ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeeking noise from the engine

Hope somebody can help.

Basically say your looking at the engine bay of a 172, at the left of the engine block there is a belt. It used to squeek on cold mornings, then stopped and i though it was fine.

Then today started the car up on my lunch and its doing it constantly now? Can someone tell me what is wrong with it? And how much it will cost to fix?

My car currently sounds like some old womans metro that hasn't been serviced in 10 years, not cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:S

Cheers guys.

Ph2 172
That'll be your Aux belt. When was it last replaced? may also be your tensioner starting to seize causing the belt to slip. Same happened to mine few months back.

full service inc cam belt and accessory kit was done a year and a half ago, done 30k since then so shouldn't really be done it yet.

how much was yours to get sorted, and is it ok to drive or not?

Ph2 172
So you say the full accessory kit was replaced, tensioner, idler pulley too?

I only needed a tensioner but I bought a new full kit for mine and fitted it myself.

Is it still a constant loud squeel now?

yer all done, its calmed down a bit now, not as bad as it was, but still there, feels as if i've lost a lot of power though

yer all done, its calmed down a bit now, not as bad as it was, but still there, feels as if i've lost a lot of power though

The power loss could be psychological due to the noise, the belt isn't to tight is it? I'm having a stab in the dark here because I know very little about them.

Ph2 172
Try check the belt tension. Its hard to see or get down there I know. I had my bumper off so I could grab it & twist it. I could see it flapping slightly while running too.