ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker and Amp Combo?

BMW E46 330i Touring
I bought the same amp (or equivalent version) about 6/7 years ago and it's still going strong, great value.

The lack of remote is annoying though.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, if it looks exactly the same as the one you've linked to. I've always intended to replace it with something more sophisticated and better build quality, but it's never put a foot wrong to make me get rid!

Have got some Gale 3020's, or 2030's, or something, to go with it and the combination is great for me.

Octy VRS
Sorry, but unless you are an anal audiophile they are not. Both Gale and CA get good reviews in What Hifi and the like. For the budget for NEW items you won't get much better.

Of course you can source decent second hand Quad stuff if you can be bothered from Ebay, but they tend to look old even if internally are not.

BMW E46 330i Touring
They may not be high end, but they're plenty good enough for a budget system IMO.

Denon's great, but that amp's 2nd hand and 4 years old. With electrical equipment that's always going to be risky.

I'd rather a lower quality system brand new with a guarantee than better stuff that's older with no comeback if it's faulty or breaks...

Just dont... Cambridge and gale stuff are both rather nasty!
Sorry, but unless you are an anal audiophile they are not. Both Gale and CA get good reviews in What Hifi and the like. For the budget for NEW items you won't get much better.

Of course you can source decent second hand Quad stuff if you can be bothered from Ebay, but they tend to look old even if internally are not.

Richersounds also do a lot of expensive advertising in What Hi-Fi which is a terrible magazine anyway. If you dont see the relevance of that, check who owns Cambridge Audio and Gale.

You dont have to be an 'anal audiophile' to appreacite supperior sound quality. I would much rather spend my money on those second hand items. IMO a good £200 all in one unit will be FAR superior to the cambriodge audio/gale system recomended.

Octy VRS
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good quality sound. I've been brought up with a house full of my dad's Quad gear. I assume the guy wants new and has a budget.

I'd usually spend more on speakers but they are good for the money and I've never had any problems with CA amps, simple interface with a warm sound. I've used one in a DJ setup in a bar before and it never let us down.

What Hi-Fi is a decent mag for the consumer market, sometimes biased but it's relevant and gives decent reviews.

I doubt that an all in one unit would be far superior either, most wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but he wants an amp and speakers.

If you want second hand gear then go for it.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I think there is a prejudice against Cambridge Audio, but their latest stuff is good.

My friend's 740C was about as good as my Copland CDP costing many times more.