ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying

98 Clio 1.2
What would i need to spray the tailgate of my car? I dont want to do it out of a can, and if it goes wrong it'll just be sent off to the bodyshop. Obv i'll need paint and a spray gun, what else? Cheers

Chocolate Bar™
paint prep wipes, masking, brown paper, ideally knowledge and skill would be a bonus...

98 Clio 1.2
Primer/laquer/sanding etc?

Yeh when i said paint i meant primer and laquer aswell, what i really meant was would i need some kind of compressor or sumthing? I've heard that the gravity spray guns aren't very good

98 Clio 1.2
ideally knowledge and skill would be a bonus...

Like i said mate, if it all c**ks up (which it most probably will) it willl be getting done proffesionaly after that, just wanted to give it a go myself to see what the outcome would be like. I understand that even if it doesn't mess up, the finish still wont be as good as a profesional job obviously.. Doing this more for fun that anything else really

Evo 6, E92 320d
Yeh when i said paint i meant primer and laquer aswell, what i really meant was would i need some kind of compressor or sumthing? I've heard that the gravity spray guns aren't very good

You still need a compressor with a grav feed gun. Mine worked fine, i have one of each.

98 Clio 1.2
You still need a compressor with a grav feed gun. Mine worked fine, i have one of each.

Ohh, i assumed gravity feed guns didn't need compressors :S Probably a silly question, but where could i get a compressor from? Also is there a major difference in the quality of the finish depending on wether you use a can or gun?

Punto/Clio GTT
nothing wrong with gravi-fed guns at all, whoever told you that has no clue of painting.

just try get yourself an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) to cut down on excess overspray and wasted paint.

you'll need compressor, airline, brass fixings for the ends, spray gun, water trap (maybe optional but id get 1), assortment of sandpaper dependant on if theres damage or if you just want it repainted, paint, laquer, primer, thinners, hardener, a rotary polisher, masking tape, masking paper, mixing cup (about 3 or 4 will be fine), mixing stick (any bit of clean metal is fine or a clean screwdriver), couple of paint strainers.

most importantly, a clean dust free place to spray it, if youre doing it in a garage then give it a very very good clean out, brush all the ceiling down and wet all the floor when youre painting to cut down on the dust

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
What would i need to spray the tailgate of my car? I dont want to do it out of a can, and if it goes wrong it'll just be sent off to the bodyshop. Obv i'll need paint and a spray gun, what else? Cheers
were u from?
  • first you need a decent compressor that kicks out atleast 9cfm and has a decent tank on it . that will set you back a fair bit
  • then a decent gun , for £33 quid cant beat the clarke gravity fed guns with a 1.4mm tip
  • air line with fittings hvlp will set you back around £30 ish
  • thinners to clean gun with £15ish
  • sanding pads at £15 ish a box ( halfords dor assorted sheets which arent to bad at £3 a pack )
  • panel wipe £15ish
  • tac rags £3 ish from halfords or motorfactors
  • scotchbrite pads you will only really need one £1 if able to buy seperatly
  • masking sheet £35 ideally needed or use brown masking paper not sure howmuch
  • masking tape £8 ish
then your paint etc
  • paint £18 ish for 1/4 litre
  • primer £17 for a litre think halfords sell smaller amounts of high build primer cheaper
  • lacquer 1 litre £15 ish
then for after painting ideally you will need
  • flatting paper 2000grade ( and knowledge on how to properly use this
  • a machine polisher £50-£300 ish
  • mop heads £20 ish
  • polishes £30ish
that will be a rough cost oneverything you will need and obviously a bit of knowledge on how to set everything up and use everything , its not as easy as it looks . ive spent over a grand gettin a decent setup but i could justify spending that as ive made my money back many timesover on this kit and its usefull for otherthings so if you can justify spending this much then go for it otherwise id leave it to some 1 who knows what there doing .
hope this helps Matt

J03

MX5 1.8
whats point in paying all that when its going to be about the same if not cheaper getting it resprayed... i never think about buying all the things for major pannels.. maybe just trims but never a door or boot or anything similar..