ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark Plug removal

Clio 172, VW Caddy
Quick one,

is removing the inlet manifold the only way?
Also Anything i need to look out for? Doing a full service and check over, fairly competent.
First time servicing/working on a clio/french car any words of wisdom appreciated.

Thank you

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yes it's the only way to get to them.

Just a case of disconnecting all the sensors that are plugged into the inlet, unbolting it and lifting it off.

Be careful when bolting the inlet back on as those bolts don't need much to snap. Torque to 11Nm if you can.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
The access is underneath the inlet manifold, I think there's a guide somewhere about a 'lazy' way of changing them without taking everything apart completely but it's not really a difficult job.

The recommended spark plugs are the NGK's as they seem to keep the engine purring nicely compared to Bosch etc.

Clio 172, VW Caddy
Spot on, im doing a thorough going over so happy to include dismantling all that, was merely a query, quite looking forward to taking it all apart under there and seeing whats what, also on the spark plugs i researched and made sure i got the ngk platinums,

Spot on for the input gentlemen, much appreciated!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If you start the car after you've finished and find that it is idling quite high, it means there's an air leak so you just need to make sure the inlet is bolted down properly.

Clio 172, VW Caddy
If you start the car after you've finished and find that it is idling quite high, it means there's an air leak so you just need to make sure the inlet is bolted down properly.
Again spot on, really do appreciate it
silly things like that you learn with experience and could save someone in my position a big head ache, thank you

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Remember which coil leads came from each plug too, otherwise it'll run rough.

Not too difficult to work out with the oem coils as they are different lengths, so will only reach so far to each spark plug.