ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stainless Steel Bolts!! Decat

After the trouble i had Monday trying to remove my CAT in order to replace with a DE-CAT im hoping someone will know where i can pick up a set of stainless steel nuts & bolts.

3hrs i wasted trying to remove the bolts holding my cat on Monday - 3 HOURS! the bolts had corroded so badly that we couldnt unscrew them. In the end we grinded 3 of the nuts off - leaving one (the top one) holding the cat on. We tried every type of tool you could think off - to the point where to managed to remove it with a hammer and screw driver! i just hope i havent done any damage to my manifold as ive a nasty vibration sound now every where i drive. i hope its just a mount that come loose, seem to be coming from the rear end of the exhaust system?! :confused:

So anyway - dont wunna go through the same thing @ MOT day - where can i find some none crorrosive nuts and bolts from?

3 hrs? feck me Id have been cutting them off within 10 mins! Local engineering firm is your best bet for stainless stuff.

I used zinc plated stuff, alot cheaper and easier to get hold of, and does the same thing. Look out for B.Z.P. on the packets Bright Zinc Plated.

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 17 March 2004

I used zinc plated stuff, alot cheaper and easier to get hold of, and does the same thing. Look out for B.Z.P. on the packets Bright Zinc Plated.
where can i find these? - i take it we are not talking local B&Q etc.. ?

Those 3hrs done me in i can tell ya, feck knows how the likes of kwikfit do it day in day out - they must have special cutting tools etc.. as i can assure you this nut was not coming off unless it cut!

My poor valver - its making all kinds of noises now :( - hope i havent cracked my manifold.

went to fit my decat the other day and mine are in the same state as your were! so have decided to leave it until i have a good bit of spare time to do it