ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard car vs snetterton

Planning on getting some brembo hc discs and brembo pads as I use the car to get to work etc and don't want to spend big money on parts I don't need.

How many laps should I be doing as a max in a standard car before things start overheating etc?

Is snetterton hard on any part of the car in particular?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I don't see why you would have any issues with a standard car on there, I ran my old car around there with only uprated brakes, new shocks and cooksport springs and it was great fun! If you've not been around before perhaps try one of their notice evenings, normally 15-20 min sessions from memory which is a good enough time on track to get a feel for things.

Only thing I would personally do as im abit anal is change all the fluids for piece of mind but that's just me!

Yeah its just had new coolant and oil change the other weekend. I've got some normal dot 4 in the shed so will get the garage to do the fluid at the same time (I have no idea and best not try to fit my own brakes)

I took mine round there completely standard. Biggest problem I had was my tyres going off after 3-4 laps. Everything else seemed fine. Oh, apart from the wheel nearly falling off, make sure you check your wheel bolts as the heat has a tendency to back them off! I went out with an instructor who basically emphasised that I wanted it to last all day and drive it home, so a bit of mechanical sympathy is a good thing.

If your running 182 wheels the brakes may fade because of the poor cooling oz f1 and speedlines don't have the same issue.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Standard car is more than capable around a track.

If you want to stay out for longer at a time then you need to start thinking about brakes/tyres.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Brake fluid change is easy with a one man kit tbh :) Get it done if your fluid is old, easy one to knock off the list.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Uniroyals..

Unless it's raining sideways, you'll get through a pair of fronts in a day without trying.

Track tyres are the one thing I'd do to a standard car. Buy a second set of wheels with/without and put Nangkan NS2-Rs or whatever you want on .. then use those. Honestly, the difference is just out of this world.

I did a few days on T1Rs and UniRoyals and, well, it's just disappointing having to behave TBH. They just aren't meant to cope with the heat and forces that a track does to a tyre...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
100% agree.

On the road, absolutely perfect. Have had them mine on the road (they're still in the shed) when my Clio was more of a road than track car - now it's about 95% track so I've only got a set of drys and a set of wet tyres for track :grin:

Just do a few laps at a time and keep an eye on the pressures every time you come in.

I think you're somewhere near me (Basildon) if you fancy a go out in mine to feel the difference on the road, just bung me a PM sometime !

Sounds good! Im in two minds what to do with the car. Lightly mod (not power) and then get a Clio 200 when the mileage gets high and 200 prices drop or highly mod (turbo)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Sounds good! Im in two minds what to do with the car. Lightly mod (not power) and then get a Clio 200 when the mileage gets high and 200 prices drop or highly mod (turbo)

Get a 200 non turbo tbh, it will hold its value better than a modded 172!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I love them but can't justify the cost tbh, would rather have a bmw for the same price as a daily or in my case a cheaper bmw for a daily and a 182 for track!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Epas conversion or such like, I just keep an eye on the fluid tbh it's not a massive problem. I've had it before with normal road tyres though not just semi slicks.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I wasn't aware of PAS fluid boiling with sticky tyres. What (if anything) is the fix/prevention?
I was on PS3s so not slicks, but more capable than Unisports I'd have thought.

I would imagine replacing the fluid with fresh stuff would sort it. My pump was whining like a mofo though, but then it is 14 years old. I was looking at the EPAS conversion, but in reality the 172 is fine on a track with fluid PAS. Although at this age a few pipes/pump might need replacing, not to mention the fluid replacing completely as any water in the system will be the bit that boils.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I was on PS3s so not slicks, but more capable than Unisports I'd have thought.

I would imagine replacing the fluid with fresh stuff would sort it. My pump was whining like a mofo though, but then it is 14 years old. I was looking at the EPAS conversion, but in reality the 172 is fine on a track with fluid PAS. Although at this age a few pipes/pump might need replacing, not to mention the fluid replacing completely as any water in the system will be the bit that boils.

My pump was whining really badly, replaced it with a second hand jobbie but its still not 100%, better though. Most of the fluid has been changed, its had best part of 2 litres through it during changes so will see how it gets on tomorrow.

turbo 182
I wasn't aware of PAS fluid boiling with sticky tyres. What (if anything) is the fix/prevention?
Happened to me at croft last week, was only doing short sessions 15-20 mins came in fluid was slightly bubbling but not dis-coloured so allowed an hour to cool down took it for 2 laps came back in all looked fine so went out done 3 hard laps and bang power steering gone! The fluid had boiled and popped the seals
Off the pump and
Fluid all over the aux belt! Day over! So lost out on the full afternoon and the fix is to go epas which thankfully my turbo Clio is.
Was running the soft ns2-rs was hoping for more grip aswell tbh but they were new and hadn't fully scrubbed in properly since my day was cut shirt

Never had that problem in my old saxo and we must have done countless laps with no issues at all. That was hydraulic pas also. Was running CL pads so no brake fade either.

How much is epas?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My pump was whining really badly, replaced it with a second hand jobbie but its still not 100%, better though. Most of the fluid has been changed, its had best part of 2 litres through it during changes so will see how it gets on tomorrow.
I'd have thought if you're replacing it because it's whining on track you might aswell go new? £95 apparently.

turbo 182
Never had that problem in my old saxo and we must have done countless laps with no issues at all. That was hydraulic pas also. Was running CL pads so no brake fade either.

How much is epas?
must be a clio thing? ive known 2 pumps go and 3 different cars boil the fluid on track, why would the brakes affect the power steering? and im not sure tbh was fitted as part of my conversion

turbo 182
ive just gone for the cl5 for the brembos i used to run ds2500 in the standard calipers and they were very good, hoping the cl5 with the new calipers will be a even better package

A bit of a random one but does anyone going to snetterton have the inside door pull for a clio 172? The plastic bit where the mirror and window adjuster buttons live?

Long story short. "Hand fat" does not mix well with spraying.