ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard Cold Air Feed for Valver

On the standard air box for the Valver where does the air feed go? Was having a look and it seems to go to the back of the bumper. But from what i can make out there seems to be a black cover on the end of the pipe. Is this correct? Can i take it out? Will it make much difference?

Dont want a IK, dont really rate them for performance. So i thought id just modify/customise the standard airbox and add an uprated filter. What do you techies recommend?

Goes down into the bottom of the bumper,comes out horizontally and has a bend with the opening.

If you knock the black plastic bit out you can take out the bend and basically youve got yourself a forced air feed for the airbox.

Your right about the IK especially on the valver

Yeh thats the one. Does this plastic plug just knock out then? had a little tap ealier but no luck. What about adding another air feed? Any ideas?

Cheers!

ITs a bit of a bastid, you need to knock the 4 little washers off behind it.

Best to jack the car up, undo the plastic nut and pull down the splash sheild bit, then with a bit of swearing you should be able to get a pair of pliers and take the washers off which will release the black plug.

I just hacked mine off cos i know i wont want it back on, you may wish to be more careful. take out the other side aswell or itll look wonky.

More cold air is better but i think its fine as ive said, the air that goes into the hole will be rammed up the pipe into the airbox, a performance element is the best plan for the airbox. think this is better than a IK certainly it worked for me, ive got a hill power kit on mine it sounds better but dont think it is as good as the original air box power wise, not in the summer anyway.

I think i had to cut away the black pipe so that it just sticks into the cavity so the air just goes strait up.

Its as good as any viper style induction kit i reckon, and isnt a few hundred quid.

Yeh nice one. Gives me a Mission for the weekend! Nice bit off DIY modding and testing down the road!! hehe. Those elements are all the same i suppose? Or you reckon theres a better one out of them all? Cheers Paul.

Pete, you enjoy the roundabout action last night!!?

ok, this is what i did to my williams. Take out the fog lights (i think they look crap anyway and i never use them). Find the end of the air pipe that goes to the air box. It comes down from the engine and bends up. Get two bits of pipe and run the from the fog lights to the end of the air pipe ducting. Voila, air rushes in the fog light hole and into the air box. You will have to put some kind of filter on the piping. I used a fine gauze. I put wire mess grilll over the fog light hole for cometic reasons too. Also i dont know what will happen in the wet. I havnt run it in the wet yet and im not sure i will until further research is done. I also put in a green performance filter element. Overall, im happy that it is a big impriovement over the original layout.

yes did enjoy the roundabout action! kris shat his pants in the back apparently!!!

got no complaints about getting it running better. just make sure you fix those bits too!!!!!

Clio 172 cup

King stromba, is right its exactly the same as ive done dont bother knocking out the black plastic plates it will only make the bumper look a mess and youl never get the bloody things back on again just take out the passenger side head light and fit a scoop in its place , now the black plastic pipe that comes from the air box and sticks up vertically, chop that off but leave a couple of inches sticking out, then connect a pipe from that to your scoop, you will only need about 15" of pipe!

BMW 320d Sport

Wet weather isnt a problem. I did this mod a couple of years ago, in an earlier incarnation of my valvers many mods! Seriously, even if youre driving in really hard rain you only get a bit of damp up the pipe and it doesnt do it any harm at all to the engine or the filter. Just make sure that if youre running it directly up to the airbox rather than an open filter, that you never ever go through a ford or standing water otherwise you might get problems.

Wouldnt you of said that taking out a head light would render the car a bit useless for normal use!? or did you mean Fog light?!?

Taking out the black plastic things makes the bumper look better - with them in in looks a little like you are missing something (like on lesser models where the fogs are blanked) in my opinion at least.

Ive seen one with the fog missing, really doesnt look very good

Clio 172 cup

Yeah sorry i meant foglight light

personally i think it looks the bollox, quite a few people have taken photos of my scoop at different car shows!

is the air feed on the 16vs the same as the rsis, if so then if i removed my fog lights should i be able to acheive the same results?

Id imagine its quite similar, but dont quote me on that...

Raiderman id be quite interested in a look at that if you have any pics of it? just whacked the airbox back on mine cos the heats killing the HPkit and it goes a lot better with the standard setup - just needs a better air feed really.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i did the fog light mod, but put a fibreglass scoop in, there is a restriction though from the old feed location, max feed width is about 55/60mm, i just widned this up so you can fit 100mm pipework in there. It does make a difference especially in this hot weather.

BMW 320d Sport

Paul Im gonna be delving around in there soon myself - Does that plastic insert bit that goes through the subframe come out quite easily? Thats what restricts it to around 60mm, but does it just pull out to give a 100mm hole through the metalwork? Or will I have to break out the jigsaw?

Correct me if im wrong, but is it not easier to perhaps add another 60mm feed to the standard airbox? Scooping from elsewhere?? Then youd have 120mm for forced oxygen. Or am i right up the wrong street?

Jigsaw i think... ive got to many cuts and bruises from my suspention efforts to delve into that part of the car and have a look...

If you look under the headlight theres a oval plastic plug which could be adapted to a further air feed maybe...

Im thinking the same as dust, although where the bloody hell from, cos there isnt to much room under there?!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

The plastic aint the problem, theres metal too, and not easy to cut whatsoever. I used a dremel, best thing for it. There is a big difference when you can get a big pipe in there, really starts breathing nicely especially on hotter days.

What dremel bit did you use? the mini grinder ones?? sounds like a good plan to be honest - just one monster air intake, id imagine this would allow a little of the induction sound out aswell??

do you need the bumper off for the cutting?? take it you have just cut around the old hole sort of thing?

Theres nowhere else you can find cold air under there its all way to hot.

poor mans (sensible mans) Viper then!?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i used a drill attachment to do holes next to each other in a 105mm diameter circle around the existing hole, then used a metal saw attachment (attachment was metal) to join the dots as it were. Then i used a grinder bit to finish off the edge. You should be able to do this without removing the bumper, just jack the car up and remove plastic liner (which will also need cutting)