ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers for track car. What's max for rear and front?

Clio Sport II Ph1
Hello everyone,

So first of all I have to tell that I have spacers about 18mm in front and back. Someone test bigger spacers for more grip and can tell what's the max for front and rear ? And wchich is the best size for track? I was thinking that's when it will be wider it will have more grip - am I right? I have small angles on my wheels.

Greetings.

Clio Sport II Ph1
I need some extreme spacers for track. I can remove wheel house shell ( I dont know if its correct word) and make it bigger by the wider body kit.
I need someone who is having rly big spacers and sports driving to tell me what is the line where I can go.

Audi A5
Look through some of the racers project threads, your find no one really goes past 30mm, it's not all about having a wide track.

Clio Sport II Ph1
I dont think so. K-tec is selling 19 mm spacers and its safety.
I was thinking about bigger spacers about 30mm rear and 25mm in front. I can make it but I dont know how the will be driving on track.
And I wrote here cuz I was thinking someone was testing wider spacers setup.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
basically moving the wheels out will increase the leverage on the upright
Think about this, you are increasing the distance to the bottom balljoint, in effect creating a longer lever (arm) increasing torque trying to turn the upright.
add to this braking force and you can see why the effect would be under braking and on uneven surfaces.

not saying it is dangerous, just an effect to keep in mind.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
won't spacers f*ck up the scrub radius?
will make is 'hunt' on braking, tramline and such?
Correct! 15mm up front is the maximum you can go without toatally ruining the scrub geo but that's on standard offset rims of around ET45 (ish). You'll get better handling from roll centre/bump steer corrections, as we've found and proven.

You'll get away with spacing the rears further, but i'd use the stub axle spacers instead of the hubcentric style.

Correct! 15mm up front is the maximum you can go without toatally ruining the scrub geo but that's on standard offset rims of around ET45 (ish). You'll get better handling from roll centre/bump steer corrections, as we've found and proven.

You'll get away with spacing the rears further, but i'd use the stub axle spacers instead of the hubcentric style.

I like this post. :)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
+1 on NorthloopCup

I run 20mm on the front, and it's too wide. I need to reduce this to 15mm to stop it from scrubbing when cornering really hard, although I suspect I could fix that with stiffer springs. That's on ET43 2118's.

On the back I run 15mm with no problems, that's with cambered stub axel spacers.

Clio 172
+1 on @NorthloopCup

I run 20mm on the front, and it's too wide. I need to reduce this to 15mm to stop it from scrubbing when cornering really hard, although I suspect I could fix that with stiffer springs. That's on ET43 2118's.

On the back I run 15mm with no problems, that's with cambered stub axel spacers.

what camber do you run on the rear???

turbo 182
NorthloopCup would you say 20mm bolt to hub spacers on the front would be ok on track without up setting things? My 15" wheels are et37 and inthink I'd need the 20mm to clear the brembo 4pots off a megane which I plan on fitting

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
@NorthloopCup would you say 20mm bolt to hub spacers on the front would be ok on track without up setting things? My 15" wheels are et37 and inthink I'd need the 20mm to clear the brembo 4pots off a megane which I plan on fitting

At ET37 I would be careful... as I said, I am at ET43 with 20mm and mine rub on the track. Then again, I could stiffen things up and may be fine, but I wouldn't go ANOTHER 6mm out.

turbo 182
Ok cheers for that, just bought some brembos from a megane 230 so just need to be able to clear those, so would 10mm do it or would I need to go bigger? Going to have the camber set At either -2 or 2.5 degrees? Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok cheers for that, just bought some brembos from a megane 230 so just need to be able to clear those, so would 10mm do it or would I need to go bigger? Going to have the camber set At either -2 or 2.5 degrees? Thanks
I'm afraid I can't answer that question regards the brembos and spacers. Ph1 Tom will be able to though as he will be running this setup soon.
If it's a track car aim for 2.5-3 degrees negative. If it's road and some track 2-2.5. 10-15 minutes of toe out will do the trick as well.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member

i run brembo's with ET37 wheels and 10mm spacers (wheels are 16in) i want to see if i can go with a 5 or 6 mm spacer

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the wheel. A Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 needs ET30 on a 15" to clear 280mm discs and IIRC it needs ET40 or 35 on a 16" wheel to clear 300mm discs.

A Pro Race 3 needs less offset as they have more brake clearance.

What wheels do you have? scooby-93

Mec 350 slk manual
Depends on the wheel. A Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 needs ET30 on a 15" to clear 280mm discs and IIRC it needs ET40 or 35 on a 16" wheel to clear 300mm discs.

A Pro Race 3 needs less offset as they have more brake clearance.

What wheels do you have? @scooby-93
What size pro racers do you have on your car tom

Clio Sport II Ph1
For my track car I have made spacers like that:
85324157115528041897.jpg

Tomorrow I will make a photo of my wheel and the angle of it. And I will be very pleased if you would tell me if I should make bigger angle or not.
And what about the suspension, what you think should go lower or up or stay like that.
And the last question, I am running the Toyo r888 15/195/50 and what tension should I run on track when 1 lap I have about 2 minuts and its quite lots of bending in the middle and long straight at the end of it... I was thinking to run 1.6 rear and 1.4 in front. What you think?

Cheers mate and see you tomorrow.

182 BG FF
What if your really low? Whats the widest you can go on the front? Do they do 12mm hubcentrics anywhere with longer bolts or that bolt to hub?
Also whats the centre bore / stud diameter and amount on the clio 182? (Clio noob here)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What if your really low? Whats the widest you can go on the front? Do they do 12mm hubcentrics anywhere with longer bolts or that bolt to hub?
Also whats the centre bore / stud diameter and amount on the clio 182? (Clio noob here)

12mm will be fine on the standard wheels.

60.1mm and 4x100

Clio Sport II Ph1
As NorthloopCup said, about the angles for track car its good to be 2,5 - 3 negative the handling on track is pretty much better. I have normal angles in 1st oes and the next I had the angle about 2,5 negative and the times was better about 2-3 sec on lap. U can go much faster and u have much more grip in corners than on standard angles.