ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker and amp help please.

Hi,

I realise this is not an audio forum, but i think there are probably some people on here who know a fair bit about home audio etc.

Hopefully someone will will kindly help me.

Im going to order these speakers i think:

http://www.froogle.homecinematv.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MIS-MV6-BLACK&warrantyid=

And eventually i will order an amp for them (the next day if i need too)

But for the moment i was wondering if i could run them on my current Phillips hi fi's internal amp.. which i have a scan from the manual below.

Would the amp inside my hi fi be able to power the speakers (even if just a little bit)?

speakers.gif

Thanks

Clio 1.4 RT
Rated wattage for those speakers is 'Watts: 25-125W' according to the website. The output power for your HiFi amp is 150W per channel. So in a word, yes.

That would be too much power then wouldnt it? it says max 125w per channel.

Is it probably "hyped" up in the manual. and the amp is not really that powerful?

Oh and it says 4ohm for the amp. I think the speakers are 8ohm.

Does that mean i would divide the amps power in half for the 8ohm speakers?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
On the power front, that looks perfect mate.

You'll only get 150W power from your amp when its turned up full. So as long as its never on full wack the speakers will be fine. Not sure if you still have to with modern day speakers, but you used to have to run them in, as in no high power for a few days/weeks and build the power gradually over that time, not 100% sure on that tho.

With speakers at lower power rating than your amp, you'll hear you speakers cracking and popping when you've got too much power going to them, eg around 125W+. When you buy a new amp, you prob wont hear you speakers doing this if your amp if lower power than the speakers, in which case NEVER turn your amp up to max, because when the amp starts clipping, your speakers will be fucked. I think the optimum level of power for speakers and amp is running them at around 75-80% of their own power ratings. That's my opinion from what I've heard when listening to speakers a few years ago. I've been a bit out of touch on the Hi Fi scene lately so no idea how much better speakers are than a couple of years ago.

Normally, your speakers Ohm rating should match your amp Ohm rating. Think my amp runs 4-8ohmn for example.

Last edited:
Excellent, nice one for taking the time to explain mate.

Im using them for light DJing, so i normally turn the vol up half way on the hi fi and just use the mixer for volume ( never over 75% though) so should be all good.

Thanks.

I presume by light DJing that you mean home use only? Wouldn't recommend them for anything more than that. They are great domestic speakers but wouldnt stand up to heavier use than that

Just home djing. I realise they wont be boomy. but i think they will be just right for my useage. i dont blast it too much either so should be ok.