ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker wire for surround sound

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Just after some feedback regarding cabling for a 5.1 setup for the TV.

I've bought a 2nd system over the weekend and tested it, which works fine. Although I had some longer cables with it, I might need just a little longer on the other three. The sub connects all the satellite speakers through standard spring clips with the black & red terminals.

Looking in the manual, it says that the manufacturer recommends 18-gauge or higher. Does the 'higher' value go up in numerical value or down - as I've seen other sites online referring to 12-gauge, etc.

Any suggestions on the type of cable to buy (much of a muchness from the likes of Amazon?) - would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
D.

Listerine & Poledo
smaller number = thicker wire.

I used a load of THIS to lay out my surround speakers, but equally a roll of THIS will do just fine, given what you've read from the manufacturer

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't usually need mega wire for rears, just as long as it's not total s**t, the stuff above would be fine.

What system is it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the responses guys.

@R3k1355 - It's an older Logitech Z-5500 system, which I paid peanuts for tbh. Loving the sound so far - I'm not a fan of wall-shaking bass or sounding like I'm in the middle of a war zone.

But having some richer audio coming through while watching TV is nice. I was surprised at how much better just watching the BTCC sounded - compared to the integral TV speakers.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
z-5500 is a really decent all in one system to be fair!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
When I first got mine I noticed halfrauds had some speaker cable in the bargain bin so I grabbed that and it's done the trick, might be worth a look.

Really love the Z5500's - Have you tried the secret menu and volume booster yet ? ?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
The vol needs boosting even more?

Had a set for my PC for ages then a couple of years ago got another set off my mate (he was gonna take them to the tip!).

I took the stands off them and sat them the same way as the front centre so they look a bit sleeker in the living room. Bit of foam sticker underneath and they don't wobble.

Had to do the same as you and get some longer wires for the rears.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The vol needs boosting even more?

haha agreed they are loud, always fun to see how much bass you can get out of them on +22 boost, they handle the volume remarkably well for the size of the satellites. The small 5a fuses are a pain to find though if you overcook it !

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
haha agreed they are loud, always fun to see how much bass you can get out of them on +22 boost, they handle the volume remarkably well for the size of the satellites. The small 5a fuses are a pain to find though if you overcook it !

I can remember going up to Maplins to get one within the first few days of ownsership. Don't think I overdid it lol...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out my man-maths of looking at the length of coiled cable was way out - I had plenty left. :p

More than happy with the set. Paid £50 for the full lot and sold my old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 to my mate for a token £15. So on balance, £35 is a worthy investment.