ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying over Lacquer

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I've got a spoiler I want to spray the same colour as my car, but it's already been sprayed (a different colour obviously).

Do I have to sand it back to the basics and primer it?

Or can I spray over the colour/lacquer? If so, what should be sprayed over the top (primer?)?

Chocolate Bar™
depends how sound the paint is. if the paintwork is pretty much perfect, albeit a different colour then you could get away with sanding it (not fully down to plastic) and then painting it as normal.

if any of the paintwork is flaky or cracking or ouwt, i'd sand it all off to save problems in the future.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Basically if its a mint pannel i.e no chips etc then you will be able to flat it with something like P1500 or P2000 abrasive then just put a couple of base coats (Colour) Then re-laquer. If its chipped or generally in poor nic then you will need to flat back all the chips with P320 or P400, then build up the grades I.e P320 - P400 - P600 (Wet) - P1000 (Wet) - P2000 (Wet) Then just base and laquer

scotch brite it. did it today on a spoiler. if the spoiler is in good condition then just key the clear coat and spray right over it.

CS Dungeon
Just key it up with wet and dry 1st and you will be fine

You also need some plastic primer from halfrauds or similar

Punto/Clio GTT
plastic primer promotes adhesion along with scan seal. plastic primering over laquer is not needed at all as its already been done previously to promote the current basecoat. just needs a wetflat or grey scotchbrite (if the finish is v good), basecoat and laquerin

M

mouthyman

i think if you use an acid etch or etch primer then you can spray straight over the lacquer

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Well I think F_M knows what he's talking about working in a body shop and all, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

renault clio 1.9d
im a painter, if u wanna jus paint the spoiler an its already bin painted on, key it off with 800 grade wet n dry or a red scotch brite an then blow the dust ect off, try not to grease it up with rue hands tho coz then the paint will react, an laquer is the coat u put on after u put ure colour on it gives the shine....