ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sports cat- torque increase?

182-racing-blue

yes. marginal but yes.

Someone will probably have figures and I think it depends what system you have on the end of it.

182-racing-blue

too expensive, will not pass MOT (in 80% of the case) . Get a decat

The whole point of having a sports cat is to pass the MOT. 80% is a wild exaggeration me thinks.

95% of all statistics are made up yeah?

where do you get your facts from?

RS RIP
^^ from here + own experience ;)

Mine failed MOT twice , strangely enough one time was okay ?! Most cars do'nt pass Mot with it, best way to maybe pass is to have a VERY good blast in the car before doing the test, with the cat red hot.

I've sold mine because the decat is better power-wise

182-racing-blue

It will run better with the de-cat, yes. The emissions will be through the roof though.

I have no reason to doubt k-tec and their bhp figures are estimates. I think you must have had a duff cat mate. Maybe you should start a poll. Ever had a sports cat fail an MOT? and see what response you get. Won't be 80% failure.

My car fitted with a Mark Fish modified Janspeed sports cat just passed its MOT I'm pleased to say.

clio 182 + cup packs
^^ from here + own experience ;)

Mine failed MOT twice , strangely enough one time was okay ?! Most cars do'nt pass Mot with it, best way to maybe pass is to have a VERY good blast in the car before doing the test, with the cat red hot.

I've sold mine because the decat is better power-wise

the reason it didnt pass is because u must warm the cat up fully before it starts to work correctly withc you need to tell your friendly mot man that

Ph1
I wouldnt bother with a sports cat either on a 172. Its just half a job for lots of outlay.
Difference between a cat and a sports cat will be slim. Difference between a cat and a decat is decent but not 7 bhp decent (imo) even for that! Obviously there will be exceptions.

182 defo a waste of time as they already run reduced cell cats as stock so the difference between that cat and a sports will be bugger all

Decat or leave alone imo

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i was going to get a sports cat from ktec going from a 182 manifold to a ktec stealth. the reason being i would of had to change th manifold every mot if i had a decat coz of the 182 manni, how ever after reading this i am gettin the 182 manni and a decat machined by my bro and a connector machined so i can connect original cat to 182 manni so its quick swap for mot, this is good for 172 owners thinking of buying a decat.
if it works out im sure me bro wouldnt mind making um for members for material prices.

Ph1
i was going to get a sports cat from ktec going from a 182 manifold to a ktec stealth. the reason being i would of had to change th manifold every mot if i had a decat coz of the 182 manni, how ever after reading this i am gettin the 182 manni and a decat machined by my bro and a connector machined so i can connect original cat to 182 manni so its quick swap for mot, this is good for 172 owners thinking of buying a decat.
if it works out im sure me bro wouldnt mind making um for members for material prices.

Think you might struggle with that. The 172 cat pipework is curved plus the cat box silencer part is huge (double cat type) and you would need to hack through the internal material which could cause problems.

Try a cat from another car like a Rover or a Vauxhall as these i belive have a shorter cat / box part - just weld the 172 flanges on

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My car fitted with a Mark Fish modified Janspeed sports cat just passed its MOT I'm pleased to say.

Been talking to that guy over email this week... how much was the CAT mate? Does he fit the whole exhaust system?

PH1 172 Sport
I got a janspeed sports cat for a 172 off of ebay for £102 so it got to be worth a go it cant be more restrictive than the stcok cat so even if it gives a bit more bhp and torque ill be happy.

Theres no reason why a sports cat shouldn't pass an MOT providing the tester has the brains to get the car warmed up properly first.

I just cant be doing with the hassle of a decat on a 172. If I had a 182 then yes I would get one but the cat is just too much of a pain in the backside to change on a 172!

ITB'd MK1
182 defo a waste of time as they already run reduced cell cats as stock so the difference between that cat and a sports will be bugger all

kind of agree, but there is a difference. The outlet side of the standard 182 cat is TINY. I've seen quite a few blocked 182 cats recently too, looks like they're breaking up and some cells collapsing on themselves.

Lots of Alfas
The one that k-tec sell is the Janspeed one. I have it on my car and its passed 2 mots with it on.

Lots of Alfas
I can never tell, the standard 172mk1 twin chamber cat isnt too bad as it is. I replaced mine as it got damaged hitting a brick in the road.

PH1 172 Sport
Fair enough. I only got it as it was cheap and I cant see the standard one lasting for ever!

had no problems with my sports cat on the cup , did notice a difference but presume the 182 manifold addition made the biggest impression overall .

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Think you might struggle with that. The 172 cat pipework is curved plus the cat box silencer part is huge (double cat type) and you would need to hack through the internal material which could cause problems.

Try a cat from another car like a Rover or a Vauxhall as these i belive have a shorter cat / box part - just weld the 172 flanges on

sounds like a good idea, i just told ma bro that i was thinkin of gettin the sports cat for mot from th 182 manni and he said dont be daft he will make me a connector up, i wouldnt put it passed him tbh he can make almost anything with time coz he loves it, but the different cat option mite make more sense and he would probobly second that too!

Honda ATR
Id just go with the decat....have a look on das ebay. Scorpion do one for £50, not as tidy as say a yozzasport one. At half the price who cares. Find the exhaust fumes really stink tho (love it)

03 RS clio 172 flameR

ha ha, ye thats the solution i was looking for, only my brothers welding is 100%. hes into carbon fibre fabricating at the moment, not at home of course hes got a job in it, but his shed is basiclly a miniture machine factory, he can make almost anything. so i think im going down the route shown in that thread but not DIY it lol.
cheers anyway

RS RIP
^^ i'm doing the same this/next week. 182 manifold will be mounted, the 172 K-tec decat i have now on the 172 manifold will be cut to fit the new setup , and then i will start on the original 172 cat to make it just like MarkOne has done.. Will get somebody else to do the welding ; MarkOne's welding looks very very good compared to what i would do to it :D

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^^ sounds cool, i wont be starting till january when got some funding for the 182 manifold, but keep me posted and some picks of the finished product

rps13
I have a sports cat and standard exhaust,

dont bother

lovely little torque increase and car always feels eager to play now but not the gain i was expecting.

i'd go

182 mani----->custom sports cat/decat section------->single box------>silencer

back pressure, not too much noise and more power & proven torque

RS RIP
^^ the standard exhaust ain't doing you good i think.

My setup will have the Ktec stealth (from decat to back) which is already on there now

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^^ ther is no phisical way a sports cat of any kind can compare to a decat as its a restrictor. yes it will pass a mot but with making the bracket me and franx are going to do its going to make decat life easy!

Clio 182 Mondeo Ghia Est
You might find the info on the website for the RS192 exhaust of some interest. In it's development they ran a number of trials using a sports cat, decat and cat-back system and only found a 1.5bhp difference between a cat-back and decat system (de-cat being the higher). They didn't even bother persuing the sports cat option as the standard one is already effectively a sports cat.
I'm hoping to get the cat-back system fitted in the next couple of weeks and will try and get a before and after rolling road test done to compare the 2.WWe found that a twin rear silencer set up out performed a single one, and that the decat pipe produced more top end power but lost a little bit of torque compared to the standard Renault catalytic converter. We also discovered that our prototype sports cat pipe made hardly any difference over the standard cat pipe so any further development on this component was halted.e found that a twin rear silencer set up out performed a single one, and that the decat pipe produced more top end power but lost a little bit of torque compared to the standard Renault catalytic converter. We also discovered that our prototype sports cat pipe made hardly any difference over the standard cat pipe so any further development on this component was halted.We found that a twin rear silencer set up out performed a single one, and that the decat pipe produced more top end power but lost a little bit of torque compared to the standard Renault catalytic converter. We also discovered that our prototype sports cat pipe made hardly any difference over the standard cat pipe so any f

PH1 172 Sport
Well I fitted my sports cat yesterday (never again!) and gave it a test drive this morning after the silicone had gone off. Its definately made a noticable difference.

Theres allot more torque low down and the 5k kick has pretty much disappeared I assume because the torque/power curve has been smoothed out more. Exhuast is also less boomy but is much louder on full throttle :) Not worth the full price IMO unless your stock cat has died but I'm more than happy with it especially for 100 notes :)