ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spare computer

A slow one :-(
I have a spare desktop thats sat in my room and is taking up space which i need.
I'd use it as a server but my dad won't be happy at leaving it on 24/7 as its a fire risk.

Specs:

1.3 ghz amd chip
128 DDR ram
2 * 40gb hd
64gb graphic card

I'm thinking of just taking the HDs out and then just scrap the rest of it. Then just wack the hds into a new desktop in the next few months.

Yeah, but I can understand when one of his close mates house burnt down 6 months ago due to an electrical fire. Luckily everyone was ok!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
mines on 24/7 too and no probs!

understandable tho if thats whats happened!

you could play with linux on it, or make a hardware firewall (smoothwall or something), or make it a XP media station!

Yeah I had thought about the latter. What sort of things would I have todo to turn it into a media station?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ud need a gfx card with tv out! at least 512mb ram, lots of HDD space, a didigtal tv tuner card, and windows media centre edition!

iv just built one the other week, not got the DVB card yet tho

RS 200
Even if you put Windows XP on it you can still use it as a sort of Server on the network although technically XP isnt a server, it will still be able to do File sharing, print sharing, content backups (to an external drive or dvd etc) and to some extent even Web Serving.

I have a Windows 2003 server setup doing all of these, allowing me to access my tunes, mail, files and my shared printer from any PC. It also hosts my own website that is available to the internet.

Have a play.
Chris

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I am doing all of this of an old Compaq PIII 733MHz, with 512Mb Ram, 2 HDD's ( 1 20GB - System disk & 1 80GB - Data storage) and an external 250GB mirrored network hard drive for backup storage.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of that the system could be used for, which won't mean upgrading parts is using it as either a mail server, or just something as simple as a media/file storage server.

If you're going to be using it for a web server, then chuck linux on. It handles multiple users alot better than windows does... but you need to have a good connection and plenty of memory, decent cpu, for 32+ users to not get any lag