ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SRS question - what's the point of a TRS towstrap?

What's wrong with the original, free, screw-in tow-eye?

Do people just do TRS etc straps for looks or do the world's motor racing circuits really not have a hook/anything capable of coping with a standard sized tow-eye?

The chance of bending a standard tow-eye beyond use in an accident seems extremely slim?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For race cars its probably down to weight and the fact its permanent. I can't see screw in style manufacturers towing eyes being all that safe.

For the sheep on here, they just do what ever the next guy does.

Having the standard tow eye in is illegal on the road when not being towed as it sticks out from the bumper, the strap is legal.

99.9999% of people have them purely because they think it looks good though.

Clio 172
I have a tow strap on mine for track use normally. Still got it in tho after silverstone in september as i couldnt be arsed to take it out. Alot of people just have them in for looks tho.

They look really cool, especially when accompanied by a 'TOW' sticker with an arrow pointing toward said strap. Looks just like the race cars.

182cup & 172 racecar
On a road car they look sh1t,flapping about like a tongue :p,even on our race car we have it folded over and cable tied up.

Had one on my Cup, mainly as I was doing a trackday every month and couldnt be arsed to take it out. My car was stripped out with wrap-arounds as well as being lowered/spaced loads with -3 Degrees of camber, so it was purposeful. However on standard cars it looks pony to be quite frank...

Qashcow
I kept mine in because I needed it on most excursions...

a50e59b0.gif

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive just bought one cause it looks dead cool and im going to fit it asap. Only joking will only be used on trackdays. Although parking the car in the garage at the last trackday with 2 or 3 people walking into the standard one, was quite amusing.