ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers, what are the drawbacks

Radical SR3
I am running Speedline Turbines on my Cup for the track, the calipers and wheels when hot foul slightly. I've ground down where I can to clear but thought about fitting spacers as they'll also increase the track slightly...larger footprint and all that (might be placebo).

Any thoughts on what size to go front and rear, any bad experiences? as the car is being pushed HARD on track I don't want weak links.

Lotus Elise
What brakes are you running?

Depending on the inner shape of the wheels 5mm spacers may do the job.

Lotus Elise
I run wilwoods on my Trophy and have no issues with rubbing on my T spec turinis or my 15inch Team dynamics. Strange

Radical SR3
8 quid delivered on eBay for a nasty universal set.
Get those to test the theory, if it works fine get some made which are a more exacting fit.

Seems like a waste of money to me! I'm doing a spot of research (including this site). Demon Tweeks sell the bolts so the question is do I fit 5mm all round or go a little larger to increase the track more, say 10mm?

Thanks for the replies guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
15mm or more make it easier to get proper hubecentric adaptors, 10mm is an awkward size to reliabley achieve.

15mm though can cause clearance issues at the rear.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It will help with clearance at the rear if you have quite a lot of camber. Which is why all the "scene" idiots do it, so they can go "low and wide" and still tuck the tops of the tyres in.

Radical SR3
Thanks Chip, so hubcentric is the preferred route but that means going larger with the spacing? unless I buy car specific smaller spacers that won't allow offset fitment.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Chip, so hubcentric is the preferred route but that means going larger with the spacing?

Yes, in order for it be deep enough to accomodate the existing spigot and then have its own spigot that the wheel sits onto, it needs to be around the 15mm mark.

unless I buy car specific smaller spacers that won't allow offset fitment.

I have no idea at all what that line means, despite having read it several times.

Radical SR3
Ah yes. Jjc rally do a decent looking 16mm kit. What i meant to say was that fitting universals will be hard to sit centrally on the hub so wheel wobble is almost certain :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah yes. Jjc rally do a decent looking 16mm kit. What i meant to say was that fitting universals will be hard to sit centrally on the hub so wheel wobble is almost certain :)

although they wont sit centrally, it doesnt normally cause any sort of wobble as they are so light and so far in so have very little effect on balance.

Audi A5
Just don't get the delta mics ones the bolts are weak.

Also are your brakes scraping on the actual wheels or just the balancing weights?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes I've had problems with the delta mic longer bolts stretching too.
Pure Motorsport stud and nuts is a better option. Or Harry Hockley ones if you have deep pockets (over 200 a set iirc last time I bought them)

alien green rs133
184347_10150421379620603_5460813_n.jpg

25mm spacers with studs and nuts @ 70mph not fun

i must hammer this home, dont skrimp on cheap studs, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!

SQ5
Delta Mics bolt to hub bolts aren't too bad as long as not tightened and undone when warm,

I changed mine for standard wheel bolts with the heads cut down.

Audi A5
The spacers are ok even know they weight a tone but the bolts are like cheese, wouldn't trust them on track myself, would be confident using oe modded bolts though.

Radical SR3
Just don't get the delta mics ones the bolts are weak.

Also are your brakes scraping on the actual wheels or just the balancing weights?

I have no idea what delta mics are/is?

I'm assuming that the JJC items will be decent, I've bought from them before.

The brakes sadly (just nearside) were scraping on the wheel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Delta Mics bolt to hub bolts aren't too bad as long as not tightened and undone when warm,

I changed mine for standard wheel bolts with the heads cut down.

Hardly a good idea to have bolts you cant undo when warm if its for a trackday car for example, lol

They are nowhere near the quality of the original bolts.

Not worth the risk IMHO, the passenger side front ends up a liability.