ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring Options For 172 MKII

I think hill power to -15mm front and -25mm at the back, will improve handling without risking scraping your bumper!

Im on the verge of ordering some coilovers and getting my 172 used for some more track days this year - just cant quite decide whether to spend £500 on coilovers or put together a little more and get -30mm springs, viper and (hill power)chip... Decisions, decisions... :confused:

Im a bit worried that the standard shocks would die pretty quickly with just lowering springs (mine are already feeling a bit tired now) - has anyone else found this, and how much are 4 new shocks likely to cost?

Cheers

Matt

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 07 March 2003

I think hill power to -15mm front and -25mm at the back, will improve handling without risking scraping your bumper!

Theyre definitely more than that Rob!, more like 35mm at the front and 30mm at the back....supposed to be an all round 40mm drop but after a few ks the suspension had settled..
Koni adjustables to suit the HP supplied CD spring kits are something like £400ish + fitting. Nick @ HP gave me a quote but I cant find it now, plus you get a discount if your a member....... you could wait until your originals are worn and go for them......

Im suprised your original shocks are feeling tired, Ive had my CD springs for over 12k out of a total of 17k and they feel fine.....to me...:confused:

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Getting mine dropped at K-tec.....using their own springs. Would love their coilovers but at over £500 dont think I could get away with that one. Almost been rumbled about the stuff ive already had done. ;)

Been told theyre about 30mm allround.

Clio 1.6 16V

Arjun, I had my CD srings fitted today ....what a transformation. Body roll has almost disappeared, understeer reduced, steering sharper and much smoother and less twitchy over uneven surfaces and higher speeds. The kit I had fitted was an AVO Spring Kit 80-034 (35-40mm drop). Cost me £165 supplied and fitted. The ride height matches up exacty with K-Tecs (who I believe use CD springs) article in Mar/Apr Performance GTI and Cliosport thread. Measuring arch through centre of wheel to ground, 58cm rear, 59cm front. Only slight problem I had was a very slight rubbing on inner front wheel liner on full lock. Softened area of liner with heat gun and re-shaped slightly ...problem solved. Also much easier to wash the roof of the car now :D. Me a happy chappie!

ak_uk - Im also a bit suprised that my shocks might be a little tired already - but Ive done about 32000 miles now and the handling just generally feels a bit inert and less tight... Im thinking its either shocks or bushes and I remember a while back that quite a few Mk1 owners had shocks replaced while they were still quite new due to premature failure.

I just dont want to splash out on springs, then find the shocks need doing anyway which leaves me with a bigger bill than just buying coilovers in the first place! :confused:

Neil: Glad youre happy with them, and yes I forgot that K-tech use the CD kit....Suprised abut the rubbing on the front liners....didnt get that myself, or maybe I didnt notice! I find that fast left right flicks are so controlled. Its suprising how much lower 30-40mm really is visually as well.....

Matt: Dont know what test you can do other then a visual for leaks and the MOT bounce...BenR loked into some pukka coilovers but even then they were 1.2k. Which ones were you thinking of? Im in two minds about going for the Konis, only because I want to get the wear out of my OE shocks....and finances are dictating prudence at the moment....

The std. shocks on mine started to leak after 5K miles on PI springs. I then fitted KONI adjustables and that sorted everything out.

In my opinion one of the best mods for a std. 172 is uprated suspension.

Simon, can you tell me more about the konis, maybe even some pics? What Im interested in is how you set them up etc....:)

Good question. I took them to Elite in Essex and they did the fitting there along with a 4 wheel alignment. Im ordering a digital camera so will take lots of pics. including the shocks when I get it and post on the forum.

Im not sure what setting they have put them on and im told the car sits low by other 172 owners who have uprated springs/shocks.

I would wear the std. ones out first and then uprate. I defin. noticed a difference with the konis - the rebound is much better when hitting bumps/etc. The car also dropped lower.

Well done Neil - I had mine lowered and raised a few times and although Im not really into "looks", it looks just sooo high as standard!

Nice pics BTW ....