ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speed + carbon bonnet + clio latch = bugger

172cup
Ok, so decided to have a play with a Merc SL type thing on the way home from work last night, luckily there's a long strip of private runway on my way home, so its ideal ;) BTW this is at 2am

I decided in my infinate wisdom to floor it, and do so for quite a considerable time. I got up to 142mph showing on the sat nav, and held it for about 2 mins at that speed.

After this, i slowed down, came off the private runway, and parked up on my drive. Once i got out, i noticed my bonnet was completely buckled. The OS was still latched flush, yet the NS was a good 8" in the air. I couldnt lift it, couldnt disconnect, couldnt push it back down. I had to disconnect the front grill to get to the latch and free it.

Basically, it has buckled all the bonnet struts, and bent the spring latch. Popped all the plastic clips for the grill, and bent the panel.

Not sure if the carbon bonnet has anything to do with it, or just the speed forcing the bonnet up on the crap clio latch. Only thing is, the latch was in good nick, checked by Reno previously & regularly greased etc. The carbon bonnet does have a different fitting to std, however the front is identical, its only at the back by the coil pack that there is a large gap so not sure if it effects pressures under the bonnet or not. Just pissed off at my car again now lol. It never goes long before im annoyed with it

Just thought i'd share lol

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
flippin eck mate lucky it didnt open at that speed!!

out of interest what was your speedo showing?

182-racing-blue

Just thought id say that maybe, just maybe you shouldn't have posted your top end.

Anyhoo, does the cf bonnet have sound deadening, if not it will increase the airflow in to the bay and force it up at that speed. Seen it happen.

172cup
yeah that was my thought, im bloody glad it didnt open. Luckily the plastic grill and the bent struts kept it from going any higher. Think if i had driven for any longer my luck would have run out. Only thing is, the carbon bonet weighs nothing so it could have potentially just bounced off the windscreen... although i guess at that speed i may have had a carbon imprint on my skull

Didn't see what the speedo read as i was focussed on the road, and just glancing over to the speed indicator on my satnav

172cup
Just thought id say that maybe, just maybe you shouldn't have posted your top end.

Anyhoo, does the cf bonnet have sound deadening, if not it will increase the airflow in to the bay and force it up at that speed. Seen it happen.

Why not post my top end? Private runway like i said anyway ;) I am not posting to brag, i am posting to say what speed actually screwed my bonnet

Nimbus Megane R26
be careful doing that speed mate..my mate was caught doing 100 around there at 2am and didnt notice the volvo behind him..luckily got let off with 3 and a 60quid fine.

*sits and waits for the internet police to complain about speed*

cock mobile.
Hahahaha classic.

Bet the Merc driver would be wetting himself if he read this.

172cup
^^ lol i know. Massive fail or what

Just about right though... Mr Merc sits in silent reliability at 140, Mr Clio screems at 140 with bolts and bonnets falling off.

League... well out of it

MCS R56
Why not post my top end? Private runway like i said anyway ;) I am not posting to brag, i am posting to say what speed actually screwed my bonnet

Any cunning detectives may use this as evidence, so posting top end speeds are not advisable. You are admitting to driving at double the speed limit and if you were caught on camera or cctv.....(not likely but you never know). I think we know you're not bragging and just explaining how the bonnet buckled.

Nissan 350z
Any cunning detectives may use this as evidence, so posting top end speeds are not advisable. You are admitting to driving at double the speed limit and if you were caught on camera or cctv.....(not likely but you never know). I think we know you're not bragging and just explaining how the bonnet buckled.

Double the speed limit on PRIVATE ground. He said it was on a runway if you read all his replies so unless the land owner reported it theres nothing they could do other than sit and watch :)

E30 318iS x2
Wouldn't be so sure about the SL's not falling apart had plenty go wrong with ours

3 x Renaults + Lexus
I have a Renault R26-R bonnet on my Meg not a replica. I have been in excess of 150 on track several times with no issues. CF does not bend mine is very ridgid.Some replicas have a CF top and is mounted on fibreglass frame.

Dont know what private runway you are on in Cheshire I dont know of any?????

IMG_5168.JPG

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
MK2 Clio comes all the way to the grill edge, so will lift to some degree! Had a nose when it was at kevs, tbh i think its the bonnet at fault, the fit tollerence is less than standard (bigger gaps) Looks good though :)

182-racing-blue

You try and help a guy out. Couldn't give a crap if you are bragging or not.

MCS R56
Double the speed limit on PRIVATE ground. He said it was on a runway if you read all his replies so unless the land owner reported it theres nothing they could do other than sit and watch :)

I meant CCTV on a PUBLIC road. All I'm saying is, it's not advisable or clever - it's not difficult to grasp.

172 Cup
I have a Renault R26-R bonnet on my Meg not a replica. I have been in excess of 150 on track several times with no issues. CF does not bend mine is very ridgid.Some replicas have a CF top and is mounted on fibreglass frame.

Dont know what private runway you are on in Cheshire I dont know of any?????

IMG_5168.JPG

Not many tracks in the UK you could get that speed tbh

172cup
Nope but i could see fibre glass giving way before CF. I can only assume the bonnet is not CF

it didn't bend... it lifted. It was the latches that bent.

It is a carbon fibre bonnet, not laminated fibreglass. Once i got the bonnet catch freed, the bonnet straightened up again back to exactly how it was. It was just the bent struts that made it looked buckled

bic

Land Rover Discovery
Glad it wasnt too serious though, close call

more than likely a fibreglass inner frame, nothing to do with the topside panel. Hence why we always try to explain to customers spending that bit more on our pre preg bonnets with carbon inner frame is the better route, far stronger and no issues with giving way.

Is the megane bonnet from renault out of interest when you say genuine then ? the manufacturers are finally listening lol

Ifmanufactured form factory, the meg bonnet will 99% be full pre preg carbon, for reasons like this thread, of course could have just been catch letting go, i have probably not read thread completely, any damage to the mechanism area on underside of the bonnet ?