

Inferno 182 CUP
Lol I was pissed off when I glanced at the screen and rage prevented me re typing it [emoji52][emoji379]

Adam, I've had separates for a long time and just gone to that sound bar and I'm quite happy :) it's not as good as separates but it's hideable and much better looking

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers I'll probably take a trip up to currys this week and have a listen and look at singles and the soundbars. I'll probably end up with the one I posted unless something else catches my eye while I'm in there.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm in the same boat Adam, I could get speakers but they look terrible IMO. Just want a nice, neat soundbar.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had a sound bar (sort of, it was my sisters) but I sacked it off and bought an amp and speakers from richer sounds.

That way I can plug my iPod/ phone in to it too and crank it right up at bbq's etc.

(I also bought a thumping great sub but it's massive overkill. Never use it, it makes the floorboards resonate and wall pictures vibrate)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Never had a decent sound set up and have no idea what is good and what isn't manufacturer wise. Basically the TV I have while having good picture lacks decent sound quality with bass etc.

Can anyone advise me of any decent kits that will give a bit more sound quality, its a low budget at £300 but I don't need anything spectacular just something I know is worth its money and not likely to break in 6 months.

I like the look and certainly the price of this but will it be decent quality? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...s/samsung-hw-h355-sound-bar-22090264-pdt.html
For TV and films, you really want a 5.1 system for the best exprericnce. As your on a bidget, your best option would be to get one of these: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-22094666-pdt.html

I have installed a few of these and they sound brilliant (provided you not looking to host a house party with it)! They have a HDMI input and an optical input, so you can plug a skybox/freeview into it, or if your TV has an optical out, you can connect that to it as well. Its a lot of kit for the money!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For TV and films, you really want a 5.1 system for the best exprericnce. As your on a bidget, your best option would be to get one of these: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-22094666-pdt.html

I have installed a few of these and they sound brilliant (provided you not looking to host a house party with it)! They have a HDMI input and an optical input, so you can plug a skybox/freeview into it, or if your TV has an optical out, you can connect that to it as well. Its a lot of kit for the money!
That confirms that my sister wasted money on her sound bar. That looks awesome!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yep I dont know how they manage to pack so much in for the price, it even has Ultra HD 4K disc playback! plus Bluetooth so you can stream music to it form your phone etc.

My mate has a 400w samsung blu ray soundbar massively massively shocked me how good it is, bluetooth from phone onto it, sounds excellent

Listerine & Poledo
That panasonic doesn't look too tragic, for what it is
Useless for anyone who wants to use more than just a blu ray and sky/virgin box though.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
simple you get what you pay for = s**t
I can vouch that it is far from s**t (I install home cinemas so I know what i'm talking about, and like I have said, have installed these into budget systems with great results). its actually very decent for people that want to add good quality sound to there tv system without spending big bucks. provided the OP is not looking to hold a disco with it, its perfect for the normal home user.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Useless for anyone who wants to use more than just a blu ray and sky/virgin box though.
again rubbish. It has a optical in which you can feed from your TV (provided you have an optical out on your tv, most new TV's do), so anything that is feed through the TV plays though this. Also with the Bluetooth and wifi, it does and lot more (smart services are available such as netflix etc)

Tbh, if you have the room (or can make the room) get a 5.1 set up on the go. I wanted a sound bar a couple of years ago, sacked it off & bought us a 5.1
That confirms that my sister wasted money on her sound bar. That looks awesome!
Pics of said sister?..

(prays that's not just you with long hair)

Listerine & Poledo
OK.
So I want to use it to 5.1 the following
PS4
Sky HD
PC

If that Panasonic has ARC of course, then fair enough, but, still, I'd rather have a proper set-up. That way when 1 part blows up, I dont need to junk the whole lot.
Also, bluetooth for hifi audio? Good god no. For a naff speaker to annoy everyone in the park with, yes, for home? I'll stick with iTunes and Remote cheers ;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
OK.
So I want to use it to 5.1 the following
PS4
Sky HD
PC

If that Panasonic has ARC of course, then fair enough, but, still, I'd rather have a proper set-up. That way when 1 part blows up, I dont need to junk the whole lot.
Also, bluetooth for hifi audio? Good god no. For a naff speaker to annoy everyone in the park with, yes, for home? I'll stick with iTunes and Remote cheers :wink:
If you really wanted to do all that even without arc / feedback via optical form the TV, you could use an optical switch. simple. remember its a budget system not a £500 AV receiver. Also i'm sure you can stream to them via DLNA if Bluetooth doesn't take your fancy, but for most, they wont even notice the difference.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers does look good just not sure I want speakers cluttered everywhere.

Ideally I want it to work with virgin tivo box and the xbox will most standard kits manage this?

No discos here either ;). Only doing it to boost the sound quality as the tv alone isn't great.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going milton keynes shopping today so will take a look and hopefully pick something up.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Cheers does look good just not sure I want speakers cluttered everywhere.

Ideally I want it to work with virgin tivo box and the xbox will most standard kits manage this?

No discos here either :wink:. Only doing it to boost the sound quality as the tv alone isn't great.
yes it would work with both of these. IF you only watch TV on your Tivo box, then you would just connect one up with via the HDMI and the other via optical.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yup only play it through tivo and dvd/games on xbox. Hopefully not too complicated to set up lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yup only play it through tivo and dvd/games on xbox. Hopefully not too complicated to set up lol.
I'm going milton keynes shopping today so will take a look and hopefully pick something up.

MAKE SURE YOUR TV SUPPORTS ARC before you buy this for that setup (or has an optical out)! Else you would have to use an optical switch. (i.e. http://www.cables2u.co.uk/into-tosl...n=googlebase&gclid=CJXioMyl48ECFVHMtAod7zoAGQ)

if your tv does have ARC support / an optical out, then you would just plug your tivo and xbox into the TV as normal and connect the Panasonic via either the HDMI or optical out.

p.s. I know what your saying about speakers everywhere, but when you watching a film and the sound is all around you, you can really get immersed!

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
also although this should go without saying, I will just point out that in conjunction with the above, your TV would also need to have at least 3 HDMI ports to work with your setup. If it doesn't, then this system isn't suitable for you.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It has a digital optical out and and arc bits on the back. Just had a look at the back lol. Cheers for the help :).