ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spec me a camera

The GF is hinting at a camera for her birthday, first she wanted an iPad but has now decided she would like a camera instead. So I'm looking at around £400. I'm guessing something like a Nikon 1 (that style camera) and not a full blown SLR camera will be better for her. Which one though? So many have came out since they first appeared.

DB.

BMW 440i
I'd go with a low end Nikon/Canon if you can, will most likely mean more to her and she will think it's more special.

I spent circa £400 on my Nikon D3100 a while back, great camera and has the HD video element as well.

DB.

BMW 440i
Based on my experiences with my D3100, I'd whole heartedly recommend that, she would love it!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sony NEX-5R?

Had one a week or so now and I'm so impressed with it, ease of use and image quality shames my D60. Well designed to hold and use, very light, good menu system with pop up info so great if she is new to it all. Low light photos really impress, image quality is superb, full manual controls and a very good auto mode if you're feeling lazy.

Few smart features like the 180 degree tilting screen, send photos direct to iPhone/android phones or upload to the web, face recognition so it will focus on pre-set faces (I've not tried this) and a huge choice of lenses available.

Only downsides I'm aware of so far are that the flash isn't built in (it stores on the strap and you have to attach it), battery life isn't great and you have to charge it through the camera (I'll buy a 3rd part charger and extra batteries) and the view finder is an optional accessory.

Last edited:
I just bought a 5n with two kit lenses off the sony outlet store, once the kit lenses are sold on eBay it will have cost me just over £100! Not bas for the Nikon d7000 sensor in your pocket!

RB 182 Cup
Fujifilm X10, now the X20 is out, you can buy them new for about £280. Small but packed with features and it looks gorgeous (IMHO). Magnesium body.

The original Nikon V1 is also cheap now, £250 for a camera that initially cost £850. Magnesium body is very well made and tough as an old boot.

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/

The above website is a great price comparison site for cameras.

To me, the larger the camera, the less likely I am to carry it and therefore the less likely I am to get a great photo.