ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stage 1... complete

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep finally got round to doing it..

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538575__pict0048.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538596__pict0049.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538619__pict0051.jpg

Following up from this post

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=5&TopicID=36171&PagePosition=2http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=5&TopicID=36171&PagePosition=2

Im now ready for stage 2 :D I think this is gonna be soooo kewl.. just ordered the switch that will activate the xbox from inside the cabin.. (the switch cost £40 so you know its gonna be special ;)) but its on back order so I got to wait for it..

anyway.. stage 2 items.. bought and waiting to go in

The "modified" X-box + 2.4 GHz wireless xbox controller..

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538679__pict0053.jpg

The "modified" dashboard..(picture taken from my 20" telly.. scuse the quality)

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538768__pict0054.jpg

and finnaly the item that gonna power the x-box.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053538803__pict0055.jpg

all I need to do is draw up some wiring diagrams (so I dont blow myself up or set my car on fire), and wait for the damn switch to arrive... then I can put up a new guide for Cliosport "How to rip out the interior of a 172 including carpets" heh.

Once said interior is thus ripped out.. the x-box then goes in.. I guess I will have to fabricate some kind of holding mechanism for the xbox and mains inverter..

On a side note .. I was talking about how I was gonna achieve all this wiring to my GF.. she called me a "geek" .. she know me so well.. lol

(comming soon)

Stage 3: Wireless network on x-box

The wireless network will allow me to ftp into my house server and transfer some new films to it.

Stage 4: TV Tuner
Stage 5: DVD Navigation addon
Stage 6: Linux OS onto X-box (allowing voice control/voice replys to commands, downloading of latest news/weather/traffic etc.)

Additional work: putting my amp + subs into car, but will need to look into extended power through higher cap/additional batteries. Also getting the Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder and fitting it to output from xbox..

that is very very cool..... I like the idea of the wireless downloads too... my laptop is on a wireless router... never thought about it being used to download to the car though....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye well the wireless network will be expensive I think cause I need a WAP + a wireless bridge, the WAP attaches to the switch/router that I have allready conencted to the cable modem and the wireless bridge goes in the car..

Already working on a script so that on boot up linux checks for a network, if a network is present it will conect to my e-mail, download them, then read them to me while im driving to work (using a free text to speech program) ..

Its a challenge heh...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by ClioJohn on 21 May 2003

my mate has chipped his xbox aswell...its amazing
Ye it is.. it really opens up the box to do other things than playing games. I dont plan to, but you can hook up a usb keyboard and mouse and really get down to some serious computing :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

should be alright, there is rubber buffers on the hd mount inside the xbox, and i will probably end up fabricating a shock absorbant mounting, but to be honest 95% of the time the xbox will only be on when I am stopped cause its illegal to have tv/games/dvds playing while driving, but not navigation/radio/linux etc.. wierd eh..

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

I like your style... I thought I was bad with gadgets!

How much did you pay for your head unit if you dont mind me asking and wheres it from?

How are you gonna mount the Xbox, in the boot presumably?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Batesyboy on 21 May 2003

I like your style... I thought I was bad with gadgets!

How much did you pay for your head unit if you dont mind me asking and wheres it from?

How are you gonna mount the Xbox, in the boot presumably?
LOL, heh.. I am a self confessed geek :oops:..

The Alpine HU was £600 got it discounted from £999, yes the xbox will be mounted in the boot.

I will keep posting updates.. if only so I can go back and see what I have done so far, I am gonna add this project etc to my website for anyone elses info and I will be sure to make up FAQs for cliosport on how do rip stuff apart.

Lionel Richie

KDF, be careful with the XBOX, i tried my ps2 originally off just a boggo inverter wired to the back of the fag lighter but i got loads of interferrence, so i had to get a Sine wave inverter

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hmm, I should be alright.

Its a 300w invertor, I am gonna be using 100w which works out to 10amp, it is a modified sine wave inverter and its only running the xbox so it should be okay, its only really if you connected it to a clock, as the clock might run up to 3x faster than normal.. lol

How do you mean interference ? did you run the power cables for your inverter and the video/audio ones down the same side of the car ? as you are supposed to run video/audio down one side and the power down the other.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

thx mate,

If youre local and you want a help then no probs.. as you can guess I used to do this kinda stuff for a living (A/V techie)

The sub and box are faded out because the will not initially be put into the car and there is no powerline to the sub yet (which will probably feed from the same line as the inverter).

Lionel Richie

No mate, i ran the power cables down the passenger side, and the audio/video cables up the drivers side. I was getting a very loud buzzing noise and lines across the screen. It works perfectly with the new inverter

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Thats probably alternator noise, the new inverter you got probably had a filter for it..

Its okay then cause I already have a noise suppression filter fitted to filter out any noise.

silver valver/hybrid

fred, in most cars most of the power cables for the car (ie brake lights etc) run down the drivers side of the car, so ive always run the power and remote down that side and the other cables down the passengers side, never got any interference, even in fords which are terrible for it!

Ive gone and done it the wrong way then! Got power down passenger side and line-level cable down the drivers side.

Not got any noise at all but I cant get the trim back on under the drivers sill... any ideas?

:oops:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Batesyboy,

Ill help you with your problem if you can help me with mine ;).. (not really I will let you know when I rip out my interior this weekend)

Anyway, here is my problem.

I have decided that I only want to use one switch to control the xbox and the mains inverter. So what I want to do is,

The power button inside the car will be hooked up to the amp remote out from the HU, that way the switch can only be activated if the HU is on (this will be a good safety feature so that the inverter cant be on while the key is out the car, in other words so I dont forget to switch it off, this bit is easy)

carrying on, once the switched is pressed it will activate the 12v relay which will the switch on the power for the inverter, the same relay will also send power to another relay that will wait for 1 second and then send a 100ms pulse to the xbox power button so that the xbox will then boot up.

Does anyone know where to get a circut/relay that will wait ~1 second, send a pulse, then go to sleep ?

thx.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

oh and the xbox power switch runs at 3.3 volt.. so no direct 12v signals to it..

Ill definitely give you a hand if I can... I can get you a simple circuit sorted out no problem.

Where abouts do you live? Im in the US until 31st May but would definitely like to see your setup. You going to Southend? Im probably going if I can stay awake during the day after my flight back from Houston (10 hours!).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Im all the way up in Edinburgh, so I doubt I will be going to southend but if im ever at a cliosport members meet your at I would be happy to run you through it (or kick your ass on Rallysport challenge ;))

Whatever happens when I get it sorted I will be putting details of how I did everything into my website as a lot of people seem to want to do it, but dont know where to start.

If you/or a friend can manage a circuit that would be great.

basically what I need is a circuit that when it recieves 12v it will wait for 1 second, then send a 3.3v(the 3.3v can be supllied from the xbox then looped back) pulse (for ~100ms). and then the circuit just goes to sleep till the next time it is powered up.

I am gonna go to maplins tommorow to speak to the boffins there, but any help you can give is excellent.

I will be installing all the cabeling on Saturday, so will be able to let you know about the trim on drivers side (will take pix).

cheers.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Batesyboy,

dont bother about the circuit diagram.. I have got it sorted thanks to some research, a few burnt fingers from my soldering iron, some sweat and some blood.. roll on saturday when all the cabling goes in.. pix to follow.

Ha ha... you think youve got problems... stuck here in Houston literally having an nightmare... I woke up at 6am having dreamt I spent a whole day working in Bagdhad scraping blobs of solder of the floor of the town square surrounded by natives selling spices... think Im working too hard!

Why cant I have nice dreams about Bubbles and stuff http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/otn/wink/thumb.gif if you get my drift... (and now theres no stopping me with the smileys!).