ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SPA Oil Temp & Pressure Gauge Installation

HBT 172 Cup
My pressure switch is like below for my SPA gauge, i did use a 1/8" BSP to 1/8" NPT adaptor rather than to just wind it straight in and hopew for the best.

Attachments

• 20160107_220848.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 268
  172 Cup
This thread helped me no end so thanks to previous posters. Here's a photo of my install, little bracket made up that uses the holes in the trinket tray...
25881716616_b827a6525c.png

25278895173_9f807c622f.png

Sorry to necro an old thread yet again, but this really has been the best source of Clio specific info when fitting Spa gauges, and in the interest of keeping it all together it seems best to add to this one!

My 2p:

You DO need a 3/8 BSPP to 1/8 BSPP adaptor. That's parallel threads on both sides of the adaptor. I bought them from RS Online (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/) at £8 for a bag of 5 adaptors. It was the cheapest place I could find them in the correct spec. I've still got four spare, so PM me if you want/need just one or two, save you buying a whole bag! It's not good practice to mix and match threads. Will it work? Possibly, but why bother risking it for the sake of a few quid and having a poorly functioning gauge? Threads have tolerances; one persons may go in without causing damage and create a seal, someone else's may not due to the machining tolerances involved, so it's poor advice to follow, as everyone may have different luck.

The bulkhead hole where the bonnet release goes through will fit the pressure connector through it. You don't need to drill anything if you don't want to. I modified the rubber grommet to allow my (3) cables to pass through the top of it and then refitted it. It's a bit fiddly, but it costs £0 and it works. It also keeps most of the cabling out of the way of other things.

Take the power source from the ciggy 12v live, it's yellow and orange (2003 172 is my model). If you install in the dash clock area, you can use the earthing point where the main loom screws into the dashboard support bars very easily. A 5.3mm ring connector will do the job, but try to get a flat one without the plastic connector over the crimp etc as all the others are big/flat and it won't tighten down nicely on the screw if you don't. It's really easy to get to and very easy to run a wire from, especially if you're stripped out. It's also fused separately given its for the accessories etc so you don't need to worry about it if the gauge causes an issue the car will still drive fine.

I used a Mocal sender adaptor plate, it had 2 x 1/8 NPT and 1x 3/8 BSPP (Parallel) ports as mentioned somewhere else in the thread. Good bit of kit! Bought from Merlin Motorsport.

If you're fitting a coolant temp sensor, by far and away the easiest option is to buy another thermostat housing and get a 1/8 NPT weld on ally boss from Merlin Motorsport. Take it to a shop or fit it yourself if you've got the skills. If you look at the housing, there's a fairly self evident area suitable for drilling a hole very near to the OEM sender.

Reactions: Gus

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I got one of these sandwich plates to "stack" with the cooler sandwich plate.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-billet-sandwich-plate-for-sender-fitment-m-tgasp200x
The 1/8 npt is then used for the one sensor and you will need a 3/8 bsp male to 1/8 bsp reducing fitting to fit the other sensor.
Hope that is of some help.
Can't post any pictures as I am going away today and not having any wifi for a week.

Massive bump, but where did you get the 3/8bsp male to 1/8bsp female adaptor Mark?

Looked everywhere and all the 1/8 sides are bspt (tapered not parallel).

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I will have a look at my reciepts tomorrow and see if I can find it.
It may have been from our local hydraulic suppliers.

I've found some now mate, cheers.

One question though, which way have you routed the wiring around the engine bay? Mine will be here this week so I'll be looking to fit it soon.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I've found some now mate, cheers.

One question though, which way have you routed the wiring around the engine bay? Mine will be here this week so I'll be looking to fit it soon.

Mine is in a some conduit and then routed in the tray with the other cables to the right of the engine.
Hard to see but if you follow the cable you can sort of make it out.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
@M.C.. Are you running double sandwich plates, one for the sensors and one for an oil cooler?

yes have a stat plate and a sender plate like this I can try and find the part number if you want?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
yes have a stat plate and a sender plate like this I can try and find the part number if you want?
Glad you mentioned it was a stat one as I was looking at that one too.
No need to double stack.

HEL do a sandwich plate which has ports for sensors and also lines for an oil cooler.

It's thermostatic too.
Do you happen to have a link please?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you mentioned it was a stat one as I was looking at that one too.

Do you happen to have a link please?

172 Ph1
I chose a Torques unit , non thermostatic , the sensor position suited perfectly for me as not so close to the main pipe connections.
It has 2 sensor outlets.

1ae501731a00630abde2528a67206109.jpg

9c70d8242b8e9c382507de2f9a71cbee.jpg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just reading the eBay kit that selling a 10 row but recommends 13... was confusing really. In all fairness I’m not going to bother with the kit and just buy the cooler as I’ll opt for the HEL sandwich plate and braided lines.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

Does the above Hel sandwich plates takeoffs for sensors work fine prior to the thermostatic plate opening?

Photos aren't the greatest being all black and text make out like the pair of outlets/inlets are same just orientated at right angles.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Does the above Hel sandwich plates takeoffs for sensors work fine prior to the thermostatic plate opening?

Photos aren't the greatest being all black and text make out like the pair of outlets/inlets are same just orientated at right angles.

I would imagine so, as the thermostat is never fully closed. There is always some oil flowing through.

R27
Has anyone had issues with oil leaks or oil pressure after fitting a sandwich plate for gauges? Are they safe a reliable to use?