ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Special Bus' last Hurrah

Took Special Bus on to Oulton Park again last Tuesday. Weather was perfect for it and there was a lot of grip right from the get go. Car was performing exceptionally well right up until the last session.

Some pictures from the day. (James Bryan's handy work) ;)

DSC_3030_zps96868362.jpg

Oulton7_zps31d3a38a.jpg

Oulton4_zpsf00cfe7f.jpg

Oulton6_zps8967dcf8.jpg

and a quick drive by video courtesy of JonG.

Unfortunately a problem occurred a couple of corners after the drive by in that video. I nursed the car in to the pits and shortly after there was a unhealthy tapping coming from the top of the engine, so it would appear that's going to be the end of Special bus as the costly repairs of fixing it aren't worth it when you consider how much the car is worth.

Either way, had a cracking day and at least the car went out doing what it does best :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought about it yeah, even searched on here and on Ebay for new engines but the chances of finding one as strong as the current one are very low and if I ended up with a duff one, I'd lose interest and break the car anyway. Time to cut my losses I think.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Such a shame mate, it was driving very well all day. The best Clio I've ever heard that's for sure. Exhaust will be gone in no time at all. R.I.P :(

Such a shame mate, it was driving very well all day. The best Clio I've ever heard that's for sure. Exhaust will be gone in no time at all. R.I.P :(

Ayee that exhaust was the Cups and this car party piece. I had countless P.Ms about the exhaust when I broke the Cup lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I had thought about it yeah, even searched on here and on Ebay for new engines but the chances of finding one as strong as the current one are very low and if I ended up with a duff one, I'd lose interest and break the car anyway. Time to cut my losses I think.
Very true mate.TBH The only reason I haven't broken my 172 is that the engine is strong.

Gutted. Cant you stick another engine in it?

Not unless a proven decent engine pops up for sale in next couple of days or so. The current engine made 178bhp and 161lbs ft the other month, imagine how flat the car would feel if I ended up buying an engine that only produced 160bhp or less? That would just frustrate me and I'd break the car anyway so I may as well save myself that £300/£400 and break it now.

It's a k-tec stealth, don't ask me why it sounds like that cos I've no idea lol. Had it on my Cup as well and it sounded exactly the same. Just a k-tec inspired induction kit, I hadn't realised it sounded like that until I'd seen the videos.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not unless a proven decent engine pops up for sale in next couple of days or so. The current engine made 178bhp and 161lbs ft the other month, imagine how flat the car would feel if I ended up buying an engine that only produced 160bhp or less? That would just frustrate me and I'd break the car anyway so I may as well save myself that £300/£400 and break it now.

Get ya

RenaultSport 172
Man that's such a shame if you had to break that car. Looks great and I like the red wheels. I would so be having that engine rebuilt, or even stick it in the garage and do it DIY style.
Will look out for your thread if you break it though

Man that's such a shame if you had to break that car. Looks great and I like the red wheels. I would so be having that engine rebuilt, or even stick it in the garage and do it DIY style.
Will look out for your thread if you break it though

It's very tempting to fix it tbh. It's been by far the best of the 3 RS clios I've owned and it'll be sad to see it go but I've always said once something big does go wrong with it, it's time to get get rid. End of the day it's a £1200-£1400 car and to put another £600+ in to it just isn't logical.

Sounds awesome in that video, sounded sweet that time i met you in manchester for the steering wheel. Shame your having to break it tho mate, just get another engine in ;-) lol

When I gave all those people staying in the nearby hotel an early Sunday wake up call :p

Give us your engine and I will ;) haha!

FLOL!

Looks like the Clio was showing it a fairly clean pair of heels... Well at least kicking it with the big boys anyway.

Held it's own, considering that Meg is at stage 1 as well. He was destroying me on the straights and out of the corners but I was able to catch him back up under braking.

That's how it looks... I put it down to the hero driver ;)

You should have been on there with us... Cop out :p

I'm so sad to see this car go. And that exhaust. That exhaust was the single most distinguishable noise ever.

Lol. Special Bus wouldn't let go of that exhaust today, took fooking ages to get it off, clearly it wants to die with the exhaust still attached.