ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

standard v's trophy

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Are there any major performance differences between a standard 182 and a trophy?

I ask cos the misses is looking to change her standard 182 to save a bit of cash but im tempted to take it on and trade my ageing Audi 1.8T and get her something a bit more economical, I'm a bit peeved as I was all set to get a Civic Type-R, will i be disapointed if i go for the standard 182? I know its fast and hard but does the trophy have an even harder ride?

Trophy is much faster. Will gradually pull away in each gear, will be a good few car lenths ahead on a striaght run.

On a track there would be an even bigger gap! Racing them, the Trophy driver would be able to finish, get out, have a w**k and the normal 182 may have finished.

Clio 172 mk2
Revels106 said:
Trophy is much faster. Will gradually pull away in each gear, will be a good few car lenths ahead on a striaght run.

On a track there would be an even bigger gap! Racing them, the Trophy driver would be able to finish, get out, have a w*nk and the normal 182 may have finished.

lol:D

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
There was a heated thread about this recently...

My thoughts are that Trophys will be a bit better, but then they are quite a but more expensive.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Revels106 said:

On a track there would be an even bigger gap! Racing them, the Trophy driver would be able to finish, get out, have a w*nk and the normal 182 may have finished.

LOL I love Revels.

Clio 172 mk2
darren_rallye said:
There was a heated thread about this recently...

My thoughts are that Trophys will be a bit better, but then they are quite a but more expensive.

That's got a lot to do with the limited production run though...not the fact that they are so much faster:D

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
bigfish said:
I'm a bit peeved as I was all set to get a Civic Type-R, will i be disapointed if i go for the standard 182? I know its fast and hard but does the trophy have an even harder ride?

Yep, the trophy does have a very firm ride. It's not too harsh as the dampers do an excellent job, but its deliberately set up to be quite firm, more so than the standard 182. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the standard 182, there's not that much difference, but the Trophy is superb.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Neil G said:
That's got a lot to do with the limited production run though...not the fact that they are so much faster:D

Yeh, and the fact that they are much newer too.

£ per performance I'd always go for a ph-quick; less than £5k in some cases, and you're hardly going to be falling behind on track/private roads. ;)

BMW 535D
i wouldn't say that the trophy was noticeably faster in a straight line than the 182, the one i raced hardly pulled anything on me in the m'way

A red missile
Revels106 said:

Whats the matter? wouldn't mummy let you have one :rolleyes:

bigfish said:
Are there any major performance differences between a standard 182 and a trophy?

Yep. Think of it like a 360 and a 360 Challenge Stradale, or if you're not living in a fuc king dream world think of it as a car and the same car with more expensive suspension and front seats, different wheels and a silly big spoiler so you can't open the boot properly. Or if you're lucky enough to own one think of it as the most fun you can have in a cheap 2005 car.

Does the 182 in question have the Cup suspension? I haven't driven a non-cupped 182, but I'd imagine the setup is noticably softer (20%?). This could be a factor in the ride quality difference you would feel between the 182 & Trophy i.e. more of a difference if the 182 doesn't have the Cup suspension.

Personally I would opt for a Trophy if I was buying just now, but I wouldn't think my abilities could extract much more from the Trophy. It'd probably be more rewarding to drive close to my own limits though :)

Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:
Does the 182 in question have the Cup suspension? I haven't driven a non-cupped 182, but I'd imagine the setup is noticably softer (20%?). This could be a factor in the ride quality difference you would feel between the 182 & Trophy i.e. more of a difference if the 182 doesn't have the Cup suspension.

I've never driven a cup packed one but mine doesnt have the cup packs and i will say that if the cup packed ones are 20% harder, then it must have an extremely harsh ride!

F/F Titanium 182
If i was you mate i'd go ahead with my first plan and buy a CTR, the Honda is a far more polished and well build product.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Davey_182 said:
If i was you mate i'd go ahead with my first plan and buy a CTR, the Honda is a far more polished and well build product.

I wasn't that impressed with the one i drove, but you are right in saying they a far better build product.

Honda Civic Type R
Davey_182 said:

good shout. although a trophy is more exclusive. btw are you talking current or new ctr