ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spare parts to take on nurburgring trip

Evo
End of next month me and the misses are heading out to Germany for a long weekend on our own, this being the first time to the Nurburgring ring for us.

Due to the long distance and dangers involved I've decided to leave the 265 at home and take my 172 daily. Should save me a bundle in fuel costs and if the worst did happen losing 2k would be easier to swallow than 20k.

anyway back on subject. What spare parts does everyone usually take? I mean besides the usual spare tyre, a handful of tools, fluids and a selection of bulbs. So far I've got myself a spare aux belt ( air con delete kit so quick to swap ) and that's it. Don't want to be too bulky so basic essentials really.

what do the seasoned nurburgringers amongst us suggest? Anything I should specifically check over besides a general once over before i head over?

Thanks.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Coil pack is common to go, and I'd just take a 1L oil top up. Spark plugs?

​Think that should be plenty

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Don't underestimate the usefulness of a roll of duct tape and some zip ties as well as some spare parts.

I didn't take anything, not even a spare wheel or breakdown cover (both times I went) :eek:

Only went for 4 days each time so didn't see why the car would fail. I realise this isn't the ideal situation though!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You can get pretty much everything over there tbh.

​Although I did take a set of plugs and leads as old 172's seem to like spitting plugs out when getting hammered!

When we went last year we couldve built a clio with the amount of spares we had.

This year im taking,
spare wheels (as many as possible)
Spare fluids for the car.
Jack & a few tools.

Evo
I like the coilpack defo sticking that in a bag, just had new plugs and Magnecor leads so fingers crossed they'll hold up.

Will OEM pads suffice for a couple gentle laps or just melt and kill the drive?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Last year we took 2 clios and between us we had a set or rear disks with bearings, a throttle body. 2 injectors, a set of sparkplugs and 5 litres of oil and coolant. Didn't use a thing as we spent 2 days before prepping cars

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I like the coilpack defo sticking that in a bag, just had new plugs and Magnecor leads so fingers crossed they'll hold up.

Will OEM pads suffice for a couple gentle laps or just melt and kill the drive?
One of the cars we took was running pagid OE spec pads they did 5 laps before showing signs of fatigue and fine again next day. They did 2 Bedford days and a llandow after that

Evo
Okay so the pads will be fine by the sounds of it. Unfortunately I'm not looking to carry that much just what will fit into a luggage bag.

so basically:

spare wheel
aux belt
coil pack.

job done :)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I normally load up with every spare I have the same as I do for a normal trackday.
including a spare set of wheels and all tools, and they have come in handy many a time.
but then saying that, I've often got a spare car with us or on the tow vehicle so space isn't an issue.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to be taking..
1 spare wheel
2 cans of tyre foam
throttle body
my old plugs
maybe a coil pack
Engine oil
An old small trolley jack
Socket set/breaker bar
Cable ties, insulation tape etc
jubilee clips

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
At the ring, In the garage at the hotel we normally use,
i normally get there and they let me put my car and tools in the spare garage they have for the few days we are there.
at a UK track, again in the garages, we normally end up taking the kettle, camp chairs, and a full days picnic or us all aswell :)

LY FF182
That's what I thought for uk days.. Just I know people camp when going to te ring and wondered about the safety aspect of leaving so many parts around

Suzuki Jimny
Don't think it's been mentioned, but I take a tyre pressure gauge and pump.
Drop the pressures after the journey for track fun, and re-inflate for the return trip :)

Evo
Duct tape and cable ties have always been in the boot of all my RenaultSports lol, learned that lesson when my arch liner came off and dragged for miles down the road cos I couldn't get the bugger off the car on a London tunnel run!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I've never camped at the ring, hotels out there are cheap anyhow so I can't see the point in camping.