ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standalone ECU Patch Point For Laptop?

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Hi all I recently bought a mk1 itb'd clio running Canems standalone management. (All work done by Danny @ 519).

I want to run the cable into the glovebox but I don't want to leave a wire in there what I want is a female usb connection on each end and a plate of some description so I can run the run the cable from the ecu to the plate and then just stick in a double ended male usb cable from the plate to the laptop.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they have mounted thiers as I need some inspiration

Thanks
Dan

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
why I want the patch point in there. Its most probably going to have another map put on so I want to do it for ease.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should be no problem at all doing what you suggest, USB is quite happy to have a couple of joins in it.

Do you run a USB apaptor though as last Canems I had to map was serial no USB, if so doing it your way that USB adapter is then going to be on the the car all the time, so surely it would make more sense to do it on the 9 pin serial side instead?

I must have read it wrong - I assumed he was going to be fitting it to the bulkhead.. If running all the way to the glovebox surely just use a usb extension cable and leave the female end in the glovebox? lol

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Yeah tbh I wanted a plate so I wouldn't have drilled holes in my glovebox just wanted it to look tidy tbh. Not to sure on this serial pin thing u on about chip.

also no fear of getting wet non sunroof shell. I have KUX Snowmans old motor

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does the plug on your ECU look like this:
MacBook-Pro-USB-port.jpg

or like this:
250px-Serial_port.jpg

Ive only ever had to get involved with a few CANEMS cars (TBH its not something I would really recomend although I hear the margins are good if you are a retailer so maybe thats why some folk do) but all the ones I have done, they have had a 9 pin serial port on them NOT a USB port like you are mentioning.

So if you are using a USB port on your laptop, then instead of just a lead you must have a convertor?

If so the converter is USB one end and serial the other, in which case I would put the port as a serial one if I were you not as USB, so the adaptor stays part of the laptop not part of the car.

Although BOTH will work just fine.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Right sorry yes I do have a convertor its a 9 pin to usb convertor.

So you think I would be better off getting a extension cable to bring the 9 pin thing into the glove box. And then using my connector from there?

Ill look into those sort of plates then thanks

Yup - I'd put a serial cable to a patch port on the firewall if it was me - then you can just connect to that with your adaptor

Serial ports are easy to find - they're used on servers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right sorry yes I do have a convertor its a 9 pin to usb convertor.

So you think I would be better off getting a extension cable to bring the 9 pin thing into the glove box. And then using my connector from there?

Ill look into those sort of plates then thanks

Yes I do think you are better off doing that.

Just make sure that you keep track of which leads are crossed or not, you only want one crossover from the ECU to the Adaptor, so if both have they will negate and it wont work, so one must be straight one one must be crossed.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Sweet thanks guys ill give that a try. Unfortunately the convertor cable (to usb) has a female end so I wont be able to screw it in if I was to use the plate method but oh well its better than what I have got

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They are quite stiff anyway, I really cant see it coming apart unless you are properly yanking on it.