ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker Help

Ok, so my new door cards (Sport ones :D) are coming on Tuesday. I don't want to drill these ones to fit my 6.5" speakers so I'm going to fit 5.25" ones and possibly move the full component system into a custom fitment in the boot of the car; tweeters hidden in the air vents and the woofers in two custom boxes.

So to make this easier I have to get it from Halfords as I have a £38 voucher. I'm willing to spend up to £60 (including the voucher).

I have a set of these in the back. Alpine SXE 1325S 5.25" speakers, they're 200W Peak and more importantly they're 35W RMS. I think I would like something with a bit more "punch", that way sound would be better in the front than in the back; here is a few I found. These are from the 13cm and 5.25" speakers listing in their stock.

Speaker
Alpine SXE-1325SJVC CS-HX748FLI Comp 5
RMS35W40W75W
Peak Power200W230W
225W
Cost£30£50£30

So those are what I'm considering... The Fli Comp 5 has supposedly the best stats, but what do you think of it? To be honest I might just play it safe and get another set of Alpines.

Also, would it be worthwhile putting an amp between the head-unit and these? I have this Pioneer MVH-8300BT, it has an max output of 50w.

Cheers for any and all help guys :D

Listerine & Poledo
you might be hard pushed to get 6.5" woofers in those back vents, if you mean the boot-cover ones.

If you mean the ones in the rear "door" cards, no hassles.

Are you amp.ing these? In any case out of those you mention, I'd go with the Alpine. Only since I dont rate JVC kit and FLI is just a pseudonym of Chav

Yeah I want to hide the tweeters (around 1-2") in the air vents by the parcel shelf, the woofers will go in custom boxes. I'm not amping at the moment but I'm considering amping these (front coaxial, rear coaxial and rear component) with one amp with a max output of 190W and separate sub-woofers with a separate amp later on.

EDIT: Forget all that. Just re-read it and realised what the whole 6.5" thing was about :p

Well done for identifying RMS. On a related note a "max output" of 50w on a headunit usually means an RMS of around 16 - 22w RMS depending on the quality of the headunit. Needless to say the speakers aren't being used to their potential so if you can be bothered with the fuss amping the front components would be advised. If you had a good multichannel amp you could also use that to power a sub or your 6.5"s in the boot for bassier stuff.

Also don't forget to have a really good rummage around your headunit. You can make a massive improvement just by fine tuning your HPF, fade, equaliser etc. I don't know how useful this suggestion is as I've never had a proper play with a pioneer HU so no idea of the depth of settings. It's only a mid-range thing but I love my alpine HU for it's sound settings.

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
Vibe slick and black air are pretty good for the price, normally when you go into halfords you can test the speakers so just do that. Don't always look at the specs, I went in the other week and found that the vibe slick speakers sounded better than any others yet didn't have the best specs.

EDIT: Forget all that. Just re-read it and realised what the whole 6.5" thing was about :p

Well done for identifying RMS. On a related note a "max output" of 50w on a headunit usually means an RMS of around 16 - 22w RMS depending on the quality of the headunit. Needless to say the speakers aren't being used to their potential so if you can be bothered with the fuss amping the front components would be advised. If you had a good multichannel amp you could also use that to power a sub or your 6.5"s in the boot for bassier stuff.

Also don't forget to have a really good rummage around your headunit. You can make a massive improvement just by fine tuning your HPF, fade, equaliser etc. I don't know how useful this suggestion is as I've never had a proper play with a pioneer HU so no idea of the depth of settings. It's only a mid-range thing but I love my alpine HU for it's sound settings.

Yeah I currently run the HPF on the Pioneer of 63Hz, although I sometimes turn it up to 80Hz if my doors begin to vibrate lol. I have the Low-Mid EQ all set up perfectly and run a loudness setting with a mild bass booster. I do find that the front components are quieter than they should be, I think this is due to the low supplied power. :/

But anyway, you would recommend the Alpine ones as well then?

tbh without amping them u probably wouldn't notice a differences in the speakers halfords sell, (also if you find a speaker in halfods for eg.£60, car audio security probably sell them for £30) uses the voucher for oil or car cleaner lol...
I would recommend 5 channel amp e.g alpine PDX-5 with some alpine speakers or stretch to some JL Audio C2's.

use the RMS to match the speakers to the amp but dont compare speaker makes by Wattage.
Higher PEAK or Rms doesnt mean Better Speaker companys like vibe use it to sell there speakers (i had a set of the vibe space 6's and they was 125wrms and there top ones and was s**t), i got some JL audio speakers running 75wrms sounds amazing.

hope it helped alittle